48 Drive 4U Chassis: IBM Slicestor 3448 aka Chenbro RM43348

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nweav03

Mar 17, 2020
I've tried pin 9 with all possible combinations of the rest, no dice (that was my first thought too)

Last edited:

rolx

Oct 28, 2019
Not at home but if I remember correctly I tied mine to the ground on the MB and tied pin 9 to the case ground.

am45931472

Feb 26, 2019
I think I'm confused on some of the bandwidth math here and port connections. 2x 24 port expanders. all connections 12Gbit Sas. 3 SAS12Gbit per expander, so 6 total. Put another way 1x 12Gbit connection per 8x drive bay. Meaning 1500MB of bandwidth per every 8 drives (if optimially configured). Does this all sound right. also why the extra add in SAS 9300 cards. is that how these motherboards are connected to the 2x expanders.

I think i'm really trying to figure out how much bandwith is avalible to each drive. low-medium end hdd is maybe 150MB sequential, high end i think is in the 250MB per sec range. SSDs of course are much higher.

nweav03

Mar 17, 2020
Not sure if anyone is interested, but it turns out there is an issue with the CSE-PTJBOD-CB2. I'm not sure if it's just mine or a more general one (as i tested this board in a supermicro product and it worked fine). I purchased CSE-PTJBOD-CB3, and it worked perfectly with the 9 pin for ground. Thanks @kapone and @rolx for responding!

pvcsnathan

Apr 16, 2020
Did anyone ever identify a 3d printable caddy that's suitable for this chassis? There have been several mentions of printing some, but no link to a model (as best as I can tell). Worst case scenario, I can put my calipers to use and attempt to design something, but I'd rather not if someone is willing to share. :)

Firebug24k

Apr 12, 2017
I just bought one so I'm intersted in the 3d printed designs if anyone can share. Haven't managed to figure out the rail issue either but may just get some generic 1U ones, but would be nice to find the right King Slide ones.

Reactions: scobar

scobar

Nov 24, 2013
OK so I got my chassis in yesterday. Today I was rummaging around spare parts/misc parts looking for something which could work to hold the drives within their slot. I had some stick on foam squares I came across which seem to keep the drives where they need to be. It's not pretty but does seem to work in this quick fit test. The issue I could see is with some heat cycling the adhesive gives way.

IMG_20200806_123147.jpg

IMG_20200806_123335.jpg

IMG_20200806_123132.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: wallabi

kapone

May 23, 2015
You'll kill the drives with the generated vibration, unless you can couple the drives to the chassis properly. That's what a caddy's most important function is.

scobar

Nov 24, 2013
Honestly, I don't think I would put it into production with multiple drives in this fashion. Loaded up I cannot imagine that much weight pressing down on the backplane would be good.

Did order some of those optiplex caddies to mess with. Cannot find the OEM trays anywhere.

Firebug24k

Apr 12, 2017
Had a local guy make me some drive tray rails and 3d print them, one piece screws on to each side of the drive and they slide right in and fit perfect. Kind of weird that the left and right side of the drive have different width tray spacing so the left and right sides are slightly different. Still looking for some rails for the server as a whole though, no luck so far.

Reactions: scobar

scobar

Nov 24, 2013
So for the 2.5" bays out back.

Was a little worried I would need to redneck* a spot for OS drive(s) but was able to find a caddie that fits. Could not find the PN for what the case should have and took a gamble.

These caddies do seem to fit. Note I have not powered up the chassis with the tray but does seem to hit the stops on the case and the drive seats!
Now I did need to modify these to fit but the mod is simple.

DC_01.PNG

Red box=Pre-mod. The problem is the lock is too wide.
Green box=Post-mod. The lock now fits.

Process to mod:
  1. Buy caddy
  2. Once arrived, unlock the caddy and slide into its socket. Note: The locking tab faces up.
  3. Carefully (not like a cave man) attempt to lock the caddy, very gently a hand full of times with finger tip like pressure. This action will place the white 'cutting line' onto the caddy lock as it is transposed from the case-side trying to lock.
  4. Remove the caddy
  5. Use a small side cutters and remove the left 'square' as marked out by blue line in green box
Did attempt a sharp cutting blade but got a better(faster) result with a small side cutter.

*=Got a small alum bracket that holds 4x 2.4" drive with the addition of dbl stick tape and/or zip ties

scobar

Nov 24, 2013
I am having issues getting this chassis to power up. When I first gave it power, it was able to turn on, and the lights on the front lit up. The chassis started to beep then powered off. Since then, I cannot get the chassis to power up.

pathartl

Oct 22, 2020
Just chiming in after purchasing one of these. When I received mine I had a hell of a time getting it to boot. At first I thought it wouldn't boot with plain old DDR4 and needed RDIMMs instead. Got the RAM in today and the system would show on screen, but POST would be stuck at B0. Double checked the RAM slot configuration bafter checking out this thread and after putting everything in the right slot it booted just fine.

Luckily I have a Prusa i3 MK3s AND a Prusa Mini now so printing out the drive sleds was fast. Thanks to everyone!

wallabi

Jan 3, 2020
got this into my rack finally, decided in the end just to go with the 3d prints provided by llowrey. i dont have a 3d printer and used craftcloud3d.com and it cost about 60 dollars to have all 40 sets ( 80 pieces ) printed in white ABS and shipped. plenty enough cheaper than any used caddy's i could find.. but if u have something compatible laying around then power to u :). havent started work on the distro setup yet, will post a trimmed and tuned gentoo kernel cfg when i get it up.

Reactions: cesmith9999

Chi-TownWarrior

Feb 22, 2016
I'm thinking about picking one of these up. I know the PCI slots are low profile, but has anyone tried to put a high profile card like a GPU in one of these to see if it'll clear the lid?

wallabi

Jan 3, 2020
I'm thinking about picking one of these up. I know the PCI slots are low profile, but has anyone tried to put a high profile card like a GPU in one of these to see if it'll clear the lid?
it would clear the lid, its a low profile bracket just for compatibility with most server cards, but there is about 2 inch's of clearance above it.. but the cpu's are directly behind the pci slots, so it would have to be 1 of those short cards, so u could probably put like a 1660ti in it, .. im guessing this is for hardware transcoding in plex? there is only 1 free pci slot in the stock mobo, i decided to use it for a 10gbe sfp+ card...

Last edited: