1U Supermicro Server 6x 10GBE RJ45 X10SLH-LN6TF LGA 1150 H3 X10SLH-N6-ST031

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
My test bed hardware ( CPU RAM ) and software config is in post #151
result in post #161 and vyos config is in #162

vyos version is 1.2.x

If you have questions, I am happy to answer.

Reactions: Bert

Marsh

May 12, 2013
The second option seems scary as it seems like using VYOS as home router could be quite a challenge as it may be missing many firewall/security features.

At one time , many years ago, vyos and Ubiquiti firewall Router shared similar code base.
vYos is a very capable firewall router, it is intimating to configure the firewall rules properly.
There are many examples of firewall / router if you search it.

One function is missing , DNS and DHCP tight integration.

I run vyos virtual router in all my internal network.

Reactions: Bert

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
Thank you very much, @Marsh! Your help will be greatly appreciated.

I tried to use the configuration at post but I am not able to get the router functionality working with the bridge (I decided to use VYOS as the router to keep things simple).

I was able to make the VYOS working as router before adding the switch configuration. I am running VYOS on VM but my devices are physical, hence all hypernet switches are external. I attached my script/configuration. I am not sure why setting the interface on bridge does not let devices connected to the ports taking address and connectivity. Other than one port, none of the ports on the switch is giving IP to the connected devices. Eth1 is the only one giving IP but routing is still not working hence there is no internet connectivity. Same VYOS set up was working fine before setting up the bridge.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I followed the instructions given here:

Pretty much my conf is exactly same other than the management port for me to ssh. I am pretty sure Hyper-V is configured correctly as it worked when I was running VYOS as router. Now, I expect to see the computer connected to one of the ports have received IP from the home router and indicate internet connectivity but none of them is happening. Am I missing something obvious with VYOS conf?

Attachments

Zombielinux

Jun 14, 2019
Followup questions after reading this thread:

1) Can the individual pairs of nics be turned off (maybe via powertop?) I really only need one or two (for now)

2) What chassis is this? From seeing individual pictures, it looks like a CSE815. If that's the case, I'd be interested to see if an optical drive kit would fit in it.

I am looking to make a low power/maintenance SAS to iSCSI target server, and if this works, it would fit the bill.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
from my old post #183, you can disable NICs (pairs) with jumpers. When I disabled all 3 it only reduced power consumption from idle 60W to 50W.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
The price for motherboard is now $78. It looks like they had a lot of them.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
Would just like to mention that the IO layout is the same as various other SM boards.

The part number for the IO shield is MCP-260-00084-0N.

Oh that's awesome because the bundled io shield flops around a atx case

mattias8

Feb 18, 2021
I received one of these, installed a CPU and RAM. No beeps. But also no VGA signal.

Checked JPG1 jumper and it's on 1-2 (enabled).

Seller reset the IPMI user/pass but didn't write down the IP address.
If I can't get into the BIOS, do I have to run a DHCP server and provide it an IP address?

Is there a default IP address for the IPMI on these machines?

Edit: I tried 192.168.0.1

Edit 2: I also tried running a DHCP server in case the BMC was looking for an IP. That didn't work either.

Last edited:

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
KB and Monitor directly connected is your best bet. Ignore the IPMI.

Did you happen to reset the bios? Remove the cmos battery (if there is one)? There should also be a jumper to reset the BIOS (check the manual).

After resetting the bios, VGA output should be working. If not, it could be a faulty board.

See if you can get some beeps out of it. Remove the RAM, or CPU, and try to boot. You should get beeps.

If no beeps, then the last thing to consider would be a failed flash or bad board. For a failed flash, you can recover the bios:

Besides that... Board would be dead, and contact the seller. Something this big and heavy, the seller doesn't want you to send back - as they would have to pay shipping.

Reactions: ColdCanuck

mattias8

Feb 18, 2021
Thanks eduncan.

The seller reset the bios on mine before shipping. But I took out the CMOS battery and it reads 3.012V. I put it back in and booted. Same thing.

I can get beeps out of it if I remove the RAM. Five short, One long, like it says in Appendix A of the manual.

I've already contacted the seller and will see what he says.

I will also try plugging in a graphics card and disabling JPG1 to see if I can get video out that way.