48 bay hotswap chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
Problem there is 2.5" HDD's max at 1TB last I checked. Chenbro has had 50-bay cases for 3.5" disks for a few years now but they're simply impractical for various reasons, the biggest being it requires multiple people to move and handle it. There are actually 2 or 3 cases off the top of my head that will do 72 x 3.5" drives in 4U.

coolrunnings82

Mar 26, 2012
Problem there is 2.5" HDD's max at 1TB last I checked. Chenbro has had 50-bay cases for 3.5" disks for a few years now but they're simply impractical for various reasons, the biggest being it requires multiple people to move and handle it. There are actually 2 or 3 cases off the top of my head that will do 72 x 3.5" drives in 4U.
Holy cow! 72 drives? Can you imagine the weight of that? You'd need a forklift! You're right though, 1tb isn't that great for space... That said, that many SSDs and you'd have a wicked fast box! Probably couldn't find other hardware to keep up with that much bandwidth too easy.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Doesn't Supermicro JBOD do 88x 2.5" drives. Interestingly enough, they do not have a 48 drive competitor to this Chenbro unit that I am aware of.

ehorn

Jun 21, 2012
Problem there is 2.5" HDD's max at 1TB last I checked..
Agreed. 2.5" is not first choice for massive storage (i.e. storage density). Maybe IOPS density would be a better descriptor, as these configs surely raise the ceiling on IOPS.

peace,

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
I would have to think that vibration would pretty much destroy the performance of any array with that many drives spinning side by side. Now SSDs...