2.5 Gbe Nic only getting 1.5 Gb/sec in Hyper-V Linux??

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kevin Peters

Jan 21, 2021
Hi, I have two computers, both with Realtek 2.5Gbe Nics. One is built into the motherboard of my Windows Pro server and the other is via USB3 on my iMac. They are connected via a Zyxel 2.5 Gbe switch.

Using iperf3 on my iMac and Windows 10 Pro I consistently get about 2.3 Gb/sec, as I would expect. However, I am running a Debian VM using Hyper-V on the server that consistently only gets around 1.5 Gb/sec. The Debian VM has plenty of RAM (8GB) and CPU (4 cores of an intel 10100). I can run iperf3 using Hyper-V's 10Gbe virtual switch between two VMs on the server and get a full 10Gbe speed.

Why am I only getting 1.5 Gb/sec?

I have tried a direct cable to eliminate the Zyxel switch (no change).
I have tried removing and re-adding the switch to my Hyper-V (no change).
The cable is a brand new Cat 6a and I have tried various other cables as well.
Debian reports that the NIC is connected at 2.5Gbe as expected.

What else can I try?

Thanks
Kevin

Kevin Peters

Jan 21, 2021
Apologies, I posted this in the wrong section. I have reposted in the Hyper-V area. Can a mod please delete this?

bbrain

Mar 23, 2021
I'm not super familiar with Realtek 2.5g nics, what kind of off-loading is it doing? What cpu/ram/mobo are you using? Are you hitting a CPU limit? Lot of times nics that don't do much offloading when you do a test or file transfer you are gonna see one core of the cpu at 100% and it just won't go any faster unless cpu or nic upgrade.