3G/LTE FOR backup connection

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
Good day,
I am installing a server I am very
Unstable service area for Internet. I would like to use an LTE USB modem for failover. But am limited for data usage. What's my best way to do this. Anyway to easily do it from windows. I also do not have access to a 3G router or modem. My only
Choice is plug in the device directly into the servers USB. Is there Anyway to do and only use the 3g when the main lan connection dies.
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Easiest way would be to get an LTE router designed to serve as a backup router. Look into Cradlepoint. Not cheap but will do exactly what you are asking for.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I have a couple cradlepoints -- although when I used them 3G and 4G were my only internet :) Worked great. I also got a internet-loss detector thatw ould power-cycle too. 3GSTORE has it all :)

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I just boot up my ubuntu router VM using iptables and masquerade the usb0 usb data conn to the VM and eth0 for LAN. :-D Simple/effective.

Reactions: wsuff

dwright1542

Dec 26, 2015
As a consultant, I actually provide backup internet as a service. You want to check ebay and find a cradlepoint CBA750 V2, with an MC200LE modem. I wouldn't use a USB modem; then MC200LE has much better antennas. You can then use something like a Sonicwall TZ series to fail over automatically.

You could also use a Cradlepoint MBR1400 to do all that in one box.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Most small business-class routers will offer this sort of thing as standard these days; I've been a big fan of the Draytek routers for ages and their middle-flagship 2860 range comes with out-of-the-box support for failover-to-USB-3G/LTE and their new 2860Ln has this built in if you prefer the integration.

Don't know if they've made much of an impression leftpondian-side though, but I'm not sure which country you're posting from.