2x 2U Controller Nodes for Storage JBOD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Benten93

Nov 16, 2015
Hi,

i am in the process of scaling out my Storage Space.
I figured out that i want to use a 2 Node HA Setup for a SAN Build. I already have 2 4U JBOD Chassis with drives which are connected to a single node atm.

My Goal is to get two servers designed for being a Storage Controller.

I have the following outlines which the system has to keep:

Dual Processor Configuration (Xeon E5 or Xeon Scalable)
2x 40Gbit NICs (HP Branded, already got those)
2x Onboard LAN minimum (preferrable 10G SFP+)
2x H241 SAS HBA ( already got those as well)
Front Bays preferable with NVME Access Bays (2.5") for local non HA Pools.

As i am not really familar with the current Supermicro Lineup, i really appreciate any input / feedback from you guys!

Greetz,
Benten

EDIT: I am looking for 2U Server due to the number of Addin Cards. Also i want two physical seperated chassis to increase reliability.

SeanFi

Aug 7, 2015
Since you've already got some HPE parts to throw in there, you might have good luck with HPE servers. Everything plays together best when it's designed from the ground up to be compatible. A pair of DL380 Gen9 servers would suit your needs, E5 v3 and v4 capable, can get onboard 10GBe SFP+ in the FlexibleLOM slot, 2U. Stock they don't support 2.5" NVMe drives but there's an optional drive cage you can add to them that will support 6 NVMe drives. They do support 8x SAS drives stock.

You should also make sure that your JBODs have dual-port SAS drives in them to allow access by both controller nodes, in case you haven't already thought of that!

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04346247.pdf

Benten93

Nov 16, 2015
Since you've already got some HPE parts to throw in there, you might have good luck with HPE servers. Everything plays together best when it's designed from the ground up to be compatible. A pair of DL380 Gen9 servers would suit your needs, E5 v3 and v4 capable, can get onboard 10GBe SFP+ in the FlexibleLOM slot, 2U. Stock they don't support 2.5" NVMe drives but there's an optional drive cage you can add to them that will support 6 NVMe drives. They do support 8x SAS drives stock.

You should also make sure that your JBODs have dual-port SAS drives in them to allow access by both controller nodes, in case you haven't already thought of that!

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04346247.pdf
Thank you for the information.

Right now my Hypervisors are DL380 G8/G9s (9 of them).
My current SAN is based on Supermicro and I would like to stick with Supermicro for better compatibility.
The 4U Chassis Are from HGST :)

Any good option from SM?

Benten93

Nov 16, 2015
No one a good solution for my needs?
I would like to avoid HP in this case (because of their HP authenticated drives complains) and wish to go with Supermicro.

Edit: Right now, I have a X10SRH-CLN4F paired with an E5-1630 v3. The board itself is nice, but I might need to swap the CPU for a „more cores“ one.