410 on HP DL165 G7 Hot Swap or not?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kodi

Aug 5, 2020
Maybe it's a stupid question. A friend of mine called me that his rented HP DL165 G7 is reporting a single hard drive failure. He called datacenter tech support and they said that sure, they can replace the drive, but it's not hot-swappable. Is there any way to check it? I thought that the whole idea of 410 in servers is to have hot-swappable hard drives in a case of failure. It's a middle of the night here and datacenter real tech support starts in a few hours (there is only a guy on a nightwatch but he doesn't have access to anything hardware). Server is mission critical and backups are current, but he would prefer to not take the machine down.

kodi

Aug 5, 2020
He finally got a response from a datacenter. Looks like someone configured that server with hot-swappable controller, hot-swappable drives, but put a non hot-swappable drive cage...
This thread can be closed.
EDIT: It was all lie due to a laziness of the staff. When I called them as a tech advisor to my friend it occurred they were just too lazy to check. My friend is with them for years and it never occurred to him they can lie to him. When I called out the guy from tech support that the server was supposed to have hot swappable drives as per agreement, the drive was hot replaced under 5 minutes... Time to look for another solution for my friend. 5 days with pretty high probability of disastrous event.

Last edited: