44 cores 512gb X10DRG-Q 4-way SLI

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Venturi

Apr 22, 2016
maxermaxer

the Darkbase Pro 900 is quite a monster, and much bigger presence then the p5. With that said

The original intent was quiet thermal management and fitting the board itself.

on thermal:
the p5 has an open design, noise is very little the only audible noise is the little fan on the chipset of the x10drg-q.
The front has a glass cover or lean depending if you buy the tempered glass version of the p5.
The front, top, back and bottom are open and allow full cooling. Check earlier parts of the post for temps on high usage that are less than 15F above room temp. I don't know ANYONE else with temps as low as me (also because of using the right tim, heatsinks, fans, setup etc)

On fitment:
The Darkbase pro 900 would have to be heavily modified to fit all the pcie slots. If you look at the back of the car you're going to have quite some work to make that happen and you will end up cutting off the whole back (everything) from the pro 900.

The P5 is not much better as you'll have to fabricate a few pieces if you want all 7 slots, but if you want just the base 4 (8x spaces) you can use the included bracket with the p5.

so there is some work to be done on the p5 to make it work. I used the sliding motherboard tray from a casuals workstation as the motherboard plate, drilled out the corresponding missing standoffs and mated that to the p5.

I had no choice as I wanted ALL the pie slots to be available

I'm on a trip right now, but when I get back I'll emceed pictures taken during the build

if you can make the Darkbase Pro 900 work for you that would be great. I was catering to thermal, visual, and functionality when I used the p5.

seriously, the only noise you hear is the damn chipset fan. I'm looking for a solution for that still

Reactions: gigatexal

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
Make sure whatever enclosure you purchase has 11 expansion slots or more. I ended up using the lian li d8000. I have 2 noctuas on my board and the sound is home office acceptable even during a render.

Venturi

Apr 22, 2016
Is it not just as simple as swapping it with a suitably-specified Noctua?
unfortunately not

Ive been unable to find a micro fan that is any quieter and that would fit in the same spot on the same heatsink
It requires a heatsink fan combo on the motherboard chipset that can be flat enough to fit under the 4 video cards that come over it. I have 1 cm of room/height to play with for heatsink/fan height.

A passive heatsink 1 cm tall would still need to route the cooling pipes out of the way as well

so, no, its been a pretty tough

BUT PLEASE GIVE ME SUGGESTIONS!!!

Venturi

Apr 22, 2016
Make sure whatever enclosure you purchase has 11 expansion slots or more. I ended up using the lian li d8000. I have 2 noctuas on my board and the sound is home office acceptable even during a render.

OMG the lian-li d8000 is a MONSTER

Its HUGE, its BIG, it would be TOO DEEP, I don't think I could even fit that in.
(everyone likes to have those problems)

It wouldn't even fit under my desk much less my room! And its too deep to have it under the desk (if it would fit) without it hitting the back wall

My hat's off to you, the lan-li would have it all so much easier for me, but I couldn't fit it

The chassis would have been a dream to work with compared to the thermaltake P5 and it was on my list at the top, but I gave in to the Dremel instead

The lianli would have turned two weeks of creative engineering into 3 hours of normal build.

Believe me, there where moments where I was going to give up on the P5

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
maxermaxer

the Darkbase Pro 900 is quite a monster, and much bigger presence then the p5. With that said

The original intent was quiet thermal management and fitting the board itself.

on thermal:
the p5 has an open design, noise is very little the only audible noise is the little fan on the chipset of the x10drg-q.
The front has a glass cover or lean depending if you buy the tempered glass version of the p5.
The front, top, back and bottom are open and allow full cooling. Check earlier parts of the post for temps on high usage that are less than 15F above room temp. I don't know ANYONE else with temps as low as me (also because of using the right tim, heatsinks, fans, setup etc)

On fitment:
The Darkbase pro 900 would have to be heavily modified to fit all the pcie slots. If you look at the back of the car you're going to have quite some work to make that happen and you will end up cutting off the whole back (everything) from the pro 900.

The P5 is not much better as you'll have to fabricate a few pieces if you want all 7 slots, but if you want just the base 4 (8x spaces) you can use the included bracket with the p5.

so there is some work to be done on the p5 to make it work. I used the sliding motherboard tray from a casuals workstation as the motherboard plate, drilled out the corresponding missing standoffs and mated that to the p5.

I had no choice as I wanted ALL the pie slots to be available

I'm on a trip right now, but when I get back I'll emceed pictures taken during the build

if you can make the Darkbase Pro 900 work for you that would be great. I was catering to thermal, visual, and functionality when I used the p5.

seriously, the only noise you hear is the damn chipset fan. I'm looking for a solution for that still
Thanks for the prompt reply even when you are on the trip. Yes I think I have to do a lot of mod to the DarkBase Pro 900 to make it work. I hesitate to cut anything on that chassis since I feel it would make the back of the chassis look awkward.

At the moment I am studying the 11X slots chassis of LianLi (聯力工業股份有限公司 Lian Li Industrial Co., Ltd. | PC-A76). It looks quite solid. Have you encountered any other chassis that you should have used, after building the system mentioned in this post?

No hurry to reply since you are on the trip. Take your time!

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
I'd look into caselabs at this point. Design is a bit too simple, and have some misaligned lines in my perfecionist opinion.

ps. @Venturi, you're mentioned that want to install glass on top/front. Thermaltake recently released exactly that. P5 with glass panels. Check it out.

