25w Pentium D-1508

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
If one ever ships... Problem is for the arm guys that unless it's decent cheap and has a whole lots of wanted features like lots of sata for a storage server at a few watts of power then it's easier to use Intel and have good performance plus great compatibility.

Where is our d-1508's ? Must drop soon.
My hope as well, any word on the D1508 and D1517 availability?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
If they are a decent saving on the 4 & 6-core they would make great storage servers... Right now I am getting closer to the date that my cases will ship so thinking I am just going to jump on the 6-core and done.
The power consumption of the 35watt tdp 4/6 core is impressive, just what I am after paying 30c/kwhr

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
If they are a decent saving on the 4 & 6-core they would make great storage servers... Right now I am getting closer to the date that my cases will ship so thinking I am just going to jump on the 6-core and done.
The power consumption of the 35watt tdp 4/6 core is impressive, just what I am after paying 30c/kwhr
Is the 4/6 core even in stock anywhere? I see wiredzone has the 1518 and 1537 but neither are in stock. Also only the 1537 has the onboard LSI controller.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Those look great for storage servers, I wonder if we'll see the 1508 for some kind of workstation paired to a low end quadro for medical imaging...

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Models without the SAS controller around $380 ?? I think for a lot of people they take the 4-core and throw in their own SAS HBA's ... Time will tell I Guess, meanwhile it's making my decision on which board easier (4 or 6 core)

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Models without the SAS controller around $380 ?? I think for a lot of people they take the 4-core and throw in their own SAS HBA's ... Time will tell I Guess, meanwhile it's making my decision on which board easier (4 or 6 core)

Better :) $342

Supermicro X10SDV-2C-TP4F Embedded Processor

If they run cool and low power all that is needed is a few SSD's and they will be a great storage board where not too many disks are needed.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
Better :) $342

Supermicro X10SDV-2C-TP4F Embedded Processor

If they run cool and low power all that is needed is a few SSD's and they will be a great storage board where not too many disks are needed.
I'm very torn between the 1508 and the 1518 for my storage server build. I tend to get more than I need for future expansion/flexibility which makes me lean towards the 1518 but the 1508 price is very attractive.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I was surprised they came in that Low, I expected higher but not complaining at all.
Shame no mini itx versions of the 1508

mackle

Nov 13, 2013
The thing that I love about the 1508 is that that price is what I was looking at for a second hand two or three year old platform and arguably more feature rich and uber efficient (if potentially lower processing power).

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
The thing that I love about the 1508 is that that price is what I was looking at for a second hand two or three year old platform and arguably more feature rich and uber efficient (if potentially lower processing power).
Exactly, not expensive for small config and should be lots of cheap memory around + its ECC
$140 does buy you a couple more cores and extra sata ports.

What cases are good for flex-atx and hold 4 x 2.5" disks ? (1u SM rack mounts excluded)

Yamabushi

Feb 19, 2016
Sorry for the tangential question, but have people generally had a positive experience using Wiredzone.com? I live in Japan and anything Supermicro is almost always substantially more expensive here, that is if you can even find it.

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
Sorry for the tangential question, but have people generally had a positive experience using Wiredzone.com? I live in Japan and anything Supermicro is almost always substantially more expensive here, that is if you can even find it.
Live in Australia, purchased from wiredzone, but have them ship it to a California or Oregon address then get it forwarded to Australia . Much easier, use a company called shipito.com

Reactions: Yamabushi

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
Not a bad price at all. Would like a base T version. Is the CPU fan sold as an accessory or is it not necessary?

For those asking about wiredzoned. They are very reliable. Basically a broker between you and Supermicro. I think everything I order from them comes directly from SM.

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
I bought the 12+ HDDs in my new "server"/NAS from them spread between a few orders. They've been fine to deal with. I live in the US though.

They packed the drives well and I didn't have any DOA.