1U Supermicro Server 6x 10GBE RJ45 X10SLH-LN6TF LGA 1150 H3 X10SLH-N6-ST031

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
If the ram works youl should still get a little beep during post.

What type of ram are you using? Not registered, is it?

mattias8

Feb 18, 2021
I do get a little beep, yes. I don't get the 5 beeps that would indicate a RAM error.

It's ECC non registered. PC3L-12800E

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
If you get video out with a discrete gpu then there's a bios setting to control integrated vs discrete video

But if you don't get video then, then it's probably a busted bmc or vga and I would try to return it.

tinman

Apr 13, 2021
I appreciate your response, however the information is incorrect. This xeon processor that comes with it and the entire series of E series and the chipset support BOTH ECC and NON-ECC ram. In fact, you can even intermix them, but they will all run at non-ECC in that case. However, they do not support Registered (buffered) RAM of any kind. As far as I am aware this is a chipset limitation. Because this changes for some xeon dual- and quad-socket CPU motherboard. Additionally the low-voltage ram labeled with an "L" is also supported.

From page 2-14 of the manual:

The X10SLH-LN6TF supports up to 32GB of Unbuffered (UDIMM) DDR3 ECC
1600/1333 MHz (1.35V/1.5V) memory in four slots.

Updated: Manual here

iotapi322

Sep 8, 2017
My board just came today and I put into it a 4690k processor and the ram that was with that processor on another board. Powering up I get a screen but then 3 beeps. I think this means it doesn’t like the ram. I have some other ecc server ram that I can try, but I thought this board could run non registered ram.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
Three slow beeps? Ram

I am using non registered non ecc in mine no problem

Try using just one stick at a time in different slots

iotapi322

Sep 8, 2017
Three slow beeps? Ram

I am using non registered non ecc in mine no problem

Try using just one stick at a time in different slots
Yes - I apparently didn't have it mounted properly. Once I reseated the ram everything came up fine.

This is the first super micro board I've ever used in person, I like the IPMI better than the Dell r710 iDrac and the HP ILO3 I've used.

Subatomic

Mar 23, 2020
I thought I would share my experience with this board. I recently bought one off ebay to be used in a 2u NAS I was assembling. I paired it with a SuperMicro CS-825TQ that I also purchased off ebay. This board works very nicely for this purpose, as the front panel header appears to be the same as the X8 board that came with the case so I could just plug that in directly. There is also a header on the board for the power supply monitoring. I am currently using a PWS-920P-1R. The board came with bios password locked, but I was able to use ipmi to reflash with the bios version found here to remove the password. The board came with a steel i/o plate that has screw holes, but I had purchased an Aluminum pop-in plate directly from SuperMicro that I used instead. I purchased several of these, since the shipping was as much as one of the plates, so If anyone needs one I have a couple available for cost + shipping ($12) - sorry USA shipping only.

I installed a SuperMicro SAS2 HBA controller (AOC-S2308L-L8E) and 7 4tb drives in raidz2 (+1 spare), along with a cheap 128Gb ssd for the operating system. The system is running Proxmox with TrueNAS virtualized and all seems to be well so far, although I am thinking about purchasing a 920SQ power supply to reduce the noise. I had no problem passing though the HBA controller, but had to set the ACS option to split the iommu groups in order to pass though only some of the 10Gb ports.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
Thanks for the info. What do you mean by "passing though the hba controller"? What is ACS and IOMMU?

Subatomic

Mar 23, 2020
Thanks for the info. What do you mean by "passing though the hba controller"? What is ACS and IOMMU?
I am passing my SuperMicro branded LSI SAS controller through to a virtual machine so it looks just like a raw device. Devices on hosts that support hardware virtualization get grouped into IOMMU for translating from virtual to physical addresses. This requires enabling Intel VT-d virtualization in the bios. I am also passing some of the 10Gb ethernet ports. However, out of the box all 6 ports were grouped into a single IOMMU group, meaning that you can either pass all ports or none at all to the virtual machine. Enabling the ACS option allows individual PCIE connections to be isolated from others and allowing to passthrough only some of the the 10Gb ports. There a plenty of good guides for PCIE passthrough available online that explain this in much more depth

I should note that enabling this requires the option to the grub boot options. On my machine this looks like:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=on pcie_acs_override=downstream"

Last edited:
Reactions: abq and Bert

tjk

Mar 3, 2013
Anyone get these working with SATA HDD's in raid/non raid mode? Trying latest Debian and it won't see the controller or drives. Not sure if I'm missing something or not.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
I was able to use a Sata SSD and a Sata HDD in basic ahci mode with freebsd and proxmox and esxi recognizing... No special effort.

