$380 Micron 3.2TB S630DC SAS SSD & other capacities available

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
Do you notice any improvement with the firmware update ??
I haven't noticed since I only had the drives for a day and was playing around with freenas configuration of the pools. It did mention fixing some kind of corruption issue and better garbage clean up. I don't recall all the details since it was done like 12 am when I was mostly dead. The tool did update all the drives at once within 5 min period or less.

RobSam

May 2, 2018
Do you notice any improvement with the firmware update ??
I am not @marcoi but in my case, upgrading the firmware to 019 did not solve the overheat problem and the life expectation is still 99%.

I did, however, moved the SSD from from the 4th column of the Supermicro 846 chassis to the 3rd column, and the temperature is much better, because the 4th column is only partially covered by the mid fanwall.

I also changed my fan control script to run more aggressively. The SSD now sits at ~40C idle, but this raises the fan from 1000RPM to 1700RPM. The difference is "inaudible" to "noticeable " to me. I may just return these SSDs.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
I also have the 800gb which are 7mm size which leaves a lot of extra space in the Dell r730 cage they live in. Even with extensive testing I have seem them hit over 38c. Most times they are idling around 34c. Most time the server room around 80s F in temp as a reference. Also most of my red 8tb drives in a sm jbod case are around 34 to 38ish temps

All 8 of my drives showed 100% available as well.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
I am not sure why the SSD you received has 99% life left when it is brand new, but even at 99% it is still basically in break in period considering the overall endurance of the drive. As far as heat goes, my experience with many SAS U2 form factor SSD/NVME with larger than 800Gb always run very hot and require lots of airflow to cool it down. Maybe some of the newest model have less heat due to having less NAND density (TLC) compared to previous gen with MLC/SLC nand.

Reactions: Patrick

RobSam

May 2, 2018
I also bought the 1.6TB version. The life is 100%. The heat generation is comparable to 3.2TB version.

The 1.6TB version idles 10C~12C higher than my other 1.8TB Sandisk SSD. Granted, the Micron one is SAS3 and my Sandisk one is SAS2. But both are hooked to SAS2 backplane and running at SAS2 speed. Given that they are similar capacity and same dimension (both 15mm thick), and the fact that Micron one is a newer product and probably has better lithography, 10C difference is ridiculous IMO.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
Anybody else using quality 8482 cables and getting SAS3 speeds? They seem to be quite less expensive than the 8680 and easier to find.

Are there any quality 8643 to 8482 with SATA power connectors? Like these: https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation-Internal-SFF-8643-SFF-8482-connectors/dp/B01GPD6FZE
I think the only way to find out to test it out, unless someone here have used that specific branded cable for SAS3 SSD.
Since it is from amazon returning might not be too troublesome if it doesn't work as intended.

Reactions: deepankar

matthew5025

Mar 21, 2016
Thats a SAS2 (6Gbps) HBA, but the drive is capable of SAS3 (12Gbps *2) speed. You'll lose out on a considerable amount of bandwidth, but it should work.

Gadgetguru

Dec 17, 2018
I think the only way to find out to test it out, unless someone here have used that specific branded cable for SAS3 SSD.
Since it is from amazon returning might not be too troublesome if it doesn't work as intended.
Yeah, I just wondered if anyone knew of Amphenol or SuperMicro (or other name brand) having cables like the ones linked to. I bought one of the Amphenol 8482 ones you linked to for the time being. Thanks.

Skud

Jan 3, 2012
Got my 1.6TBs today. I popped them into a DL380 G8 (SAS-2) and the do run "Warm"....

I'm transferring some data to one for testing and the drive reports 57*C. It's made the server fans spin up from 6% to 13%.

According to the datasheets though they're designed to operate up to 50*C *ambient*. So, the internal drive temp would be much higher.

Still doing to testing.. The P420i in my server doesn't pass through any SMART data nor does it seem to support the SMART features of the drive. It shows lifetime and hours as "unavailable".

Edit: I'm transferring between the drives now. The "reading" drive runs around 48*C and the "writing" drive runs at 58*C. The idle drives run around 37*C.

Periodically, the server will spin up the fans to 28% to keep the HDD temp under 60*c, which is listed as the "critical" temp for a DL380 G8.

There doesn't seem to be any throttling, but I'm on a 6Gbps controller.

Riley

Last edited:

azev

Jan 18, 2013
Yeah, I just wondered if anyone knew of Amphenol or SuperMicro (or other name brand) having cables like the ones linked to. I bought one of the Amphenol 8482 ones you linked to for the time being. Thanks.
Lucky for me I actually prefer molex power connector than sata, however I did a quick browse through the net and could not find any known trusted brand cable that uses sata power. Unfortunately I have not received my drive yet however my current desktop are using the same cable I recommend connecting a pair of sandisk lightning 2 drives and they worked perfectly at 12Gb.

Skud

Jan 3, 2012
Got mine installed into my workstation. I have a spare Dell H330 that I used for the controller. I used some Amphenol "12Gb" cables and they do indeed link at 12Gb. Interestingly, these seem to be two 800GB drives in RAID0? It shows as mraid0:0.

These are the cables I used.
New Amphenol 12GB MiniSAS SFF8643 4xSAS SFF8482 Cable RHS36-4819 US-SameDayShip | eBay

Here is a quick CDM run on the fresh drive. Looks like I'm hitting the limits of a single SAS3 channel.

upload_2019-1-9_22-11-37.png

Here is the temperature reported in Storage Executive. This is a few minutes after the CDM run. Right after it was at 44*C.

upload_2019-1-9_22-55-6.png

SMART data.
upload_2019-1-9_22-17-19.png

Last edited:

RobSam

May 2, 2018
:)It may not be that important but you may want to redact your serial number.

Got mine installed into my workstation. I have a spare Dell H330 that I used for the controller. I used some Amphenol "12Gb" cables and they do indeed link at 12Gb. Interestingly, these seem to be two 800GB drives in RAID0? It shows as mraid0:0.

These are the cables I used.
New Amphenol 12GB MiniSAS SFF8643 4xSAS SFF8482 Cable RHS36-4819 US-SameDayShip | eBay

Here is a quick CDM run on the fresh drive. Looks like I'm hitting the limits of a single SAS3 channel.

View attachment 10078

Here is the temperature reported in Storage Executive. This is a few minutes after the CDM run. Right after it was at 44*C.

View attachment 10079

SMART data.
View attachment 10080