3x Seagate 4TB Expansion Portable External Hard Drive $299

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sfbayzfs

May 6, 2015
SF Bay area
In the reviews these come apart just like the Backup Plus everyone has been talking about, but don't seem to come with the free 200GB 2 year storage deal. I wish I could afford a fleet of these, oh well.

Reactions: Bradford

sfbayzfs

May 6, 2015
SF Bay area
If the reviews are to be believed, yes, although I do not have direct experience with this model - I used to get Toshiba externals exclusively after WD started putting the USB controller on the drive board (so when the USB chip failed I couldn't hook it up to a SATA port to get my data off) but Toshiba now does that as well for some for their shorter drives, so I started getting Seagates which have SATA drives inside according to reports. The older Seagates with the SATA part that just unplugged were a great idea, but my first generation of those run hot and get very slow for large transfers on USB 3.0, like slower than USB 2.0 speeds - I need to de-case them and see if they run faster with proper cooling. I did an experiment blasting the drive (not the USB controller) with dust-off as rapid coolant and they speed up again for a few minutes.