Reactions: tjk

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
It's a micro-ATX form factor so I suspect it would. Better check to see if there's a I/O shield available for it if one is not included.
I measure 9.6" wide; however, 12" deep.

IIRC, mATX is 9.6 x 9.6.

So, it would fit width-wise, like slots. However, you'll need a deep deep chassis.

Humm, I have a NIB Supermicro mATX case in the garage. I wonder how deep of a mobo it would allow.

EDIT:
  • The memory slots comes all the way forward to 11", as measured from the rear of the board.
  • The CPU socket/heatsink comes all the way forward to 10", as measured from the rear of the board.
  • Not to mention a lot of the connectors are at the very front of the board, needing clearance.
So, I doubt it would fit in any mATX chassis as that's usually the area for drive bays, radiators, fans, etc.

Let's take the Supermicro CSE-731i-300B: It would fit if I removed the cage that holds all 4 x 3.5" drive bays as the drive cage would hit the memory/slots and CPU cooler/socket (but who would want to do that?).

However, there are no stand-off to mount the front of the board in that area.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sogndal94

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I measure 9.5" wide; however, 12" deep.

IIRC, mATX is 9.5 x 9.5.

So, it would fit width-wise, like slots. However, you'll need a deep deep chassis.

Humm, I have a NIB Supermicro mATX case in the garage. I wonder how deep of a mobo it would allow.

EDIT:
  • The memory slots comes all the way forward to 11", as measured from the rear of the board.
  • The CPU socket/heatsink comes all the way forward to 10", as measured from the rear of the board.
  • Not to mention a lot of the connectors are at the very front of the board, needing clearance.
So, I doubt it would fit in any mATX chassis as that's usually the area for drive bays, radiators, fans, etc.

Let's take the Supermicro CSE-731i-300B: It would fit if I removed the cage that holds all 4 x 3.5" drive bays as the drive cage would hit the memory/slots and CPU cooler/socket (but who would want to do that?).

However, there are no stand-off to mount the front of the board in that area.
Then it shouldn't be advertised as M-ATX, it should be Proprietary.

Screenshot from 2021-06-29 11-57-32.png

Attachments

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Then it shouldn't be advertised as M-ATX, it should be Proprietary.

View attachment 19164
That's not the same motherboard. It doesn't have 3x 45nm power-hungry large heatsinked Intel X550 10GBaseT chips.

I don't think SM advertises this mobo anywhere, not on their public site.

However, in their manual they state it's an ATX - which is wrong:

Dimensions ATX form factor (9.6" x 12") (243.84 mm x 304.8 mm)
Source: https://drunkencat.net/misc/X10SLH-LN6TF.pdf

So, I guess you can call it... Extended mATX or E-mATX, if there was such a thing. Lol. Since that's how other ATX boards get away with various depths beyond the ATX standard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kyle Duren

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Sorry, didn't explain.

They are wrong for calling it an ATX board.
  • MicroATX Spec: 9.6" x 9.6" square
  • ATX Standard: 12" (width) x 9.6" (depth)
  • X10SLH-LN6TF: 9.6" (width) x 12" (depth)
They basically just rotated the ATX spec, 90°.

meaning technically, this board does not fit Micro-ATX nor ATX chassis !!!

So basically: Your chassis needs to be able to support E-ATX or Extended ATX boards for a care-free plug-play setup.

E-ATX basically means: 9.6" width, and "up-to" 13.68" depth. Then there are boards that go beyond the 9.6" width called EE-ATX. There are no additional standoffs IIRC.

Though, I have modified quite a few ATX-only chassis to fit E-ATX in my days.

Last edited: