$300 FS: 1.3TB PCIe Fusion-io/SanDisk HPE Workload Accelerator

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
i've been looking at that io acceleartors. Is that regular SSD or something different?

d0kt0r

Jun 17, 2016
i've been looking at that io acceleartors. Is that regular SSD or something different?
Take a ssd disk, remove the sata port limitations, and access through the pcie. Result, insane iops.

Enviado desde mi LG-H815 mediante Tapatalk

J--

Aug 13, 2016
Most of these are unbootable, hence why they're "accelerators". Booting isn't really IO limited anyways nowadays though.

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
Most of these are unbootable, hence why they're "accelerators". Booting isn't really IO limited anyways nowadays though.
Should I look into that,as a storage for my VMs? Boot ESXi from SD-card or small SSD obviously.
Or stick to SSD drive instead?

J--

Aug 13, 2016
@TLN For a homelab, probably overkill, unless you're pushing big files around in the VMs a lot?

If you're doing IO heavy analysis work like databases and such, then it could have a big impact.

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
@TLN For a homelab, probably overkill, unless you're pushing big files around in the VMs a lot?

If you're doing IO heavy analysis work like databases and such, then it could have a big impact.
Nope, not at all. Multiple OS, that's something that any SSD can handle.

On the other hand that seems to be a better deal then 960G ssd for ~150-160$. You get ~25% more volume and waaay more speed. (overkill, yeah).

lowfat

Nov 25, 2016
Bought a 1.3TB ioScale from the same seller a few days ago for $340USD. I see he raised the price of the other one he had for sale by $300USD. Due to arrive tomorrow. :)

timd

Dec 12, 2016
I purchased a total of 10 of the sx350-3200's and several sx300. The sx350's were new in the box so figured they would be good to go. Long story short I had three out of five die in a vsan cluster on Christmas Day, they went to a detach state and could not get them to stay attached. I am gonna pull them this morning and try to understand what went wrong. For right now I would caution anyone considering these for production to test and double test.

Chaosratt

Feb 7, 2013
Whats the difference between one of these and an NVME drive? You just can't boot them? They look like they'd make an awesome gaming or vm storage drive, price isn't that much more than some "normal" SATA SSDs I've seen recently.

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
I guess it's a tradeoff between "bootable with common interface" and "non-bootable and fast".
I wanna get more feedback on such things and get one for same use as VM storage.

J--

Aug 13, 2016
How many VMs?

The limitation really is a trade-off between affordability, redundancy and the number of PCIe lanes you have available. NVMe burns through lanes at 4x a pop, whereas you have a whole array of SSDs on a single x8 controller.

lowfat

Nov 25, 2016
These really won't perform better than a drive like the Samsung 960 Pro in home desktops/servers. Low queue depth performance is better than SATA SSDs but not as good as high quality NVMe drives. Unless you are running multiple extremely I/O intensive VMs you won't see high enough queue depths to see the benefits of a FusionIO.

I think they would be a great second drive for a gaming PC or workstation though. They'll last nearly forever and the price per GB is significantly less than the high quality NVMe drives.

Chaosratt

Feb 7, 2013
That's along the lines of what I was thinking. Maybe use it as a workstation scratch/testing/dev area or as a gaming drive. I already use a dedicated SSD for steam games, so its not big deal if this needs drivers and isn't bootable. The price is better than consumer NVME drives, and only slightly more than consumer SATA SSDs.