2U ATX PSU

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Shadowsong

Dec 3, 2019
Hey all, looking for some advice on some 2U ATX PSU's to go in 3 new servers i'm putting together. Normally I'd use Titanium certified ATX PSU's, for the efficiency, heat reduction and quiet running. But considering these will be in 2U chassis, I'm concerned heat will be an issue and i will need a PSU with an exhaust fan suiting a 2U orientation.

Has anyone had experience using ATX Consumer PSU's (high quality) in 2U builds or could anyone recommend a reasonably silent and efficient Server ATX PSU (500w~)? My current thoughts are -

Server PSU: SSP-600ES2 ATX ES2 (seasonic.com) - Concerned about noise and inefficiency
Consumer PSU: PRIME-PX-650 PRIME PX (seasonic.com) - Concerned about heat, even with it being extremely efficient

ske4za

Feb 4, 2019
Supermicro has a few, the PWS-668-PQ is OOS from their store but it's 80 Plus Platinum rated. Athena Power has a few also but they either don't submit them for 80 PLUS testing, or they just aren't as efficient. I came here thinking you needed 2U style power supplies and was about to mention Zippy (Chenbro uses them for their OEM), but if you search their website filtering by PS2 you'll find quite a few. I'm not sure what their US distributors are though, but I did buy some of my Zippys on eBay.

Shadowsong

Dec 3, 2019
Supermicro has a few, the PWS-668-PQ is OOS from their store but it's 80 Plus Platinum rated. Athena Power has a few also but they either don't submit them for 80 PLUS testing, or they just aren't as efficient. I came here thinking you needed 2U style power supplies and was about to mention Zippy (Chenbro uses them for their OEM), but if you search their website filtering by PS2 you'll find quite a few. I'm not sure what their US distributors are though, but I did buy some of my Zippys on eBay.
Thanks that's useful info, will see how easy it is to pick one of those supermicro PSU's up in the UK. Would you recommend sticking with a server PSU then and not attempt a consumer one even if it's high end?

ske4za

Feb 4, 2019
I don't think there's anything wrong with the consumer units power or quality-wise as long as you get a reputable one, I just haven't seen a rear-to-front airflow one recently. Most of them have the bottom fan as an intake, with air outputting to the rear.

herby

Aug 18, 2013
Seasonic has two lines of 80mm fan (front to back airflow) PSUs: the ES line that's 80+ Bronze and a newer RS line that's 80+ Gold.
https://seasonic.com/industrial?form_factor=146

I've have a 400w ES in my NAS since my spinning rust is in a separate DAS chassis, and two 600w ES PSUs in my Xenservers. If I feel the need for more power overhead next upgrade I'll switch to the newer RS line since it goes up to 1000w.