1U Supermicro Server 6x 10GBE RJ45 X10SLH-LN6TF LGA 1150 H3 X10SLH-N6-ST031

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nickf1227

Sep 23, 2015
I can confirm that I, too, am having problems with my HBA card. My LSI 9207-8i just wouldn't show up at all.

Prof_G

Jan 16, 2020
>>>>>> ON TOPIC?????? Doesn't seem like there are many thread Nazi's around here. I have been Eyeing these boards about a year as a have a couple of 1265Lv3 Should make for beefy low power Switch/Router maybe get some practice setting up site to site VPN from pm parents house to My house.

Those of you that bought them Would you do it again?

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
If you want low power, this isn't it as the 10GbE NICs make it anything but.

Prof_G

Jan 16, 2020
35W on the Processor Vs 65W adds up in California. There is no Such thing as Low Power 10GbE. Still cost for a board/rack its a good price point because many of us still have older Haswell Based CPU/DRR3 memory that can be used to create a better 10GbE home back bone.

Prof_G

Jan 16, 2020
@ Marsh your going to build all of them out the same HW wise and rerun those tests that you did on the Virtual router.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
That's the plan.
I just finished putting all the hardware piece together tonight.
Next step is install Proxmox and build the VM.

I have boards with E3-1240v3 , and E3-1226v3.
It will be interesting to see how much difference between the two CPU.

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
35W on the Processor Vs 65W adds up in California. There is no Such thing as Low Power 10GbE. Still cost for a board/rack its a good price point because many of us still have older Haswell Based CPU/DRR3 memory that can be used to create a better 10GbE home back bone.
That's a common misconception. At idle, both CPUs will wind up using the same amount. The TDP is just the cap on the maximum power usage. If you don't need a bunch of 10GbE (which it doesn't seem like), there are far cheaper 1150 motherboards available that will draw considerably less power. For example: *TESTED* Supermicro X10SLM-F LGA 1150 DDR3 Motherboard w/I/O Shield & 1u Sink | eBay

10GbE can be low power, it just has to have SFP+ instead of copper.

Reactions: mervincm

Prof_G

Jan 16, 2020
@BlueFox

NOT 10GbE
SuperMicro X10SLM-F

Most H3 socket motherboards don't have 10GbE built in. I would say native boards that have 10GbE or Fiber on an H3 socket are less than my fingers on one hand in a semi common form factor.

A home router at my house is not idle in the slightest, Mother-In-Law streams TV just to have background noise I swear... and she's constantly downloading something that she shouldn't. She thinks she needs a VPN to play her games on her iPhone so that she won't get a virus but gets scammed into buying the apps. So power is based off of a processor with load even if its not all the time. Plus Copper is easier to mate to existing networking even though I have a TurboIron 24x switch the fiber patch or copper converter is still 30-40 bucks. 6 copper 10GbE is just right for future proofing and if I buy 4 copper Converters for the 10GbE its about paid for itself to buy the Server board in this thread..

Buying a second one to play with to have one at my parents would just be for learning and setting up Site to Site.

Marsh

Pitting 4c4t against 4c8T both are close in watts so maybe not a power difference. Both have 8mb L3 which I find interesting wouldn't think a 4c4t would have that cache size. But maybe the 8mb Is standard on most E3 v3's.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Would I gain anything by putting a 10g adapter in my PfSense box?

These systems boards are purely for my LAB experiment purpose. Not for real life usage.
With 6 x 10gbe network onboard, I won't use any pice slot and still keep the system board size small.

I brought 5 systems, planning to experiment with various OS cluster setup.

Reactions: Fritz

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
@BlueFox

NOT 10GbE
SuperMicro X10SLM-F

Most H3 socket motherboards don't have 10GbE built in. I would say native boards that have 10GbE or Fiber on an H3 socket are less than my fingers on one hand in a semi common form factor.

A home router at my house is not idle in the slightest, Mother-In-Law streams TV just to have background noise I swear... and she's constantly downloading something that she shouldn't. She thinks she needs a VPN to play her games on her iPhone so that she won't get a virus but gets scammed into buying the apps. So power is based off of a processor with load even if its not all the time. Plus Copper is easier to mate to existing networking even though I have a TurboIron 24x switch the fiber patch or copper converter is still 30-40 bucks. 6 copper 10GbE is just right for future proofing and if I buy 4 copper Converters for the 10GbE its about paid for itself to buy the Server board in this thread..

Buying a second one to play with to have one at my parents would just be for learning and setting up Site to Site.

