36 bay 4U Server Storage Chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Catalyze

Apr 5, 2020
Reactions: nikalai and Samir

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
i see only 24 tray's. no 36
Yeah, for some reason they've got a weird grate over the rear bays, but it looks like it just pops out.

Things to note about this - if you get this intending to install your own board, you're going to have to do case surgery; it looks to me like it's a dedicated rear window explicitly for the motherboard Isilon was using.

Note, you CAN purchase replacement 2U rear windows from Supermicro's RMA department and they ARE swappable. They're usually cheap-ish, but occasionally the shipping is really high for some reason.

Reactions: Samir

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
It looks like a variation of 847. Does not look like the rails are included with this listing. Hopefully compatible with regular SM rails. The power supplies look different too.

Catalyze

Apr 5, 2020
Yeah, for some reason they've got a weird grate over the rear bays, but it looks like it just pops out.

Things to note about this - if you get this intending to install your own board, you're going to have to do case surgery; it looks to me like it's a dedicated rear window explicitly for the motherboard Isilon was using.

Note, you CAN purchase replacement 2U rear windows from Supermicro's RMA department and they ARE swappable. They're usually cheap-ish, but occasionally the shipping is really high for some reason.
I was planning to just use a dremel or an angle grinder.

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
I was planning to just use a dremel or an angle grinder.
Oh sure, there's no reason not to. Just something I noticed and wanted to point out in case people weren't aware. For that matter, a bit of patience and some tin snips would probably do the job too.

I'm wondering what the open spaces next to the PSUs are though. They're definitely not for a standard PSU - even SM's stick-type square PSUs are bigger than those - but I can't think of anything else it might be.

Lambdariver

Mar 24, 2019
They have some chunky electrolytic capacitors used to flush their RAM when they lose power. The Isilon file system is all software defined so there’s no traditional controller card.

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
Okay, that makes sense. They reminded me of the StackPower cables that you can find on some Cisco switches but I couldn't figure out why you'd do that with a storage server.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
The reason it's listed as "Supermicro" is not the chassis, but the motherboard (which is an OEM Supermicro one). The chassis isn't a modified 847.

Reactions: Samir and Fritz

Catalyze

Apr 5, 2020
Oh sure, there's no reason not to. Just something I noticed and wanted to point out in case people weren't aware. For that matter, a bit of patience and some tin snips would probably do the job too.

I'm wondering what the open spaces next to the PSUs are though. They're definitely not for a standard PSU - even SM's stick-type square PSUs are bigger than those - but I can't think of anything else it might be.
Well it came today and he messed up and sent one with a motherboard and processors. No ram, but I have some I am about to order. I might need a third server case, but that is going to have to wait for another paycheck. Either way I still dont know what those are next to the psu. They have a 6 pin power cable going to each of them and nothing else. Maybe someone can tell us what they are.

Catalyze

Apr 5, 2020

I got it today and it says on that grate that it is there to comply with international electromagnetic standards.

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
Well it came today and he messed up and sent one with a motherboard and processors. No ram, but I have some I am about to order. I might need a third server case, but that is going to have to wait for another paycheck. Either way I still dont know what those are next to the psu. They have a 6 pin power cable going to each of them and nothing else. Maybe someone can tell us what they are.
The slots are for the BBUs for the cache module. Unlikely to be of much use to anyone here.

Reactions: Samir and Fritz

Arvind

Jan 27, 2018
Hi folks - based on the above discussion it should be possible to drop-in a more current-gen board (with the physical I/O plate issue that was also discussed above). Assuming the board has no inbuilt SAS capabilities, I was wondering what kind of a SAS PCI card and associated cabling would be needed to interface with the backplane? Thanks in advance for your replies.

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
If noise is a concern, then probably too loud for you.

Catalyze

Apr 5, 2020
What’s the noise level on these?
There is some level of fan curve, but it is loud enough that I can hear it almost everywhere in my 10,000 ft house. That being said its quiet enough that for most of the house its just white noise that is unnoticeable unless it is totally quiet. I sleep in the room right next to it and it does not stop me from sleeping too much. I could try to get some idea of db if you care enough. Its not terrible on the lowest fan settings. I have heard much worse, but its not great.

Reactions: bbqdt