1yr VMWare VMUG Voucher - $39!!!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Entz

Apr 25, 2013
Canada Eh?
Curious if they have an expiry date as well. Already paid the full 200$ since the original auction in this thread sold out but would grab one for next year ;) Still a good deal going to a good group but cheaper is always better ;)

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
So here's what I can tell you:

VMUG : EVALExperience
That's got the basics of the offering, and I'll be doing a blog post about it later based on my internal VMUG stuff.
You get a 1 year NFR licence essentially. I don't yet know the number of licences for each - probably 8-16 for socket based, and 100 for VM based.
The big thing for most people would be vCenter not having to be torn down every 60 days - though I'm a strong arguer that that whole POINT of a home lab is spinning it up over and over to learn how to automate and streamline it, but I digress....
Once you have a licenced vCenter, to answer TubeAmps question, you could add unlimited ESXi - even if you had to do 60 day trials for additional hosts. All you have to do is rebuild the host, which I use a kickstart for and takes all of 8-10 minutes once you get good at it.

You almost certainly won't be able to use this code to add an ADDITIONAL year to an existing memebership.

I have to believe it would cover vSphere 6 when it comes out.

I already have vExpert codes, so I'm going to have to see if I can tell which codes and offers come from this offering in my account, to be able to give any better details. I think I know someone who has just the VMUG Advantage who can confirm that for me today.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
You almost certainly won't be able to use this code to add an ADDITIONAL year to an existing memebership.
Ok confirmed this point. You cannot.

Also these codes appear to be the same so may be worth holding off purchasing more. Thanks @darkconz for sending. Same as I received.

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
Crap. I was wondering if that was going to be the case. Hopefully none of us get tagged as having bad accounts or something with VMWare. My apologies if that does happen.

I'm probably going to open an eBay case with this guy. The auction states "NEVER USED".

I'm also going to remove the link from my first post so that people don't get screwed over.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
So here is what I am trying to balance:
1. I do not want people to spend money with a third party seller
2. If we post the code everyone is getting, then we will hurt the VMUG since they are not getting the revenue they need
3. I do like the idea of folks getting discounts

Reactions: F1ydave

Entz

Apr 25, 2013
Canada Eh?
2. If we post the code everyone is getting, then we will hurt the VMUG since they are not getting the revenue they need
Yeah know the feeling.

Perhaps VMUG could give a STH member community a discount code that makes it more then 39$ but less then 200$ . What happens to the seller is more between VMUG/ebay. They could invalidate the discount code and prevent it from working im sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: TallGraham

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
@Patrick and I also confirmed that my original purchase is the same exact code that him and @darkconz received. Not cool...

What sucks is I already gave this guy positive feedback right after the code worked during VMUG's checkout process. I've initiated a return with eBay under the condition of the item being counter-fit/fake. We'll see what happens.

Hank C

Jun 16, 2014
the seller must be very puzzled now..."why there were so many purchases suddenly and now stopped?"

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
Guess what? I just got a full refund. No questions asked. This guy knows he's doing something wrong.

F1ydave

Mar 9, 2014
I feel the same way. I am torn between emailing them regarding it and just letting it ride. That would be cool if we had a community discount. $39 would be fantastic! LOL.

He had to get the code somehow, I wonder how he got it.

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
Complete game over people. I just received this from VMUG:

Hello Emulsifide,

Thank you for your interest in VMUG Advantage. We noticed that you used the VADUC15 discount code to receive a complimentary subscription. We were not able to track this code to any giveaways or prizes that you received in the past year, so we were unable to fulfill your subscription.

If you believe that this action was in error, please email us at advantage@vmug.com with information on when and where you won this subscription.

In the meantime, you can still re-purchase a VMUG Advantage subscription for $200 USD here. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Best regards,
VMUG Headquarters
330 North Wabash Ave
Chicago, IL Zip 60611T 312.321.6886 | F 312.673.6979

www.vmug.com

Again, my apologies for the BS eBay seller. I had no idea.

Reactions: Patrick

tubeamps

Dec 1, 2014
The seller sent me a message and refunded my money without me asking. Shortly after I received an email that my code wasn't valid. I got excited about the licenses, so I spent $200 on a valid Eval subscription.

F1ydave

Mar 9, 2014
Seller messaged me too. I wrote VMUG, asking if they had any other discounts, since there doesn't seem to be an active local group near me.

TallGraham

Apr 28, 2013
Hastings, England
Forgetting the deal that is fake. VMUG is a brilliant find. VMware have done something like this for Colleges and Schools for a little while.

Is this just in US or can UK people sign up too?

Corporation discounts for multiples look really good @Patrick could STH get an account. I want this for my lab.

Read the article about technet ending. I used to have MSDN years ago but they priced that way beyond my reach too. Is there any news of a replacement? I used to have Dreamspark at College but am not there any more