Marsh

Pitting 4c4t against 4c8T both are close in watts so maybe not a power difference. Both have 8mb L3 which I find interesting wouldn't think a 4c4t would have that cache size. But maybe the 8mb Is standard on most E3 v3's.
I'm well aware there's no 10GbE on that board. It doesn't sound like you need it at all however (you couldn't run pfSense at 10GbE speeds with an 1150 setup anyway). I think you also vastly overestimate the CPU power required to do basic firewall/routing/VPN at the kind of speeds one has in a residential setup. A decade old Atom CPU will do it. If you need to use spare hardware, the X10SLM-F will make for a far better router (though still overkill) as it's cheaper to buy and considerably cheaper to run.

Prof_G

Jan 16, 2020
I'm well aware there's no 10GbE on that board. It doesn't sound like you need it at all however (you couldn't run pfSense at 10GbE speeds with an 1150 setup anyway)

They run PFsense on atoms with less power at 10GbE... your statement doesn't make sense.
Also can't run at 10GbE this board has 6 of them on an 1150.... ???? why is this board here?? with 1150 socket and 10GbE.

I probably would agree if you said that 6 10GbE will not be able to keep all connections at 6x10GbE full load the processor wouldn't keep up. My point is 10GbE is where we are going to network wise and these sound like a value.

Keep in mind my processors are 1265Lv3 35w and if I have a need for more duty that just routers it fits the need. In a multi tool pliers like Leatherman you often use 2-4 tools but having the others in a pinch is better than not having them. It fits me. I'm Well aware that PFSense and Sonicwall box's for years have been ran on things like 800 Mhz single/dual arms.

I have plenty of equipment at home to use this. I'm also bringing my work servers into home because one the business I bought them for is not taking off as fast as I would have liked, needs further development at home. I can have them run on my house where I can put solar and save money and close where I was keeping them saving money. I have about 10 X56xx intel systems that these board boxes are power savings candidates and about close to equivalent process power . Dual x56xx systems are far more base power than these. In the process of carving a room out in the garage to close off as a server room. Wife said if we can save money by putting it in the garage, build the room. Here's to 3,500 dollars to convert a portion of the 3 car garage.

I also have bench top CNC in my garage that my school is loaning me because of covid-19.

While for Just a router I would agree with you the board you selected is far more cost effective and for most at home more than enough to put routing duty across. I do understand where your coming from your just trying to save me money by not over buying something and not using the capabilities. Thanks for the heads up.

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
They run PFsense on atoms with less power at 10GbE... your statement doesn't make sense.
Also can't run at 10GbE this board has 6 of them on an 1150.... ???? why is this board here?? with 1150 socket and 10GbE.

I probably would agree if you said that 6 10GbE will not be able to keep all connections at 6x10GbE full load the processor wouldn't keep up. My point is 10GbE is where we are going to network wise and these sound like a value.
I stated that an Atom CPU can handle the kind of bandwidth that one would find in a residential setup. Do you have 10Gbit WAN? 1Gbit? It's probably considerably less since even 1Gbit is very uncommon in the US. I wish I had even 1Gbit at home...

As for all the NICs, saturating multiple 10GbE connections isn't difficult. Routing/IPS/etc on the other hand is. 1150 CPUs will struggle with that.
While for Just a router I would agree with you the board you selected is far more cost effective and for most at home more than enough to put routing duty across. I do understand where your coming from your just trying to save me money by not over buying something and not using the capabilities. Thanks for the heads up.
That was pretty much the goal. Have nothing against future proofing or interesting toys as I can't be one to talk with a stack of dual 100GbE NICs on my desk.

Medikherb

Jun 10, 2020
So weird thing, with this board I cannot get into the bios of my lsi2308 card, and the bios clock keeps automatically resetting. I set it for my time then it automatically adjusts ahead 4 hours.... going to try and replace the cmos battery and clear it obviously. as part of the problem I am also having is with proxmox. I cannot pass the lsi2308 to freenas or anything for that matter as proxmox reports no iommu. I have researched and tried everything i could find. I think part of my problem is firmware for my lsi2308 is 16 not 20 and possibly the clock issue.

If I should have posted this elsewhere I am sorry and feel free to move it.
Updated the FW to 20 and still IOMMU problem in proxmox.... till working on this. Has anyone tried the BIOS update provided by another poster? I want to try it but dont want to brick my board.

Medikherb

Jun 10, 2020
Mine came a few weeks ago and realized I couldn't boot from the NVME addon card - had the same problem with an X10DRI until I learnt how to mod the SMC bios.

Have included the modded 3.2 Bios from Bluefox. You will need to reset CMOS after install - did mine from a Rufus FreeDos USB.

As usual I accept no responsibility ... yada yada ... use at your own risk :D

has anyone tried this bios? I would like to.