Last edited:

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
I'd look into caselabs at this point. Design is a bit too simple, and have some misaligned lines in my perfecionist opinion.

ps. @Venturi, you're mentioned that want to install glass on top/front. Thermaltake recently released exactly that. P5 with glass panels. Check it out.
Hi TLN, would you mind sharing the link where you saw this? Can't find it on their site......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
Hi Venturi, I am now building a similar rig as the one you built. The following is the spec:

1. CPU: E5-2683 v3 X 2
2. Motherboard: Supermicro X10DRG-q
3. RAM: 128GB Samsung ECC Ram
4. GPUs: 4 x GTX 1070
5. PSU: Corsiar 1500W
6. CHASSIS: Thermaltake Core P5 Temper glass Edition (Was trying to get Lian Li but it will take 1.5 month for the chassis arrive...)
7. SSD: Plextor 256G PCIE SSD

I have done heavy modding to the chassis. It's a difficult and also fun process. I will post some photos later.

Now I actually have a few questions for you and appreciate if you can help answer:

1. What exact model of CPU heat sink do you use? I know it is ILM format but I am not sure which model you use.

2. Where did you get the little piece of extra 3-slot expansion slots supporting plate (not sure I make it clear what it is since I don't know the name of that little thing. Sorry for my English vocabulary)

3. Why do you use Windows Server 2012 instead of Windows 10?

Venturi

Apr 22, 2016
Absolutely no problem

first- MAKE SURE YOU SET UP BIOS CORRECTLY
then:

1. For heatsink I use the narrow ILM

Noctua NH-D9DX
I did replace the fans with less ugly black similar performance 92mm, very very quiet

2. I had to make that 3 slot expansion you referenced. I dremeled a 3 slot section from an old computer case, its all I could think to do at the time. About 5 minute effort and then shot it with a few strokes of flat black automotive spray paint (about 7 bucks from auto store)

3. (takes deep breath all Ace Ventura about to give a list)

In comparison to windows 10, Windows 2012r2

Privacy
Is faster with multi socket numa structures.
I can decide my updates
No telemitry
Privacy
Better privacy control
no win10 forced updates
no cortana
*Privacy
faster Vulkan
*faster array response
*I use cache on die with my cores, win 10 has issues that would have to be fixed in registry
*Full control over desktop
*ALL my games work with server 2012r2, a handful will NEVER work on Win10
*2012r2 is a better desktop experience than windows 10
*Nvidia driver work better if you are doing VM, they are gimped in w2010
*There are websites to convert 2008, 2012, and 2016 to a workstation, they are useful references AND converting 2012r2 to full desktop experience only takes a few minutes.

Convert your Windows Server 2012 to a Workstation!
*Privacy
*Faster response across most aspects including it just 'feels' faster
*When idle I have only 7 items/processes in all in task manager
*Better memory handling
*Better threading

In comparison to windows 2012r2, Windows 2010
*Dx12
(but... I don't have single instance in any games was better than Vulcan or DX11.2)
*Cortana... again.. lack of privacy
*Lack of Privacy
*telemitry -
yes, you can turn it off, but not completely

I'm working to convert server 2016 to desktop, but running into a few issues so far (but I'll get it figured out eventually)
1. Update engine is NOT suitable to a server, not enough control on selecting/deselecting updates
2. Telemitry - yes, you can turn it off, but not completely
3. Multiple telemitry and recursive services including
additional task scheduler services that re-enable telemetry even if they are deleted.

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
Thank you very much Venturi. One more question. Why do you need to put the MB on a tray instead of drill holes and stick it onto the chassis board? Do you want to rise the motherboard because of not enough expansion slot holes?

Venturi

Apr 22, 2016
Thank you very much Venturi. One more question. Why do you need to put the MB on a tray instead of drill holes and stick it onto the chassis board? Do you want to rise the motherboard because of not enough expansion slot holes?

I did that so that I had more room got the video card riser and positioning.

After I built it, I figured out I could have just drilled the stand-Offs right into the board.

however, I also needed it for the support tube that holds the video card power cables up, so that they cables are not hanging on the cards pulling them down

Reactions: maxermaxer

psylenced

Aug 21, 2016
I'm working to convert server 2016 to desktop, but running into a few issues so far (but I'll get it figured out eventually)
1. Update engine is NOT suitable to a server, not enough control on selecting/deselecting updates
2. Telemitry - yes, you can turn it off, but not completely
3. Multiple telemitry and recursive services including
additional task scheduler services that re-enable telemetry even if they are deleted.
I seem to remember reading about a very out of the box fix for the task scheduler issue. (This is from memory).

The task scheduler would create tasks by creating a file in %systemroot%\System32\Tasks

What they tried to do was fiddle around with permissions and creating dummy files to stop that task getting recreated in which none of that worked, windows always won.

The fix that did work however, was to create a directory with the same name of the deleted task.

While windows can do whatever it wants to recreate the task file, it cant create it if the new file will create a duplicate directory entry.

Venturi

Apr 22, 2016
I seem to remember reading about a very out of the box fix for the task scheduler issue. (This is from memory).

The task scheduler would create tasks by creating a file in %systemroot%\System32\Tasks

What they tried to do was fiddle around with permissions and creating dummy files to stop that task getting recreated in which none of that worked, windows always won.

The fix that did work however, was to create a directory with the same name of the deleted task.

While windows can do whatever it wants to recreate the task file, it cant create it if the new file will create a duplicate directory entry.

ok, I got that to work, slightly more complicated than I was anticipating but yes.

I still don't have a solution to the windows update service, that is a different problem that cannot be solved locally ;)

Reactions: psylenced

Venturi

Apr 22, 2016
Small update,

the pc/server is now using (4) four Titan Xp cards....
...blistering cuda performance

Venturi

Apr 22, 2016
...I don't think you know the headaches that come with it.

As far as posting pics, the Titan XP are visually IDENTICAL to Titan X Pascal, so... a bit of a letdown, same cooling solution.

but I may post some scores/benchmarks in the next week or so

Reactions: gigatexal