2Gbps FttH with ISP Router 1Gbps Ethernet...!?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

smnhdy

Apr 16, 2020
Ok.... First up... this is literally 1st world problems... but I would appreciate some advice.

I have a 2Gbps FttH internet connection here in France coming from Orange. However, their router only has 4x 1Gbps Ethernet ports, and doesn't support link aggregation (LACP).

So this is good for sharing that 2Gbps across a couple of devices (I currently have my main switch, office switch, one of my wifi APs in there right now), however no single device can make use of the full 2Gbps speed and I can't aggregate 2 of the ports into a smart switch to share that full speed out across my whole network.

The connection from the ISP into the router is a true fibre.

My question is... does any know if there is either a switch around which will take the fibre directly (or via a SFP+ adaptor) and provide at least 16 ethernet ports (ideally at least of couple of them 10Gbps).

Thanks!

smnhdy

Apr 16, 2020
Yes, most of the talk is around having to replace the "true fibre" connection with an ONT from the ISP which would give me a 1Gbps port... which defeats the object sadly.

I have seen some people having luck with simply popping a SFP+ adaptor on the end of the fibre connection, and it simple "working" when plugged into a switch.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
I would imagine that the problem here is we don't know what technology the ISP is using (DWDM or similar?) and what other weird configuration changes they need for your replacement router/switch to work.

I suspect that if it "just works" with the right SFP+ transceiver, then perhaps all you need to do is to figure out which is the right one.
Can you ask Orange or someone locally?

smnhdy

Apr 16, 2020
Little more google fu, includes the type of sfp orange uses, plus the note that orange authorizes by ont serial number. More details is you are interested in linux direct connection.

Replacing Orange Livebox router by a Linux box ⁕ Vincent Bernat
Thanks Edge,

Yes Orange don't use ONT in their newer connections. The fiber is terminated at the router now which in theory opens up the options.

I have seen the pfsense option and am thinking about it, but I have heard that it would still have limits on using both cards across the same data strea..

edge

Apr 22, 2013
If you can figure out the sfp option direct into a switch, I would go that way.

hjfr

Nov 21, 2013
France
smnhdy> For the 2 Gb/s subscription with Orange, their LB5 router is necessary. It contains the ONT internaly. Fiber is connected directly to the LB5:

No SFP-ONT (GPON SFP ONT) will be provided with the LB5. SFP-ONT is delivered only with the LB4. And the SFP-ONT is SFP not SFP+ (Sercomm FGS202): 1 Gb/s max speed).
You can't use any other SFP-ONT that Orange gives you: the ONT-SFP is registered (serial number) in the OLT for each subscriber.

If you want to replace the LB5 (for example with pfsense router), you need an external ONT. Contact Orange for it. But, with an external ONT, 1 Gb/s will be the max speed currently.

All solutions are exposed here (french active fiber forum):

Reactions: smnhdy

edge

Apr 22, 2013
smnhdy> For the 2 Gb/s subscription with Orange, their LB5 router is necessary. It contains the ONT internaly. Fiber is connected directly to the LB5:

No SFP-ONT (GPON SFP ONT) will be provided with the LB5. SFP-ONT is delivered only with the LB4. And the SFP-ONT is SFP not SFP+ (Sercomm FGS202): 1 Gb/s max speed).
You can't use any other SFP-ONT that Orange gives you: the ONT-SFP is registered (serial number) in the OLT for each subscriber.

If you want to replace the LB5 (for example with pfsense router), you need an external ONT. Contact Orange for it. But, with an external ONT, 1 Gb/s will be the max speed currently.

All solutions are exposed here (french active fiber forum):
The pfsense router is connected to two of the LB5 ports, not to the fiber - the routers use of two wan ports effectively does the aggregation that the LB5 doesn't.

Do the LB5 ethernet ports support > 1Gbs?

hk92doom

Jun 4, 2020
Get yourself a GPON SFP module module running OpenWRT and capable of 2.5Gbps like MA5671A or G-010S-P or G-010S-A
Update the serial number, password and OMCI mibs strings in data_1g_8q.ini file or whatever the current mib file is as displayed by uci show command, to identify SFP itself as FGS202
Code:
#Managed Entity 256(ONU-G)
256 0 SCOM SCOMFGS202v1\0 00000000 0 0 0 0 0 #0
#Managed Entity 257(ONU2-G)
257 0 FGS202\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0 0xa0 0x5345 1 1 64 64 1 128 0 0x007f 0 0 48
Get yourself a 25-40 euro PCI 10Gbps network card. Enable 2.5Gbps mode
Read on openwrt forum how folks have been swapping their ONT with SFP modules left and right.

mshook

Jun 9, 2020
Get yourself a GPON SFP module module running OpenWRT and capable of 2.5Gbps like MA5671A or G-010S-P or G-010S-A
Update the serial number, password and OMCI mibs strings in data_1g_8q.ini file or whatever the current mib file is as displayed by uci show command, to identify SFP itself as FGS202
The issue is with this 2Gb offering, you don't have an ONT to connect to or to pull the SFP from to read the config... But I might be missing something...

hk92doom

Jun 4, 2020
The issue is with this 2Gb offering, you don't have an ONT to connect to or to pull the SFP from to read the config... But I might be missing something...
In that case someone should take the LB5 to a friend with OLT access, connect this ONT and let it authenticate. Write down all data.
The second possibility is to open LB5 and look for UART connection. With a bit of luck this may display some valuable information.
Third option, unsolder the flash chip.