2x Broken Intel DC P4320 series 8TB - 500$

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gardar

Nov 15, 2012
Asked seller about details on how they are broken and the only thing he said was that he had plugged it into his computer and they wouldn't appear...

Kind of hard to believe that he's sitting 4-5000$ worth of disks and that's the only explaination he can give...
But who knows, maybe the disks were purchased and he didn't realize that they were nvme and not sata, and if so this could be a killer deal...

That being said, proceed with caution, 500$ is not cheap for a paperweight...

Reactions: Samir

redeamon

Jun 10, 2018
Likely DC pulls that have faulted. I wouldn't gamble on these as you have no recourse (ebay or CC).

gardar

Nov 15, 2012
Hmm yeah didn't notice they were engineering samples... And didn't know intel did that with SSD's too

Indecided

Sep 5, 2015
We used to go through a lot of Intel SSDs and from time to time would get ES SSDs for evaluation/testing, etc.

YMMV heavily, I have a couple of ES S3500s that have been running for the past 6+ years without issues as scratch drives in a Synology.

On the other hand I can also show you the dozen or so paperweights in the office.

They are all Intel ES SSD. They really have a penchant of just going belly-up, i'm not sure if it's a coded-in time-bomb (i doubt it) or simply very early ES alpha versions which had bad looping code, etc were doomed for failure. Not uncommon given that the 32768 hour timebomb made its way into HP retail firmware, what more these less-checked ES revisions.

Unless there were major PCB/silicon changes i'm sure there are enterprising folk in China who will swap ICs around/reprogram the firmware at the board level to create a franken-SSD, short of printing a new retail label (which they are perfectly capable of, mind you)..

Don't touch them with a 10 foot pole if broken. Unless you like expensive paperweights.

I don't always buy ES SSDs, but when I do, I prefer Intel.

Reactions: gardar and Samir

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Another reason why they might not appear is that the are formatted with 520 byte sectors - I had 4 nvme drives I bought cheap on ebay and they would not appear in windows either - I would see them in device manager, but not in disk management - same in linux - they would appear in devices, but fdisk would barf - it turned out I had to reformat them with 512 byte sectors.

I am not saying that is the reason here - and $500 is too much of a gamle, if they were perhaps $50 or $100 I would take a chance :)

Reactions: gardar and Samir

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Oh - one other caveat - intel ARK has no SSD called P4320 - closest match is D5-P4320 - it might be the same - and if it is, it is 64-Layer QLC 3D NAND - which sucks big hairy donkey balls - in my opinion at least :)