2.5 JBOD chassis options

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

brianmat

Dec 11, 2013
I am looking to expand my current ZFS AIO server with some SATA SSDs and I am trying to price out some enclosure options. Right now I like the SuperMicro SC417/SC418 cases but the price/availability isn't where I would prefer to be.

I'd like to have at least 24 bays for growth. I see the HP D2700's on eBay for a good price, but I don't see any real mention of them here so I have steered away from that for the moment.

Right now we have a full SC847 36 bay chassis and that's been a great piece of hardware. For the moment I am driving everything with M1015's but I am looking for a new card for going the SSD route. I would just prefer to put $1000 into a good SSD capable HBA and spend another $1000 on a chassis rather than the current $2k for just the Supermicro chassis.

Suggestions?

brianmat

Dec 11, 2013
How about this one: 2U 24 Bay 6Gbps JBOD Flash SSD Hard Drive RAID Storage Array SAS NAS QNAP | eBay it comes with dual SAS controllers so you could make a HA setup with it. Looks like the slides come with the interposters too.
That looks interesting. I will dig around for more info on that model. The only thing that makes me nervous about that auction is the comment that they wouldn't know if there was a username/password required since they are just selling the hardware. That would otherwise be a really good candidate for this expansion.