~250GB Write Cache SSD recommendations?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zdude

What is a Computer?
Aug 29, 2017
I am currently moving from a ZFS array to a Ceph cluster based storage system, however in order to not lose alot of capacity to mirroring in Ceph I need to implement a caching system to allow for erasure encoding on the CephFS portion of the cluster. Because I will be using mediocre speed drives for the main storage the writes need to be absorbed by the write cache (hence 250GB cache drives). Does anybody have recommendations for 250GB+ SSDs that can absorb alot of writes and are preferably cap backed? (I typically write ~2TB per day to this filesystem in ~100GB chunks)

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
S3710s are great if you are looking for SATA. I’m using a bunch of these right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zdude

What is a Computer?
Aug 29, 2017
I will need to benchmark a bunch of drives for that, I know that the S3710s at 1$/GB are a bit out of the price range I want to spend but if they are all that performs well enough so be it.

Also is there a way to recover from a failed journal on XFS or does the journal need to be mirrored on two drives?

Last edited:

zdude

What is a Computer?
Aug 29, 2017
What is everybody's opinion on the Intel 900p? Seems to be a very fast drive which has both power loss protection and good write endurance.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
What is everybody's opinion on the Intel 900p? Seems to be a very fast drive which has both power loss protection and good write endurance.
Looks like it may be an excellent choice for this usage. Guess takes a bit more time till people test it out in many roles.

Last edited: