40gbe, 4x10gbe, Freenas, Windows 10, server 2016, and Switch

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jason Hirsch

Feb 12, 2018
I could use advice as I'm getting contradictory information.

I have a TrueNAS box being bought. It will ship with (what I assume is) chelsio 4x10gbe SFP+ connectors.
I have a series of nodes being built that need to be networked with said box. The nodes will likely run Windows 10 because of ... engineering stubbornness.

I had originally proposed a qsfp+ switch, but couldn't come up with drivers/compatibility for all those above systems.

What inexpensive options do I have for DAC for QSFP or SFP, and switch wise? Could I do something (as stupid as) 48 port SFP+ switch and just plug all my connections in, and LAGG them together?

The vendor lockouts/compatibility I'm reading about has me quite worried- I don't want to be constantly returning stuff for incompatible transceivers, and I haven't figured out what is compatible with what yet.

The switch I was looking at was a Netgear unit with SFP+ and QSFP+ connections, running about $4k.

Thank you kindly