44 cores 512gb X10DRG-Q 4-way SLI

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Nnyan

Mar 5, 2012
Ok so maybe I'm missing something but I just don't see why everyone is going ga-ga over this build. I hate to do this but it's complete trash. Waste of time, space and money. I think it's shameful for Venturi to come here and post drivel like this. IN FACT it's so completely and utterly BAD that he should just write this off to a learning experience and start over from scratch. It's such a stinking pile of poo that he should IMMEDIATELY box this up (using instant hardening liquid foam and a sturdy crate) and ship it to me (Venturi: look for a PM with my home address) as he should not risk further contamination by touching that monster.

I will of course take one for the team and take custody of this monstrosity and do a proper funeral. Sorry for the delay in posting this but I had to get a larger towel b/c of the sudden onset of drooling that has mysteriously afflicted me.

Venturi

Apr 22, 2016
You're right. I'm ashamed. Maybe I could write a check to take it from me since you're really doing me a favor?

Thank you by the way, that was very flattering :)
And one of the best responses I've seen

Last edited:
Reactions: Nnyan

Keljian

Sep 9, 2015
Melbourne Australia
Words fail me, awesome build.

Still.. I can't work out why you would need all of that ram and all of those cores in this day and age.. Please clue me in.

I have 4 cores in all my machines, can't really find a reason for more in the work I do.

Venturi

Apr 22, 2016
Words fail me, awesome build.

Still.. I can't work out why you would need all of that ram and all of those cores in this day and age.. Please clue me in.

I have 4 cores in all my machines, can't really find a reason for more in the work I do.
back in the early 90's I remember someone asking me why u would ever need more than 2MB or ram

The medical imaging software I use can use up almost 300GB of ram if I 3D several comparatives at the same time or if I fuse multiple exams into one view

The isotope software I use can thread out to 64 cores and takes 17 seconds vs 14 minutes on a normal system

When I have to fix multiple DBs in VM, each VM with 16 cores and 64GB of ram, the extra cylinders help.

Is all that power necessary, no.
But faster, thorough and easier? Yes.

...and don't get me started on my gaming

Last edited:

Keljian

Sep 9, 2015
Melbourne Australia
My hat is off to you sir! I am all about excess (eg 32gig in my desktop when 16 would generally be overkill for my use) but 512gig of ram and 44 cores?

Have you named it? Personally I like the name "Fluffy"

Venturi

Apr 22, 2016
Some critical updates for those technically minded individuals (all the members of this forum)

Supermicr otherboard update
New bios fixes so many little issues - my compliments to supermicro

Motherboard itself, new same board, noticed some different components and a few minor revisions, still labeled as vs 1.02

Current build:
Supermicro X10DRG-Q
2x E5-2699 v4 (44 cores/ 88HT) (3.7ghz turbo)
512GB ram DDR4 2400mhz ecc reg
(QUAD SLI) 4 Titan X PASCAL
2x Samsung NVMe 961 Pro pcie 3.0 (os drives)
10x Samsung 850 Pro SSD RAID (apps drive)
LG 31MU97z 4096x2160 true 4K rev C
modded P5 case, Noctua heatsinks
Digital power supply 1600w
Windows Server 2012 R2 Data Center, Ubuntu 15

I also have moved to the larger faster Samsung 961 nvme drives

IMG_2582.jpg

THE LARGEST UPDATE IS:
I have fully functional quad sli using the new Titan x pascal cards.

Point 1
I've had the cards since day 1, all 4 cards are sequential numbers.
The cards came with a new back plate which acted as a thermal insulator, removed the back plate and heat dissipation is so much better. If you buy these cards remove the back plate immediately. The back plate is paper this aluminum with a plastic layer on the inside. Obviously it was just for looks at the price of cookimg the cards

Point 2
Nvidia started off by disabling 4 way sli, and making folks buy a new high bandwidth bridge to get the most out of the maximum 2-way sli.

Sub point a.
The new driver 372.54 renewables 3 and 4 way sli, due possibly relentless flaming and heckling from myself demanding g compensation for the lie that they communicated that 3 and 4 way sli would be enabled with a free enthusiast key, which they dropped and dropped anything higher than 2 way sli

Sub point b.
The regular stiff metal plug 3 and 4 way sli bridges such as evga v2, works the same without any performance impact.
The plastic plug and ribbons, and ones such as the plastic plug asus ROG and evga v1, they are low bandwidth and will impact performance

Sub point c - and the most complicated
The sli bridges on 4 way sli are not populated with 8 connectors, they are populated with 6 connectors.
The monitor connected video card in the 4 way sli build has only one connection from the other three cards.
I've made a hybrid connection bridge layout connecting all video card sli pathways from the bridge and performance is higher than any other sli bridge configuration.

This means that a potential bridge with full connectivity would boost sli performance to the order of 20-25%.
Maya that is in the plans or not from nvidia. But as soon as I refine it, I'll post those findings and schematic.

Point 3
If tiny are going to sli, one must makE their own sli custom profile for applications/games.
Most of nvidia sli profiles are crap and use very little of the power from cards 3 and 4. Sli scaling with the nvidia default profiles is good at best for 1.2-1.8 scaling in performance. Build the custom profile yourself and in example, I'm getting 3.2-3.3 scaling in performance

Last point, the most important -

MOST IMPORTANT POINT

One cannot have good sli scaling higher than 1.8 UNLESS you build your sli system on a multi-cpu and multi socket system with alternating cpu lanes per video card or tesla card.
And if you NUMA optimize your app, you have to take that into consideration
And
You have to have COD (cache on die) enabled for you cpu snoop function, and...
...maybe I shouldn't give out too much secret sauce just yet!

If you are not multi socket YOU CAN NOT get real 3 and 4 way sli performance.

I have lots of details on this.

IMG_0297.JPG
Anyhow
I hope you have found this info helpful

Detailed pictures and explanation to follow next:

I am only using the game benchmark as way of using a reproducible standard benchmark that is devoid of paid for optimization so such as fire strike , 3dmark, catzilla, steam, etc

So I'm using the built in 'benchmark c5l1" and "benchmark c5l2"

So here is the setup
Driver 372.54

Test material apples to apples

Painkiller Black
Havok physics enhanced mod - 24 threads
Texture mod, running at 32xAF (yes, I said 32x AF)
FXAA - more than that is wasted at that resolution
Full light mod
Full shadows mod
Ragdoll mod
Occlusion
High Q setting for optimization
Resolution - VERY IMPORTANT - 4096x2160

Again true 4K, 4096x2160

Running full eye candy Sli 4-GPU AFR 2 profile
Lane config is alternating by AFR 2 order, and matching all custom profile builds selecting the appropriate gpu to cpu, AFR2 layout.

From the bios shot you can see the layout I selected, please notice the what cpu goes to what pcie slot

image.jpeg

Here is the view with the glass side off

image.jpeg

Here are the bridge choices

image.jpeg

Here are some of my selected manual bridge builds

image.jpeg

So
This is the best score you can get with default brige - 303Fps is not bad at 4096x2160 with the fullest eye candy, custom profile is the same for all tests running benchmark c5l1
image.jpeg

This is with the higher v2 bridge (2 year old bridge) a 50fps increase, not bad
image.jpeg

Same bridge installed upside down so that primary card has both connections, score only went up a few fps, but look at the minimum frame count

image.jpeg

And the secret sauce
Manual build layout running the more intensive benchmark c5l2 with greater physics
This is a custom sli bridge layout (not the one in any pics, trying to decide if nvidia would consider it a slap in the face)

Important - my motherboard type -the x10drg-q is the only board type in the world with reverse order sockets. The primary video card is the first socket on the bottom of the board, NOT the closest socket to the cpu(s) like all the other motherboards. Yes, it comes from supermicro that way.

IMG_0298.JPG

390FPS average with peaks bouncing ar 1024FPS (game engine limitation)

So
Thought you might appreciate what is to come, these config schemes may also help those running tesla and optimizing everything from Cuda to games.

So, just on bridge config at 4096x2160, I went from 302FPS average, to 390FPS average.

...and honestly, --with full eye candy and physics, almost 400 FPS-- at 4096x2160, isn't all that bad...

Thx

J

Last edited:

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
Daddy like.... Now all that's left is to get some liquid cooling in the titan xp's and do some custom cabling.
Completely over the top. On a regular day how are you finding the titans for computation?

Venturi

Apr 22, 2016
The Pascals have some additional computational and cuda enhancements over many dual purpose cards. HOWEVER, before the upgrade I was using the prior 4 Titan X SC, so the jump was not as earthshattering as one would think.

The other purpose they serve is reconstruction and isotope calculations, as well as medical imaging

Daddy like.... Now all that's left is to get some liquid cooling in the titan xp's and do some custom cabling.
Completely over the top. On a regular day how are you finding the titans for computation?

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
This is amazing! I bet it must have costed a fortune. What's your main use for this system? And I didn't even know e5 xeons came with so many cores!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venturi

Apr 22, 2016
It's my personal computer

It's used for gaming -everyone wants to hear that.

However
It is used for medical imaging , isotopes, oracle dbs, and lots of VMs

This is amazing! I bet it must have costed a fortune. What's your main use for this system? And I didn't even know e5 xeons came with so many cores!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Wlad

Venturi

Apr 22, 2016
Not sure what the next big upgrade is, but between Windows 10 abuse of privacy, Microsoft removing g the ability to control updates, and the trickery they have engineered for the past year, ...
...it's more like can we run a Linux distro on it ;)

Reactions: Sleyk