32 cores: Epyc 2x7301 vs 1x7502P

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sovking

Jun 2, 2011
Maybe this a naive question.
I could buy:
  1. a new DELL 7425 with 2x7301 EPYC (2.2GHz base clock) and 64 GB of RAM with 24x2,5" chassis and 1 SSD 480GB at 2708 Euro, or
  2. a new DELL 7515 with 1x7502P EPYC (2.5 GHz base clock) and 64 GB of RAM with 24x2,5" chassis and 1 SSD 480GB at 4368 Euro (about 1660 more than solution 1)
  3. a new DELL 7515 with 1x7502P EPYC (2.5 GHz base clock) and 16 GB of RAM with 24x2,5" chassis and 1 SSD 480GB at 3493 Euro, then add my own 3x16 ram at 110 Euro, in this case the total will be 3823 (about 1115 Euro more than solution 1)
According to your opinion it's worth solutions 2 or 3 with regards to solution 1 ?
This server will be used as a basis for Virtualization, so at the end I will need to add more RAM and more storage (yet to decide if going to all flash route or making some multi-tier structure).

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
I can't comment on the chassis choices, but the Epyc 7xx2 series is so far ahead of the 7xx1 series that IMHO they shouldn't be considered unless you're under extremely tight budgets.

Compared to their predecessors, Epyc 7002s:
Are more power efficient
Have substantially higher IPC
Don't have all the NUMA quirks of earlier chips (simplified even further if you stick to one socket)
Are far less adversely affected by slow memory speeds

If you plan on adding your own components though instead of using Dell ones wouldn't a BYO be a simpler and cheaper option?

sovking

Jun 2, 2011
Probably a BYO solution could be cheaper, but I'm buing for my work, and my administration require 3 year NBD on-site warranty, and a reputable seller (not reputable brand!).
Looking at the offers I received and at the quote available on premier.dell.com, the base systems are interesting, but when you add memory and storages prices are at least the double the average market prices (sometime trhee time the best prices). So this is a reason to satisfy the warranty requirement on main parts and buying separate memory that usually never fail (at list RDIMMs).

May you can suggest some other EPYC 2 solutions that could be cheaper or BYO that would offer 3 year NBD (only European sellers allowed).

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure adding aftermarket non-Dell components will void the warranty anyway. I've only got recent experience with HP kit, but they'll refuse to support you if you use non-HP kit. Vendors have always charged a premium for this nonsense because they can get away with it.

I'm not sure what your budget is but if you're looking for a 32-core virtualisation platform from any vendor you're looking at a lot more than a £$€5k spend. There are plenty of whitebox solutions based around Epyc 7xx2's like the ASRock 2U12L2S-ROME/2T or the Supermicro H12WIO but I highly doubt you'd be able to get next business day service via the resellers, you'd likely need a third-party support contract for that.

Perhaps if you gave more detail on your requirements it'd be easier to recommend specific solutions but it seems like a tall order given your initial budget.