2x 14TB SAS + LSI 9361-8i and 2x cables 149 USD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Yes, I got this with mine. I am still confused about whether that is supposed to have battery backup.
I remember the adaptec 52445 and it did have battery backup too. I suppose you can use it as raid without battery back up.

got mine yesterday. the card had the cache module on it.

The included cables are weird thou, external sas3 cables so not usable with the card or anything.. wonder if i should have gotten those..

Disks looked new in seal. have to check them later to see the smart info
Disks are not new. They just put inside the static bag and sealed.

The cables, whether external or internal are both useless unless you are using a backplane. then you can use the internal cable. you have to get the breakout cable if you want to connect the the SAS drives directly to the card, about $14 each.

Reactions: Samir

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I ordered the battery plus the cable for about $20 total. Cheapest way to do it was from to separate sellers. The extension cable is different from the one used on SAS2 cards, it has a black plug whereas the SAS2 uses a white plug.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I ordered the battery plus the cable for about $20 total. Cheapest way to do it was from to separate sellers. The extension cable is different from the one used on SAS2 cards, it has a black plug whereas the SAS2 uses a white plug.
which sellers?

Dev_Mgr

Sep 20, 2014
Texas
Anyone figure out how to get LSA to connect to ESXi 8.x?

I have storcli64 running, but would like to not have to deal with so much CLI by running LSA on my windows desktop. LSA recognizes the server as ESXi, but when I try to log in with my root credentials I get an error 65537 "Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password". I saw some manuals talk about editing the lsa.conf, but in ESXi this file is read only with a lock preventing you from changing this (chmod) to allow editing. I saw mention of a "super_user" in the conf file, so I created a user to match that name and tried logging in with that name, but this got the same error.

Versions:
Storcli: 007.3006.0000.0000-01
LSA: 008.009.009.000 and 008.003.012.000 (this last one is supposed to be the latest version that supports the 3108 chip)
lsi-mr3 driver: 7.726.02.00-2vmw.802.0.0.22380479

In some of the older documentation it mentions that smi-s needs to be installed, but that doesn't seem to have a version for ESXi 8.

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
I saw some manuals talk about editing the lsa.conf, but in ESXi this file is read only with a lock preventing you from changing this (chmod) to allow editing.
There are several ways around this sort of thing:
  1. If the lsiprovider is holding a lock on the file, stop the service and then you can edit the file.
  2. chattr can be used to change the file attribute that is blocking write.
  3. Sometimes, you can just rm the file and then create a new one. Use chmod to make sure the permissions match.

yoyellow

May 9, 2022
well shame, the seller of these sets doesnt want to fix the wrong cable issue for me :(

im wondering what other people got that fixed the issue for them..

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
well shame, the seller of these sets doesnt want to fix the wrong cable issue for me :(

im wondering what other people got that fixed the issue for them..
I bought 2 sets. First came with external cables, second with internal cables. Seller reached out to me offering to fix the problem. i told him it was no big deal and let it go at that. Didn't really need the cables but a cache battery would have been lovely.

Thomas H

Dec 2, 2017
Took much longer than I expected. badblocks alone takes 6.4 days to finish.
Code:
# badblocks -b 4096 -ws /dev/sdc
Testing with pattern 0xaa: done
Reading and comparing: done
Testing with pattern 0x55: done
Testing with pattern 0xff: done
Testing with pattern 0x00: done
│Reading and comparing:  94.46% done, 152:11:08 elapsed. (0/0/0 errors)

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Took much longer than I expected. badblocks alone takes 6.4 days to finish.
Code:
# badblocks -b 4096 -ws /dev/sdc
Testing with pattern 0xaa: done
Testing with pattern 0x55: done
Testing with pattern 0xff: done
Testing with pattern 0x00: done
│Reading and comparing:  94.46% done, 152:11:08 elapsed. (0/0/0 errors)
Yep, this is why I start with a smart short and conveyance test before I select a smart long test. But it's worth knowing in the beginning and isn't hard to do if you've got a spare enclosure to just load up all the drives and let them test in parallel.

Reactions: itronin and Fritz