1U Supermicro Server 6x 10GBE RJ45 X10SLH-LN6TF LGA 1150 H3 X10SLH-N6-ST031

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mbze430

Nov 1, 2019
Yes, i3 and i5 works

on the other hand, I brought few E3-1240 v3 for $38 each. similar performance of I7
That's a good price. But this is just running XigmaNAS and only doing SMB/NFS shares. Just needed the 10Gb. Think my little I3 or Pentium should be fine.

up2urheadlights

Nov 13, 2019
I didn't see if this was mention in searching this thread. But I know the board say E3-1200 v3 processors and none other. Anyone tried another 1150 CPU? I have a few 1150 non-Xeon CPU but support (Low voltage I3/Pentium), ECC memory. Does this BIOS support non-Xeon?
Haswell Celeron works. I'm not sure about Broadwell, I don't think Supermicro updated the BIOS with newer microcode. I think maybe we can use UBU to update the microcode, but I don't have a copy of the BIOS and the link provided earlier is dead. Can someone post a new link to the BIOS or send to me?

up2urheadlights

Nov 13, 2019
I was able to get the firmware, and updated the microcode to the latest version using UBU. Unfortunately, this did not enable V4 Xeon to work. Get power loop, no POST.

Does anyone have a X10SLH-F board to see if that board can use V4 chips? It may be as simple as modifying that boards bios to include things like the 10GBE drivers. I'll likely just flash the F bios and see if it works and report back here. There were two bios revisions newer for the F, 3.4 vs 3.2 on the LN6.

up2urheadlights

Nov 13, 2019
I was able to get the firmware, and updated the microcode to the latest version using UBU. Unfortunately, this did not enable V4 Xeon to work. Get power loop, no POST.

Does anyone have a X10SLH-F board to see if that board can use V4 chips? It may be as simple as modifying that boards bios to include things like the 10GBE drivers. I'll likely just flash the F bios and see if it works and report back here. There were two bios revisions newer for the F, 3.4 vs 3.2 on the LN6.
After a bit of digging using UBU and AMIBCP the bios has microcode 40671 which according to Intel is for Broadwell Xeon E3 V4 chips, and I previously noted updating to the latest microcode from Intel still doesn't allow E3 V4 chips to boot, at least with the E3-1285 V4 that I have. This CPU is untested (don't have any other board to test), so it's possible I got a DOA chip. Anyone care to test this, it's the drunkencat version updated to the latest microcode.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018

I have the board but I don't have V4 chip to test.

GhettoSuperstar

Mar 12, 2020
I didn't see if this was mention in searching this thread. But I know the board say E3-1200 v3 processors and none other. Anyone tried another 1150 CPU? I have a few 1150 non-Xeon CPU but support (Low voltage I3/Pentium), ECC memory. Does this BIOS support non-Xeon?
I know it's probably overkill, but i use Intel Xeon E3-1265LV3 2.5 GHz Quad-Core (CM8064601467406) Processor SR15A (cut and paste from ebay).
My active power usage with PFsense and using the only one 10gig port for the cablemodem and a Mellanox ConnectX-3 with 10GBase-SR SFP+ Transceiver going to a Brocade 24p switch is 50w.

up2urheadlights

Nov 13, 2019
I've given up on getting the E3-1285 V4 processor to work, as I believe it's less performant and a higher TDP than a 4790k, despite the 4790k using 22nm vs 14nm on the V4 broadwell chip. This is probably due to the better graphics included in Broadwell chips, which can't be used in this motherboard anyways. 4790k will be way cheaper as well, wish I had never bothered with the V4 Xeon.

zanechua

May 6, 2016
yeah I saw the ebay for the I/O plate $21 pretty stiff for a little plate like that. I will just have it open till the prices comes down.
Would just like to mention that the IO layout is the same as various other SM boards.

The part number for the IO shield is MCP-260-00084-0N.

Reactions: Pheckphul

killnfield

Nov 24, 2021
Hey everyone I am a little late too the party. I picked up an LGA 1150 H3 X10SLH-N6-ST031 off eBay last week and waiting for delivery. I noticed after reading through this thread that it uses a custom bio due to the 3x540 intel Nics. Unfortunately, all of the custom bios unlocked BIOS links are no longer working. Is there any chance someone would be willing to host a new link for the file?

Thanks, Killnfield

up2urheadlights

Nov 13, 2019
Hey everyone I am a little late too the party. I picked up an LGA 1150 H3 X10SLH-N6-ST031 off eBay last week and waiting for delivery. I noticed after reading through this thread that it uses a custom bio due to the 3x540 intel Nics. Unfortunately, all of the custom bios unlocked BIOS links are no longer working. Is there any chance someone would be willing to host a new link for the file?

Thanks, Killnfield
mod_bios.rom This contains the most recent microcode.

Reactions: tvo and Bert

mbze430

Nov 1, 2019
I just got this motherboard from ebay (parts-met-servers) BIOS is locked and I tried the password in this thread; no good. I can't boot from USB, SSD or HDD. Am I screwed? I downloaded the BIOS but I can't flash it without going to DOS. During boot I don't see IPMI address either.

nevermind! I just figured out the password... it's password. So anyone that might get one from parts-met-servers will know in advance

Reactions: EasyRhino and Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I just got this motherboard from ebay (parts-met-servers) BIOS is locked and I tried the password in this thread; no good. I can't boot from USB, SSD or HDD. Am I screwed? I downloaded the BIOS but I can't flash it without going to DOS. During boot I don't see IPMI address either.

nevermind! I just figured out the password... it's password. So anyone that might get one from parts-met-servers will know in advance
Reminds me of the time I bought a Sargent and Greenleaf heavy duty combination lock on eBay for dirt cheap because the seller didn't know the combination. First thing I tried when I got it was the default combination it leaves the factory with, 20-30-40. And what do you know, it opened.

up2urheadlights

Nov 13, 2019

I just sent them a message on eBay and they sent me the password. IPMI should be set to DHCP, so you would just need to figure out what address your router set for it.

mbze430

Nov 1, 2019
I just sent them a message on eBay and they sent me the password. IPMI should be set to DHCP, so you would just need to figure out what address your router set for it.
yeah like I said i figured it out anyway. and the IPMI was statically assigned when I got into it. so yeah thanks but didn't help any.

mbze430

Nov 1, 2019
Okay I need some help or suggestion. I didn't realize the IPMI port on this motherboard is dedicated. Thinking it was shared (Cause I need more ports) I set it to share. Now I can't get into it. Even in the BIOS all hose settings are blacked out.

Suggestion?

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
Install ipmicfg tool and update the setting via the tool from the host OS.

zedalert

Feb 2, 2022
Just received mine recently shipped through mail forward to RU. It has some weird behaviour:
- channel A slots do not accept any memory and post 55 with 4 beeps
- thumb drive in the USB3.0 port can freeze other USB devices
- IPMI port blinks with green and amber in rotation, like it's non-stable 1Gb, but it is not
- one of the X540 (closest to the IPMI/COM) is hot even in standby

oh yeah unless you have 'issues with kvm console' i guess it's not a big deal.

I haven't used my KVM console after I finally got it set up.
It has had some issues with keyboard input, e.g. in Ubuntu KB was working only in the system menu, not in terminal or gedit until you press Hotplug from the KVM menu.