1U Supermicro Server 6x 10GBE RJ45 X10SLH-LN6TF LGA 1150 H3 X10SLH-N6-ST031

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
Apologies if this is already obvious to you, but I just wanted to be sure you're aware that switching in software using the onboard ports is much less optimal (cpu load, power, heat) than using a separate hardware switch. If the reason you want 4 ports on your firewall is for isolation of multiple LANs, you'd be better served using VLANs on a cheap managed gigabit switch. Then you'd only need one link from the switch to your firewall, and one link from your firewall to your ISP modem/ONT. If you're thinking of the consumer routers with multiple ports, those are on a builtin hardware switch (so the whole box is a combination of firewall, router, switch, and often AP).

sergi0

Dec 4, 2016
Apologies if this is already obvious to you, but I just wanted to be sure you're aware that switching in software using the onboard ports is much less optimal (cpu load, power, heat) than using a separate hardware switch. If the reason you want 4 ports on your firewall is for isolation of multiple LANs, you'd be better served using VLANs on a cheap managed gigabit switch. Then you'd only need one link from the switch to your firewall, and one link from your firewall to your ISP modem/ONT. If you're thinking of the consumer routers with multiple ports, those are on a builtin hardware switch (so the whole box is a combination of firewall, router, switch, and often AP).
thanks for your input. I need to have mutliple networks besides my ISP router due to different level of security. I did not thought I could do it using VLAN, but you are right. I will give a look at openbsd capabilities on that (I am pretty sure that won't be a problem).
:)

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
Finally got mine unpacked and ready to go. Looks like i need to put in a SATADOM as the little firewall case has no room for hard drives even though I bought a 2 SSD/3.5 caddy, this case is challenging enough as it is as the motherboard takes up the entire chasis.

penguinslovebananas

Sep 25, 2020
Finally got mine unpacked and ready to go. Looks like i need to put in a SATADOM as the little firewall case has no room for hard drives even though I bought a 2 SSD/3.5 caddy, this case is challenging enough as it is as the motherboard takes up the entire chasis.
You might want to check out one of these.

SATADOM adapter

Reseller page

I bought two of them for a different server I was building but ended up not going through with that build. I really like that you can run the satadom port to the rear slots and have external access. It took a while to get here from germany, if you are interest I would be will to sell you one of mine (never been used) for cost and send it your way. Shoot me a dm if you are interested.

Reactions: eduncan911

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
You might want to check out one of these.

SATADOM adapter

Reseller page

I bought two of them for a different server I was building but ended up not going through with that build. I really like that you can run the satadom port to the rear slots and have external access. It took a while to get here from germany, if you are interest I would be will to sell you one of mine (never been used) for cost and send it your way. Shoot me a dm if you are interested.
The SATADOM's fit like a champ in the case, no issues or problems. Thanks for the idea though.

MarinaTRIO

Aug 25, 2022
Cannes
Hi
here is my small project not fully specified but it is at the base of a SD NAS et a SD Switch 10Gb por a small workgroup with many photos and a little video editing:

HDW Supermicro X10SLH-LN6TF
Xeon E3 xx70 v3 more or less
4x8GB DDR3 ECC UDIMM
PciE 8X 3.0 2xSSD NVMe via board
PCIe 4X 2.0 Intel 4x1GB Ethernet (in stock)
SATA 3.0 2 to 4 HDD 6TB

Software
Solution 1: PROXMOX
Vistual Switch 10GBs
Virtual TrueNAS Core
1 VM Windows 11

Solution 2: TrueNAS Scale
Virtual Switch 10GBsSolution 3: VMware ...

Clients and Peripherals
5 iMac M1 Eth 10GBs TimeMachine and FileSharing
3 Epson Ecotank Print Scanner etc 1GBs
macs must be able to use some 'MS Publisher' program via Windows virtual machine
SD WAN to Router fiber optic 10 GB

what do you think? thank for replys
Marina

MacGyver16502

Jul 20, 2016
Hooked up my age-old Kill-a-Watt. Here's some accurate numbers for everyone, since I never trust these Supermicro PDCs.

Setup:
  • Supermicro 1U Chassis that the X19SLH-LN6TF comes in, stock PWS-341P-1H 340W PSU
  • E3-1270V3, passive heatsink, 32 GB DDR3-1600Mhz
  • Standard 4 counter-routing fans (the two dummies are empty, as usual for this chassis)
  • 79F ambient temp
  • No HDDs, no SATADOM, No PCIe card in Riser (Riser present though)
  • No RJ45 cables connected, not even IPMI
  • Supermicro TPM Module installed
  • BIOS Reset to Optimum Defaults (default power savings settings)
  • BMC Enabled
  • Dell 1000W rack UPS, load output stable @ 115 VAC
The X540 nics were hardware disable/powered-off using the JPL1/JPL2/JPL3 jumpers during those test runs.

I chose Ubuntu installer as the default Linux kernel has reasonable C state power savings where as FreeBSD (pfSense) does not out of the box (need a package). However, they could be optimized further on both OS.

IPMI Plugged in, system powered off:
  • Spikes to 25 W (BMC booting?)
  • 10.0 W idle
  • 13 W with Link/Cable
All 3 x X540 NICs enabled:
  • First boot/waiting on BMC: 75.8 W
  • BIOS Tests: 93.4 W
  • Post-Boot, Fans Calm Down, idle Built-in EFI Shell: 72.1 W (dips to 66.7 W at times) for 5 minutes
  • Boot to Ubuntu 21.04 Installer: 64.1 W - 71 W for 5 minutes
Just 1 x X540 NIC enabled:
  • First boot/waiting on BMC: 70.8
  • BIOS Tests: 89.9 W
  • Post-Boot, Fans Calm Down, idle Built-in EFI Shell: 65.4 W (dips to 62.9 W at times) for 5 minutes
  • Boot to Ubuntu 21.04 Installer: 59.9 W - 62.9 W for 5 minutes
All 3 x X540 NICs disabled:
  • First boot/waiting on BMC: 68.2 W
  • BIOS Tests: 86.7 W
  • Post-Boot, Fans Calm Down, idle Built-in EFI Shell: 61.2 W (dips to 60.5 W at times) for 5 minutes
  • Boot to Ubuntu 21.04 Installer: 57.0 W - 60.5 W for 5 minutes
There were various spikes, like waiting on the BMC it spikes 3-5W higher at times. Also, booting all 3 x X540 nics hit over 105 W sometimes during Ubuntu's boot sequence.

Correction: Updated BMC idle with power off, as with a link it idles at 13 W all the time.
Is there a way to disable IPMI on this board? I'm not seeing a jumper for it...

ProLiant

Aug 23, 2022
Does anyone know if these mobos work for i7 4790k and desktop DDR3 ram? I have some parts laying around and was seeing if I could reuse.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
No i don't see a jumper to disable the ipmi on the manual either.
And I don't think there was a bios option to disable. (not running board right now so I can't prove it).

Glock24

May 13, 2019
Does anyone know if these mobos work for i7 4790k and desktop DDR3 ram? I have some parts laying around and was seeing if I could reuse.
Only Xeon E3 v3/v4, Celeron and i3 are supported. No support for i5 or i7.
As for RAM the specs for the X10SLH say ECC UDIMM only.

ProLiant

Aug 23, 2022
Only Xeon E3 v3/v4, Celeron and i3 are supported. No support for i5 or i7.
As for RAM the specs for the X10SLH say ECC UDIMM only.
Thanks for the response! I'm seeing some reports on this thread that having i5s working but no reports of i7s. Also some reports of regular DDR3 working. Weird I guess I can try it and hope I don't fry my 4790k :)

Hello all, i have received this board from the seller on the first page, and am using it with an Intel i5-4570S and 12gb RAM.
I have installed Win 10 Pro on SSD and installed a pcie network card to give it internet access/remote desktop and then bridged all 6 10GBe NIC's.

with a mapped NVME drive I get the attached speeds using CrystalDiskMarkView attachment 15377

I was expecting mush slower than this.
Cleaning the cpu contacts with alcohol is recommended first step for memory issues. It can be also bad motherboard. My board accepted ordinary DDR3 without any issue.

Reactions: Samir

Glock24

May 13, 2019
Thanks for the response! I'm seeing some reports on this thread that having i5s working but no reports of i7s. Also some reports of regular DDR3 working. Weird I guess I can try it and hope I don't fry my 4790k :)
Strange, maybe because of custom BIOS. I have X9 and X10 boards and they don't work with i5 and i7 CPUs, but i3 works. Also have tested non-ECC memory and the boards won't boot.

Reactions: Samir

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Strange, maybe because of custom BIOS. I have X9 and X10 boards and they don't work with i5 and i7 CPUs, but i3 works. Also have tested non-ECC memory and the boards won't boot.
All Intel Core-i CPUs are built to support ECC. It's just Intel disables ECC on i5 and i7, so they don't compete with the Xeon series.

This includes almost all i3 and low-end Pentium/Atom CPUs all supporting ECC. Some i5 models over a couple of Tick generations had ECC as they were basically the i3 of the next Tock generation.