$380 Micron 3.2TB S630DC SAS SSD & other capacities available

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

KC8FLB

Aug 12, 2018
Just wanted to update this thread after a sucessful install of two 800GB microns I bought during the frenzy.

I am using both of the SSD in a unRAID BTRFS cache pool which houses container and VM data as well as provides a temporary write to the server cache, until the data is moved to the slower array.

I am using a LSI 9300-8i HBA flashed to the latest IT firmware and BIOS.

I used this amphenol connector:
New Amphenol 12GB MiniSAS SFF8643 4xSAS SFF8482 Cable RHS36-4819 US-SameDayShip | eBay

My server is actually housed in a large tower case (original Cosmos case) so i was able to to install the drives with a 120mm fan each by using two of these novel 2.5mm to 5.25in bay adapters which also includes mounting for a 120mm fan:
5.25" to 3.5" 2.5" SSD HDD Tray Caddy Case Adapter Cooling Fan Mounting Bracket 44276895809 | eBay

Just a note: these adapters with a 120mm fan attached are ~30% thicker that a normal 5.25 bay, so that you cannot install two in consecutive bays. They also only have provisions for one 2.5mm drive each. My drives never exceeded 87 degrees F even after 52GB write, but it was a slow, slow write due to unRAID parity not drives fault.

I probably didn't need to go with 12Gb connectivity as my unRAID server will probably never deliver the full speed, but it was a good learning project.

Tiberizzle

Mar 23, 2017
I keep looking at these and seeing that there are still some in stock then seeing the nearly 7 watts on load figure and remembering why I noped on them.

That's >50x more than a decent SATA SSD which can do >500MB/sec read and write.

In a 24x2.5 that would be 160W of additional power consumption over the SATA SSDs on load or like 120W on idle, which would double the idle power consumption of a dual e5-v2 box.

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
I keep looking at these and seeing that there are still some in stock then seeing the nearly 7 watts on load figure and remembering why I noped on them.

That's >50x more than a decent SATA SSD which can do >500MB/sec read and write.

In a 24x2.5 that would be 160W of additional power consumption over the SATA SSDs on load or like 120W on idle, which would double the idle power consumption of a dual e5-v2 box.
Heh, you'd definitely nope on my 25-55W PCIe SSDs under 3GB/sec write workloads then =)

Tiberizzle

Mar 23, 2017
Heh, you'd definitely nope on my 25-55W PCIe SSDs under 3GB/sec write workloads then =)
Quite likely, considering I've benched >8GB/sec aggregate multi-node sequential write throughput across my Ceph cluster of 4 node * 6x OSD of mixed Intel 520 (800mW peak write) and 1500 Pro (200mW peak write), 1x Optane 900P per node shared by all its OSDs as blockdb/WAL (14W peak write, but at least it's only one per node!) :p

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
Just curious how these Micron SAS SSD wound up working for those that bought them
Running 6 in mirrored zfs pool as a NFS share for esxi VMs. Have 99% endurance left after 2+ years of 24/7 homelab use and no issues. Only thing to note is that they run a little hot, so be sure to have adequate cooling.

For the price some of us got them at during the 2018 OWC fire sale, they are worth every penny.

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018
Running 6 in mirrored zfs pool as a NFS share for esxi VMs. Have 99% endurance left after 2+ years of 24/7 homelab use and no issues. Only thing to note is that they run a little hot, so be sure to have adequate cooling.

For the price some of us got them at during the 2018 OWC fire sale, they are worth every penny.
[/QUOTE

I am just starting 'what to buy' research on enterprise SSD and yes, those prices 1-2 years ago were outstanding. Was simply curious how they held up for some folks 1-2 years ago were talking about higher heat as these were 15mm . Thanks.

kiteboarder

May 10, 2016
I bought two of the 800 GB and run them in raid1 in server 19 storage space ReFS. No problems, other than the heat.

They are not noticeably faster than plain jane crucial SSDs. If you have available pci-e lanes, I would suggest nvme drives instead. I would not pay a premium for these drives. Good drives, just don't overpay. And hot.

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
I bought a bunch of each size and put them into use with Linux and esxi boxes. No problems so far on the 12G or 6G controllers I have used them on, both HBAs and when they are part of HW RAID. They are pretty warm as others mentioned.

workingnonstop

Feb 24, 2016
Has anyone dealt with Micron warranty on these? I had one drop out of an Unraid cache pool of four this week and now Unraid is showing it as read-only. Still planning on doing some testing/troubleshooting on another system, but I remembered that I bought these new from this thread and seemingly, I'm just under the 3yr advertised warranty.

Either I can't navigate Micron's site or they removed info on this model from it, and there's not an obvious "RMA" section. The generic info I found here: Returns and Warranties seems to indicate that they'll want to give me a pro-rated refund versus replacement, if I have to go through warranty process. Weird.

Reactions: Samir

workingnonstop

Feb 24, 2016
I have not, but did purchase a few and my receipt clearly says:
3 Year OWC Fulfilled Warranty.
Maybe check your receipt? (OWC = other world computing = Mac Sales et al)
Interesting - description on my invoice says “Micron 3 Year Limited Warranty”. Same capacity? Mine are the 3.2tb version.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I asked them about warranty right after the sale back then - they told me that Micron would cover the warranty but if needed it could go through OWC (as the serials did not show up on Micron's systems so i couldn't register mine).

So I'd just hit them up and they can let you know how to proceed.

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
Sorry to revive this old thread....but does anyone have latest firmware for the 5100 pro and s630dc?

I cannot find them on the micron website (most likely because these are no eol).

Much appreciated in advance.