1U Supermicro Server 6x 10GBE RJ45 X10SLH-LN6TF LGA 1150 H3 X10SLH-N6-ST031

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
if you put a good passive heatsink on the CPU and a fan over the X-540 heatsinks then it's near silent (even with the side off my case)

I am not using mine much anymore so may look to sell soon (UK only)
I am in the UK (London) and would be very happy to consider purchasing this if the time is right, etc.

Reactions: Samir

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
They pull a lot of power for a lightly used home server.
Yeah, my old netgear home router probably used about 10W. This uses around 65W (and I still have the netgear as a wireless AP).

But, on the upside, it's got opnsense installed, and I....
a) have never had a bittorrent like download slow down due to router getting overloaded
b) haven't had anything like a whiff of a quality of service complain (streaming, Zoom etc)
c) have been confident that any time I lose internet connection, the solution is always to restart the cable modem to my dumb ISP, never the router.

and eventually I'll get some other device that supports 10GB RJ45 so I can actually use all those great ports :)

so it's probably worth the power wastage.

Reactions: Samir

discoeels

May 8, 2013
I ultimately decided that the RJ-45 ports limited my options. SFP+ add-in cards, direct attach copper, cheap modules, etc are out there. 10Gbe wasn't the main reason I was putting this together anyway. More Wireshark and troubleshooting l fun with LACP and MPIO too.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Yeah, my old netgear home router probably used about 10W. This uses around 65W (and I still have the netgear as a wireless AP).

But, on the upside, it's got opnsense installed, and I....
a) have never had a bittorrent like download slow down due to router getting overloaded
b) haven't had anything like a whiff of a quality of service complain (streaming, Zoom etc)
c) have been confident that any time I lose internet connection, the solution is always to restart the cable modem to my dumb ISP, never the router.

and eventually I'll get some other device that supports 10GB RJ45 so I can actually use all those great ports :)

so it's probably worth the power wastage.
Yep considering the power difference probably amounts to $10 USD for the whole year (if even that much).

Power isn't as big a factor in home labs as it is in the datacenter--unless your homelab looks like a datacenter. :D

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Power isn't as big a factor in home labs as it is in the datacenter--unless your homelab looks like a datacenter. :D
Power is expensive in Denmark, so even a small homelab runs up into more than $1000 USD per year in power.

The "few" servers I run probably uses around 4-500w/h, which quickly amounts to something, when every kw/h cost around 0.38 USD :-(

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
I recently got this board off EBay. Flashed the new Bios from Ez and then reset IPMI with IPMItools. It's a cool board. I'm a huge fan of oddballs but I decided to go with something that I can put in my CSE-731I-300B chassis (X10-SLF). The bios fan control completely freaked out when I mixed an 80mm Noctua with 120mm fans so YMMV depending on your setup. A fun project but I need "just works" for labs/self-study.
Since you modified the chassis from non-stock with the Noctua, no Supermicro board will "just work" any longer.

Either install the stock fan, or modify the IPMI fan settings like the rest of us.

discoeels

May 8, 2013
Since you modified the chassis from non-stock with the Noctua, no Supermicro board will "just work" any longer.

Either install the stock fan, or modify the IPMI fan settings like the rest of us.
I guess I wasn't very clear. I didn't do anything to that chassis. I want to reuse it and repurpose the board that's in there to storage. I don't think this board would fit in there anyway.

Reactions: eduncan911

zanechua

May 6, 2016
Upgraded the ipmi on the board from 3.84 to 3.90.

Used the ipmi firmware for the X10SLH-F for the upgrade.

Did a backup in case anything went wrong but seems to be working fine.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
Upgraded the ipmi on the board from 3.84 to 3.90.

Used the ipmi firmware for the X10SLH-F for the upgrade.

Did a backup in case anything went wrong but seems to be working fine.
Interesting. Does the new ipmi do anything useful?

mbze430

Nov 1, 2019
I plan to get this board to replace my old SuperMicro board. However I am planning to place it in a regular full tower case that accepts e-ATX. Is the board mount holes standard ATX/M-ATX holes?

Second, I see SATA 4 and SATA 5 is in a yellow port, are they different?
Third, is there a manual?
Forth, what is the status on BIOS and IPMI firmware?
Fifth, Are there I/O plates out there? or these boards come out from the 1U unit it's actually part of it?

Last edited:

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
I plan to get this board to replace my old SuperMicro board. However I am planning to place it in a regular full tower case that accepts e-ATX. Is the board mount holes standard ATX/M-ATX holes?

Second, I see SATA 4 and SATA 5 is in a yellow port, are they different?
Third, is there a manual?
Forth, what is the status on BIOS and IPMI firmware?
Fifth, Are there I/O plates out there? or these boards come out from the 1U unit it's actually part of it?
I'm on mobile right now so can't give specifics.

But all the answers you seek are in this thread. Use the search feature for this one thread for the manual, io plate, bios and ipmi, etc. It's all here.

For the different color data ports, that's standard SATADOM.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
The board is few inches longer than standard MATX , holes will line up.
Just prepare to use couple of plastic standoff for the front part of the board.

It uses SM I/O plates, could be purchased on Ebay, or SM store.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
the version of the board I bought came with an io backplate, but it was a screw in plate presumably for a rackmount system, and doesn't exactly fit a ATX case.

mbze430

Nov 1, 2019
I didn't see if this was mention in searching this thread. But I know the board say E3-1200 v3 processors and none other. Anyone tried another 1150 CPU? I have a few 1150 non-Xeon CPU but support (Low voltage I3/Pentium), ECC memory. Does this BIOS support non-Xeon?

Last edited: