$315: Supermicro 826 chassis w/ SAS2 backplane; X9DRI-LN4F mb; 2x E5-2609; no RAM

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

WeekendWarrior

Apr 2, 2015
This should qualify as at least a good deal: an 826 chassis w/ SAS2 backplane, SM X9DRI-LN4F dual processor MB (with IPMI), two E5-2609 processors but no RAM for $315. Rails and shipping are separate.

The 2609s won't tear things up but multiples of this box could be a decent base for a Ceph installation. Moreover, the motherboard on eBay is at least $175 alone (usually more).

This price was due in part to Garland Computers having a 10% off sale through their website (i.e., not through eBay) through end of Dec. See garlandcomputers.com. I also told them to take off the 4GBx2 RAM because I had my own (which reduced the price by ~$15).

Hope that is interesting to someone ...
Dave

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
A motherboard with decent PWM control will keep these pretty quiet for 2U servers. If you need even more noise reduction you can get the extra quiet supermicro fans. I have a couple of these with the quiet fans sitting in my living room right now and they get no complaints.

Reactions: sfbayzfs

sfbayzfs

May 6, 2015
SF Bay area
Yes, I have a few of these 826 chassis' and they are indeed not bad noise-wise if you have a PWM motherboard in them, but running the fans from the backplane, as they are often wired for JBOD configurations, is a lot louder.

Stock fans in an 826 are usually the 1.1A SanAce model, trading down to the 0.8A or 0.6A Nidec ones used for the 847 and others can cut the noise a bit even on a PWM motherboard, assuming you don't need the extra cooling potential with your config.

I need to post some pics of my retrofitted 0.35A exhaust fans into midplane carriers - those are now my general purpose replacement for my Supermicro chassis' - they cool well enough even during a heat wave, and they are a lot less noisy than the stock fans, although they may still be too loud for some people in a JBOD if you're in the same room.

The extra quiet Supermicro fans are I think 0.18A, same as the 3-pin Panaflos I successfully retrofitted several 836 units with, those move barely enough air, Noctuas at 0.09A didn't move quite enough air for me, but they might be fine for you.

If you use fans that slow, you will probably want PWM active CPU coolers, and be sure to check your North Bridge temps, you might need to add a North Bridge fan for dual proc boards. And probably an SQ model PSU as well.