40G QSFP+ options for LC

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

duckAsylum

Dec 13, 2018
Hi

I am thinking of upgrading my router (cutom built VyOS machine) to switch (a Mikrotik) connection form 10g to 40g. These Mellanox ConnectX-3 CX354A (HP 649281-B21) cards look promising but I am failing to come up with a reasonably priced QSFP+ module. My house is wired with MMF and SMF LC terminated fiber so my options are limited to 40GBASE-LR4 QSFP+ modules as those should be the only ones with LC connectors.

Looking at FS.com I can see:

Mellanox MC2210511-LR4 Compatible, 40GBASE-LR4 QSFP+ 1310nm 10km DOM LC SMF Optical Transceiver Module for 307€
MikroTik Q+31DLC10D Compatible 40GBASE-LR4 QSFP+ 1310nm 10km DOM LC SMF Optical Transceiver Module for 307€

there are also:
Mikrotik Q+89DLC150D Compatible 40GBASE-SR Bi-Directional Duplex LC MMF Optical Transceiver Module
Mellanox QSFP-40G-SR-BD Compatible 40GBASE-SR Bi-Directional Duplex LC MMF Optical Transceiver Module

but those have no price listed so I have no idea it they are even considerable.

Looking at eBay there are Juniper and Finstar modules running at 100 € a piece. Some weird KAIAM ones are as low as 50€ (shipping excluded) but I have no idea if those are compatible as many of them have conflicting information in the listing.

So basically my question is - am I missing something here or are my options very limited here i.e. on top of 500$ switch, 100€ NIC I will have to dish out another 600€ for the modules? Thanks!

klui

Feb 3, 2019
I recommend IR4, it can work in both single-mode and multi-mode fiber at the same time, and it has a good price on eBay

search for this: 740-056705
Only Juniper transceivers show up on eBay. No other vendors? Or is that a Juniper part?

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
If you don't care as much about SM and MM, a keyword you could try looking for is "BiDi". Also I think you have the wrong links to the fs.com items, LR4 use MPO/MTP (12 or 8 fibers with 8 active) not LC.

nasbdh9

Aug 4, 2019
Only Juniper transceivers show up on eBay. No other vendors? Or is that a Juniper part?
Essentially an OEM customized by Innolight and Finisar for Juniper
The original model is on the label, you can search for it to get more information

duckAsylum

Dec 13, 2018
Also I think you have the wrong links to the fs.com items, LR4 use MPO/MTP (12 or 8 fibers with 8 active) not LC.
I checked the page again and the specs say LC duplex on all four items (as it is also said in the item name). Possible that the page has some misinformation.

tochnia

Mar 5, 2022
Essentially an OEM customized by Innolight and Finisar for Juniper
The original model is on the label, you can search for it to get more information

nasbdh9 - Do you know if Juniper 740-056705 QSFP+ 40GBASE-LX4 use APC or UPC polishing for Single Mode OS1 Fiber cables?
As it is nowhere mentioned in description here: JNP-QSFP-40G-LX4

tochnia

Mar 5, 2022
For info for other people who will be looking into this following combination of Hardware/Software work perfectly:

Network Card:
Dell Mellanox ConnectX-3 CX354A (updated to 2.42.5000 and ports set to ETH)
Transceiver: Juniper 740-056705 QSFP+ 40GBASE-LX4
Optical Cable: Corning Fiber Optic Cable LC-LC SM DX 9/125 (Single Mode) 50 meters (cable polishing UPC - thanks nasbdh9!)
Switch:
Brocade 6610 - 40GB "Stacking Port" 1/2/1
Drivers: Windows Drivers for Mellanox (WinOF and WinOF-2 didn't want to install for some reason)

Biggest worry was about high power mode, as on transceivers is written 3.5W, which is supported only by ConnectX-3 Pro cards, so therefore have choose to use Single Mode Fiber cable /up to 2km with these transceivers/ rather than OM3 /up to 100m with these transceivers/.

There are two models of Juniper 740-056705 QSFP+ 40GBASE-LX4 - Which have same part number, and same characteristics but differ physically /one is longer, with less screws and covered coils/. One is "Made in China", other is "Made in Malaysia". But both models work with above config, and even one model on switch side and other on Network card work perfectly. Well done Juniper!

Last edited:
Reactions: romeyo