4K KVM

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Atomicslave

Dec 3, 2014
Hello friends!

My work has put some invasive vpn settings on and because of this I would rather not VPN in now from my home machine. So they agreed to purchase me a KVM so I can switch my desk setup over to my work laptop.

My requirements to future proof this purchase and also get something that works well for me as well.

4K minimum dual monitor support (ideally 3 but might not be possible)

Display port/mini display or hdmi

minimum 2 inputs for pcs

I have been eyeing up these

Just wondering if any of you guys might have run across something that works well.

Last edited:

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
For that kind of money (those KVMs are ~$1k), could get a monitor that has an integrated KVM and supports DP MST. It's a feature I quite like on my Dell U3415W.

Reactions: Danic and Bert

Atomicslave

Dec 3, 2014
Will have to see if mine supports that but since the KVM is going to be a freebie kinda want to go fancy and also have the ability to hook the odd extra machine to work on etc.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
For that kind of money (those KVMs are ~$1k), could get a monitor that has an integrated KVM and supports DP MST. It's a feature I quite like on my Dell U3415W.
Ditto. Consider all the cable mess you will have here with dual KVM; this is probably better option.

I used software KVM (magic mouse) and it works great and no cable mess. I only used KVM for gaming with the fear of network latency but I think that is also not necessary.

MBastian

Jul 17, 2016
Düsseldorf, Germany
If your display(s) support DDC/CI you could set up hotkeys using ClickMonitorDDC(Windows) or ddcutil(Linux). I am doing that for a long time now and it works really great and you can do some really fancy stuff. Just be sure to check your displays DDC implementation. For example LG has abyssal support. My two Dell S2721DGFA displays are working perfectly and they accept DDC commands from any connected input. Any modern display should have at least 3 input ports so hooking up more than two machines shouldn't be an issue
For an USB switch I can recommend this, there should be 4 PC parts available. Note: You don't really need it if you are allowed to run Barrier or Synergy (or whatever KM sharing software) on your business machine.

Edit: Imho KVM switches are far too expensive, eat into your desk space and are not really neccessary anymore expept for some niche cases. My recommendation would be to convince your company to shell out the cash for 2-N good DDC/CI capable displays plus their mountings.

Last edited:
Reactions: nasi