350w gold psu for Supermicro X9DRI-LN4F+ 2x E5-2650 V2

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Phan

Feb 9, 2019
I'm planning to purchase an 1U Supermicro CSE-815TQ-600CB - X9DRI-LN4F+ , 16 x 8 UDIMM = 128 GB ram, 2x E5-2650 V2 . It comes with a 600w platinum power supply. However I need to run it on a Datacenter where they check the power supply instead of real consumption to calculate the cost per month. So I would like to replace it with a 350w gold 80 plus PSU. Will it possible to run this server using a 350w 80 plus gold power supply only?

Thank you for your support!!

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Add in cards ?
Drives ?

Make sure you do some full load testing, it would be close to being fine I would think.

(I assume the 350w is also a decent quality PSU)

Other option (unofficially of course) would be change the PSU case if the same size or just the sticker’s if possible.

Pete.S.

Feb 6, 2019
I think it depends on what drives etc you have. I don't think you can make it at full load. However if you remove one CPU and half the memory it will be fine. Do you need dual CPUs?

There are some variations of 1U Supermicro servers that have 350W power supplies. Maybe get one of those instead? For instance: Supermicro | Products | SuperServers | 1U | 6017R-TDLF / Bulk

Last edited:

Phan

Feb 9, 2019
Thank you all very much, I'm not sure if this mainboard comes with any add in cards, as I do not purchase any addition add in card for it. I use only one 1TB 7200 RPM HDD for hard drive.

I'm planning to use this 350W Power Supply 80 Plus Gold PWS-351-1H : New Supermicro 350W Power Supply 80 Plus Gold PWS-351-1H 672042054206 672042054206 | eBay
Or if it not working I just want to remove half ram only or try another 400W 80 plus platinum power as an alternative (will cost extra 50w per month that I don't want) : NOB 400W Super Micro 80 Plus Platinum Redundant Server Power Supply PWS-407P-1R 672042197422 | eBay

As it is just a plan, I cannot buy item from store for testing and do a return. So I much appreciate your experience so I can save a lot of time and budget.

Thank you all!!!

Phan

Feb 9, 2019
There are some variations of 1U Supermicro servers that have 350W power supplies. Maybe get one of those instead? For instance: Supermicro | Products | SuperServers | 1U | 6017R-TDLF / Bulk
I would like to buy from 2nd hand/used supply to save my budget. I found a Supermicro CSE-815TQ-600CB | X9DRI-LN4F+ good supply with cheap price but can't find good supply for 6017R-TDLF. X9DRI-LN4F+ also can be expand in the future as it support more RAM. Anyway thank you very much - I will find more.

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
I have this motherboard with dual E5 2650v2 and 16x 16GB PC3L modules. I have a few addon cards, like Mellaonx dual 10G and dual 40G + Optane 900p and on full load I pull more than 350W. As Pete.S is saying, with one CPU you could pull this off. So it may be cheaper to just replace the 2650 v2 with a single 2695v2 and 8x 16GB modules.

Full load, means CPU load only. Not network and Optane which is actually idling.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
@BackupProphet thanks for chiming if with actual experience, I knew it would be close just not sure how close, I have run 450w in this config without hitting limit or throttling (not Supermicro but would be similar power between vendors) but I could not find any historical info on what it was using only the actual hardware config.

mstoebich

Mar 26, 2017
(will cost extra 50w per month that I don't want)
This is not how power supplies work. You could take a 1200W Platinum psu and it wouldn't consume that much more than a 350W unit (it would be a bit more inefficient, which would result in a couple of watts of loss).

Never, NEVER cheap out on a power supply. a faulty psu could kill a couple of grand worth of hardware just because you saved 50 bucks on a off brand psu (or one that is not powerful enough).

My recommendation would be to use that 600W Paltinum supply and use something like a kill-a-watt just to check if it stays within the given range. If you want to save power you could (as others already mentioned) use just a single CPU or remove half of the RAM. but this depends mostly on your workload.

edit:
Was a bit late last night, didnt read that OP well enough. This is not relevant for this thread, but probably generally good advice when building PCs. Also will not delete, so theres no confusion.

