3D Printable FusionIO & Mellanox ConnectX2 Full Height Adapters

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lowfat

Nov 25, 2016
This is for a single-port Mellanox ConnectX2 Full Height card. I designed it around an ethernet card. I am not sure if the Infiniband card has different dimensions. I've added support so it isn't flimsy. Have them installed on 2 cards and it works well.
Mellanox ConnectX2 Full Height Slot Cover by lowfat

This is for a FusionIO ioScale. I would assume that the ioDrive 2 would also be the same.
FusionIO ioScale Full Height Slot Cover by lowfat

I'd suggest printing them in PLA as I found that ABS was to brittle because it is so thin. I printed w/ supports and they turned out fantastic.

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
The IB card will be slightly different as it uses a QSFP+ port instead of a SFP+. There may be other differences as well - I don't have either card so I can't really confirm much else.

lowfat

Nov 25, 2016
Sorry without the cards in front of me so I can take exact measurements w/ a caliper I really can't do anything. :(

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
If you can provide measurements, we can try. Even a hand drawn sketch with measurements would work. But garbage in, garbage out.. :)

It would help if you have a printer, then you could print it out, test fit, and give suggestions. Or if you ship a card to someone. But that's not helpful if you don't have a spare.

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
Ya - I'm happy to help out with things like this as well. I'm no artist, but I did do a few years of drafting/CAD back in high-school (man, that's a long time ago now, but re-learning now has proven to be easier the second time), and have a printer so am familiar with designing with printing in mind to not require supports, etc. Though at the moment my printer is offline/unavailable.

We might be able to team up to provide parts for those members around here without printers as well, if there is sufficient interest. I'd be happy to print and ship small items to Canadian members at a fraction of what they would cost to get printed through eg. 3DHubs. If we can get a few other volunteers with printers in other countries we could probably provide a small but decent service. Either of those adapters in the first post for instance would be around $5.00 CAD (plus shipping, though free local pickup would be an option) through 3DHubs, - but looking at it I'm guessing it would take maybe $0.10 in material to print (its around $0.03 per gram for filament), and would fit in an envelope for cheap mailing. Though this is getting off-topic - if we start something like this this post can be moved to a new thread.

Reactions: Sleyk

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
I kinda like the idea of providing inexpensive help for other members here. I'd be willing to help out US users. Shipping would cost more than the filament in most cases.

Reactions: Sleyk

pc-tecky

May 1, 2013
Mellanox ConnectX2 Full Height Slot with dual QSFP+ IB ports. I have a few tall IB dual QSFP+ brackets if interested.

From the top retention bracket with 90° bend, it's roughly 1x (one) "Duracell 9V battery & no/mid-terminal (full terminal will place port too low)" in length to first port (sorry, I can't find anything to else to measure with other than the battery and 1/4" hex bits) . Each metal contact ground tab is roughly 1/8" wide, so 3/8" wide x 3/4" tall, 1/4" from the edge (with PCB screw tabs, and not the bend of the tabs) and 1/4" gap between QSFP+ ports with four LED holes roughly 1/16" apart 3/64" dia LED holes). Maybe just as easy make it a slit 1/16" tall and ~7/8" wide.

From bottom edge of top PCB screw tab is (~1/16") nearly inline with top/first port with... or.. From the another perspective, there are divots (~1/16") on either side of each PCB screw tab where they bend, that outer edge between the inner divots appear to be visually inline to the top of the top port and to the bottom of the bottom port and have the same PCB screw tab spacings as used on the tall bracket for the LSI 9210-8i controller. The edge of the first LED hole is inline with both ports closest to the PCB screw tabs, each LED hole being roughly 1/16" apart, and the 4th LED hole is past the QFSP+ port openings.. I hope this helps.

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
The ioDrive bracket should be vented for any ioDrive 2s. They are designed such that air will blow through the fpga heatsink and out under the nand packs.

Also, the screw spacing is different for ioDrive 1 vs 2... I think the 3rd gen uses the same spacing as the first gen, but I don't have one on hand to check.

lowfat

Nov 25, 2016

KypDurron

Feb 16, 2017
I've got a library that has a couple 3D Printers that let you bring in the file to get printed. I'm going to see if I can get several of these printer this weekend. Appreciate the work that you put into that.

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
Even if it does get to 80 - if you print it in ABS it will be fine.

As a quick general reference - printed parts will start to get soft/deform at the following temps:

PLA - 40-50C (some PLA's can be annealed, after which they can take 80-100 degree temps)
PETG - 80C
ABS - 100C

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
I have pretty much zero air flow over my card. Benchmarked it for 10 minutes and it reached 67C, which is 7C higher than it idles.
Well, you have more than zero airflow then. I've got 4 sandwiched together and they break 67C no problem. The cards are designed for 300LFM of airflow to stay within operating temp. We put Industrial fpgas on the iodrive 2, so it won't offline itself until about 98C. The older iodrives will offline themselves around 78C.

You also aren't going to get the card hot with reads, it is only sustained writes that will heat them up.