EU 1U4LW-X570/2L2T RPSU availability in western Europe?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Borromini

Aug 25, 2021
Hey guys, first post here. Brother's got his own business and the new office will have limited space for the hardware, so we're looking at a rack to squeeze everything in (networking and storage hardware). We've been doing some research and we'd like to get an Asrock Rack 1U4LW-X570/2L2T RPSU, but it seems very difficult to get that (what isn't, with COVID and the shipping crunch nowadays?) in western Europe. Been looking at Belgian / Dutch / German webshops but can't seem to find it available anywhere.

Anyone have any pointers where to look? The Asrock Rack website links to their partners but e.g. on their German partner websites the RPSU model isn't even listed :rolleyes:.

Edit: Well seems Sona is listed and does seem to be able to deliver (haven't actually asked them for actual availability), anyone has any experience with them?

Thanks!

Last edited:

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Yes Sona is a good place to buy hardware, I have also used them a couple of times (also did a RMA with them, which was a positive experience, all things considered).

I am not saying you should not get redundant PSU's (mostly to give you more options), but are you sure you actually need them?
To my understanding, the main use for redundant PSUs (secondary being, if one of the PSU's stops working) is if you have A+B power (two sources), is that something you will have in the office?

Reactions: Borromini

Borromini

Aug 25, 2021
There's just a single power source. So the motivation is the secondary one you're speaking of, since I won't be able to go over the same day and replace the PSU if needed. My brother is handy enough but he needs his stuff to work, and while backups are handled (both off-site and offline) there is no redundancy in case the file server goes down because of hardware failure. Been considering installing a NAS for redundancy, but he's not too keen on that idea, since physical office space will be pretty limited.

It sure seems like overkill, the redundant PSU, but at this point it looks like to me like the best option? My brother saying a day of downtime costs him a few hundreds of euros (lost income but also employee costs), the redundant PSU option seems a rather cheap solution. I think that reasoning makes sense? Cloud is something I'd rather not do.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
At the end of the day, only you can decide what is right for you (and I guess Brother), and of course it is still only a small fee.
Again the main point was, that omitting redundant PSUs would potentially give you more options.

Since you are thinking about redundancies, you may want to consider what happens if some critical part of the server fails, such as the motherboard or power distribution board. What will you need to do restore systems? How long will it take to source replacement components or setup a temporary system?
Your (brother's) money may be better spent on buying a spare server, ideally in an active/active sort of failover configuration, but even stored somewhere else (where there is room) may be better.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
I should probably mention, that having a spare server is not the endgame of planning for various eventualities that may or may not occur.

At the end of the day it depends on the amount of risk your brother is willing to accept.
Obviously, if it already takes one day to restore services at a cost of 1000 EUR (including loss of business, image, salaries and so on) it probably is not worth spending 5000 EUR on mitigating the risk further.

Reactions: Borromini