Last edited:

posternutbag

Jan 2, 2019
This is not how power supplies work. You could take a 1200W Platinum psu and it wouldn't consume that much more than a 350W unit (it would be a bit more inefficient, which would result in a couple of watts of loss). Never, NEVER cheap out on a power supply. a faulty psu could kill a couple of grand worth of hardware just because you saved 50 bucks on a off brand psu (or one that is not powerful enough). My recommendation would be to use that 600W Paltinum supply and use something like a kill-a-watt just to check if it stays within the given range. If you want to save power you could (as others already mentioned) use just a single CPU or remove half of the RAM. but this depends mostly on your workload.
Not disagreeing about avoiding cheap power supplies, but I think you need to read the OP again. He said they are basing consumption on the rated wattage, so a kill-a-watt would do no good.

Phan

Feb 9, 2019
Thank you all very much, after review all of your recommends, I think I will not try this replace. However it's very important for me to keep 2x E5-2650v2 running with low power supply as possible. I may use run only 3 x 16 GB ram if I must to do it, but CPU must be retain.

Do you think that If I replace to a X9DRL-3F mainboard , 3x16 GB ram , 2x E5-2650 v2 , 1TB HDD 7200 rpm, no add-in cards can resolve this issue?

Is there any 400w power supply that I can replace for chassis SC813MTQ-350CB?

Last edited:

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Memory is only a couple of watts a stick, it’s the CPU’s that suck power. One way is limit the turbo and the max power is significantly reduced... but probably not what you want if you say you really need those 2 CPU’s

Phan

Feb 9, 2019
Memory is only a couple of watts a stick, it’s the CPU’s that suck power. One way is limit the turbo and the max power is significantly reduced... but probably not what you want if you say you really need those 2 CPU’s
Hi Evan! That's a good idea. I will not use full load (100% cpu) but may be just 85-90%. So how to limit the CPU at 85-90% so it won't make the server suddenly stop if reached the limit?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I have not looked in detail on SM boards so not sure what features they have in this regard but no the intention is not to make the server stop but rather limit performance when power is constrained.

The servers I work with have some specific settings in relation to power but even without that in the performance optimizations you could make some settings I am sure that limits power a little, sure not as elegant as systems that respond to info from the PSU about usage but should still work.
Usually there is a setting to do it and I do know that superMicro power manager software has some ways to limit power but not sure how it works.

If you go into advantaged power management configuration somewhere likely buried in the ACPI area should be settings about T-States , this is a blunt tool that should work.

nk215

Oct 6, 2015
If you only have 1 HDD (and 2-3 SSD), 350w should be enough. Don't use any addon 10G cards and you will be fine.

Phan

Feb 9, 2019
Hi! Thank you for your information. Someone said it will be fine while someone said not. So I think I need to confirm it myself. Anyway thank you all very much!

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Use the E5-2650L v2 low power version to limit the max turbo clock speed.
or if you already have the cpu
turn off E5-2650 v2 cores ( 1 or more cores ) in the bios to meet you power requirement.

Run stress test with cores turn off to confirm machine max power draw.

Phan

Feb 9, 2019
Use the E5-2650L v2 low power version to limit the max turbo clock speed.
or if you already have the cpu
turn off E5-2650 v2 cores ( 1 or more cores ) in the bios to meet you power requirement.

Run stress test with cores turn off to confirm machine max power draw.
Great solution. In case it not works I can turn off 1 core to save my budget until I need it.

Not sure if this setting available on X9Drl-3f Supermicro mainboard, but i found this:
- FAQ Entry | Online Support | Support - Super Micro Computer, Inc.
- https://www.supermicro.com/support/faqs/faq.cfm?faq=21555

I will try this later after purchased the server and components.

Thank you all very much!