2022 Thoughts\Rules on mixing SAS and SATA ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Anything new in 2022?

- LSI 3008 HBA
- Supermicro SAS2 Expander Backplane

Ok to do on an expander backplane or baddd idea?

I'm a newb when it comes to mixing myself, up until this point it's always been all of one or the other.
But some people do it, some don't and advise strongly against it...

What are your rules\experience in the last few years? Anything new?

My personal plan was x# of SAS for my primary RZ3 pool, x# of SATA for archive RZ3 pool, x# of SATA SSD for faster storage :D

OLD THREAD

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
I have a server running multiple SAS SSDs and SATA hard drives off a Supermicro SAS3 expander backplane with an LSI 3008 HBA and have had no issues with it.

Reactions: nabsltd and T_Minus

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
In the Last 10+ years i had different Adaptec raid controllers with different Backplane (cheap chieftec and Supermicro A and sas3 Expander Backplanes) and Always a Mix of SATA hdds and sas ssds (usually for Caching the Hardware raid).
So far No data loss or corruption (looking at you zfs marketing people) or These weird hickups people described with sas Expander and SATA devices

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
In the Last 10+ years i had different Adaptec raid controllers with different Backplane (cheap chieftec and Supermicro A and sas3 Expander Backplanes) and Always a Mix of SATA hdds and sas ssds (usually for Caching the Hardware raid).
So far No data loss or corruption (looking at you zfs marketing people) or These weird hickups people described with sas Expander and SATA devices
Awesome! Good to know.