20TB hard drive for $295

Good deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bilbo1337

Sep 18, 2020
Florida

Just under $15 a TB but they're refurbished. The new drives on other places are going for around $440 or so, with other models and brands back up to $500.
Not the absolute best deal but so far I've only seen a 20TB hard drive for just under $400. First time I've seen a 20TB refurbished option, DOM on label shows from last month, just 30 days ago too! Not sure why something would be refurbished not even a month later?

There's also a refurb 16TB option which is a much better deal but if you're like me and can only connect 8 drives then this is the cheapest option for the most capacity in an 8 bay.

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Really solid deal on the 20TB as I've only seen 18TB at these prices. As far as why there are even are refurbs, DOAs and warranty drives on the very first batches would have been refurbed by now.

Pretty awesome to see drives this large at prices like this now. It means my little 6 bay Netgear ReadyNAS can hit a new all time storage record of 120TB in a small desktop nas. A lot of older NAS units can have extended life with these larger drives as long as their NAS software doesn't have any drive size limits (probably will hit volume limits on older units though).

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I would check the seagate website for warranty and firmware downloads. if there is still warrant and firmware downloads available then yes, it's a great deal.
(I think seagate exos are to hdds what intel dc ssds were for ssds)

geonap

Mar 2, 2021
i don't trust these guys what so ever, i have no evidence of anything but they really rubbed me the wrong way once when i bought new drives from them and they were refurbished.

i have been looking for 18+ sata/sas and would rather buy from the guy selling the toshiba's for $266 on ebay (all same lot so it probably fell out of a truck) than buy from this company.

bilbo1337

Sep 18, 2020
Florida
i don't trust these guys what so ever, i have no evidence of anything but they really rubbed me the wrong way once when i bought new drives from them and they were refurbished.

i have been looking for 18+ sata/sas and would rather buy from the guy selling the toshiba's for $266 on ebay (all same lot so it probably fell out of a truck) than buy from this company.
You say you have no proof then plug some ebay drive? Sketch

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Was this transaction direct or via ebay, et al?

yobigd20

Jul 8, 2016
fwiw, I've bought a bunch of 12TB SAS and nvme drives from serverpartdeals on ebay with no issue and those drives are still running smooth now.

that said, generally speaking I've had nothing but trouble with Seagate drives. i know thats very much ymmv though, but for me I would never buy seagate drives anymore.

Reactions: VMman and Samir

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
i know thats very much ymmv though, but for me I would never buy seagate drives anymore.
Others have had similar experiences, but the modern exos line is definitely on par with the best from the rest. Something to consider if you didn't have exos drives.

geonap

Mar 2, 2021
samir, it was an amazon purchase, i recently contacted them questioning warranty and had some weird reply, as much as i really need 18tb's right now, i chose to pay the 350 and get from newegg/provantage on the exos line unfortunately to go side by side with those toshiba's. i wish i could trust serverparts central and i'm sure a lot of their stuff is fine but they left a terrible taste for me.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
samir, it was an amazon purchase, i recently contacted them questioning warranty and had some weird reply, as much as i really need 18tb's right now, i chose to pay the 350 and get from newegg/provantage on the exos line unfortunately to go side by side with those toshiba's. i wish i could trust serverparts central and i'm sure a lot of their stuff is fine but they left a terrible taste for me.
Gotcha. I wonder if their direct team is better than their amazon team. Yeah, I would be skeptical too if there was any funny business about the warranty as that's what makes these better than the sub $10/TB used drives that are starting to hit the markets.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I'm usually blind, but I saw the following link in the first post:
Nope, not on my end.

Screenshot from 2022-08-13 06-58-13.png

OK, this is just plain weird. This thread is not showing for me in the forum. I originally clicked on it in preview on the main forum page.

• Wow

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Nope, not on my end.

View attachment 23969

OK, this is just plain weird. This thread is not showing for me in the forum. I originally clicked on it in preview on the main forum page.
Very weird. Try logging out and back in and different browsers and systems. If it still persists, could be some database corruption on the sth forum backend. :eek:

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Always great to have more info on companies.

The game these days seems to be to build up your rep with legit sales and then right when things take off, take the money and run--and then repeat later under a different name. It's the usual game from the developing world, now closer to home for your enjoyment. :rolleyes:

If there's any first hand issues with this particular deal, it will be nice to know about them for sure.

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
What's a recertified drive anyways, and how are there already huge stock of these 20tb drives?
Are they somehow deemed b stock or something not good enough for direct sale?