1U Supermicro Server 6x 10GBE RJ45 X10SLH-LN6TF LGA 1150 H3 X10SLH-N6-ST031

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
thanks for explaining some of the delays and performance issues there would be.

If it were me and I needed a low-cost entry into 10Gbe networking I'd just buy one of these: MikroTik
thanks, i'm also really cheap. So the microtik costs more than the supermicro motherboard would (I have an 1150CPU and DDR3 laying around) plus I would need to buy transceivers.

Biggest problem might be the wife acceptance faster, she already wonders why I just finished building a home server tower out of a LGA 2011 platform, so having another box laying around (even micro atx) might send her over the edge.

Schut

Apr 13, 2020
You could make it functional in that role fairly easily. It would work.
Thank you as well for this reply - very helpful.

I've ordered one of these for an overkill home pfSense router. I currently have one of the fanless Celeron J1900s now, and it's totally fine except I'm expecting better OpenVPN performance from this. This would be my first 10GB device of any kind, so I was thinking of limping along running multiple LAN ports for a time, at least until I can establish if any of the 10-20 meter Cat5e runs in my house can be cajoled into supporting 10GB, or if I'll have to pull Cat6a.

Eventually I expect a MikroTik switch is in my future though.

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
Still seeing it listed for $155 for the server, but I'm now showing it with $45 shipping charge, so bear that in mind. Honestly, glad I got it before they added the shipping charge, but that's more than reasonable for shipping from Santa Clara to southern Maine for a 30+ pound 1U server. It's also why I wasn't overly upset with them taking a week to ship it, though I would hope shipping if you're paying for it would be a hair faster on the turnaround.

EDIT: Motherboard is still free shipping though and I don't believe price has changed.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Still seeing it listed for $155 for the server, but I'm now showing it with $45 shipping charge, so bear that in mind. Honestly, glad I got it before they added the shipping charge, but that's more than reasonable for shipping from Santa Clara to southern Maine for a 30+ pound 1U server. It's also why I wasn't overly upset with them taking a week to ship it, though I would hope shipping if you're paying for it would be a hair faster on the turnaround.
$45 looks to be a flat rate. They want the same $45 to send it to me 130 miles away as to you 3000+ miles away.

Schut

Apr 13, 2020
Wolfstar has yours shipped? Mine was ordered on the 14th for $155 with free shipping, but no tracking yet.

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
Wolfstar has yours shipped? Mine was ordered on the 14th for $155 with free shipping, but no tracking yet.
Yeah, mine shipped this past Wednesday (15th) and I ordered the prior Thursday afternoon (9th). I did message them Monday night about it since it was listed as a 3 business day handling time, and he replied Tuesday afternoon that they were shipping Wednesday. I think they're having issues getting things shipped out due to the current mess.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I noticed that I cannot clear the BIOS password after entering the posted passwd. Was anyone able to manage to get the password cleared? After I clear the password, MB reboots twice and sets back the original password.

I also noticed that the listing is wrong. There are no 1 GB ethernet port. There is one dedicated IPMI port. It seems like the other port is just a stub.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
I also noticed that the listing is wrong. There are no 1 GB ethernet port. There is one dedicated IPMI port. It seems like the other port is just a stub.
On some motherboards (example), IPMI is shared with a 1GB NIC. Install an OS and you'll presumably see it.

As for the other RJ45 connector, that's a serial port, not a NIC (which is why there are no LEDs).

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
On some motherboards (example), IPMI is shared with a 1GB NIC. Install an OS and you'll presumably see it.

As for the other RJ45 connector, that's a serial port, not a NIC (which is why there are no LEDs).
Oh nice! Yay for more RJ45 serial connectivity! Anyone know if it uses the standard Cisco pinout? If not, I'll check it when I get mine this afternoon.

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
Has anyone confirmed that the bios password works?
To directly and clearly answer, yes, the BIOS password obtained does in fact work - Sl@b10s! - and yes, I am unable to clear it as well. Other than that, arrived extremely well packed and I had managed to miss the fact that a rail kit was included so that made me quite happy. Looking forward to the Stock/Custom BIOS, but I can live with the password for now.

Now I gotta figure out what I'm actually going to do with it.

NYCone

Jun 23, 2017
To directly and clearly answer, yes, the BIOS password obtained does in fact work - Sl@b10s! - and yes, I am unable to clear it as well. Other than that, arrived extremely well packed and I had managed to miss the fact that a rail kit was included so that made me quite happy. Looking forward to the Stock/Custom BIOS, but I can live with the password for now.

I don't mean to sound repetitive, but can you make changes in BIOs other than the PW?

Bert

Mar 31, 2018

Can you share your thoughts here what to do with it? My naive thinking is putting ESXi to host PFSense as 10 GB router and a Windows VM for small file server. Yet I wonder if there are better open source switch solutions out there so I can use base as Windows for managed switch and host PFSense for firewall/openVPN.

Schut

Apr 13, 2020
Looks like the original listing for the $155 shipped server has been updated to brag that the BIOS has been updated and the password cleared. I'm hopeful my machine (which hasn't shipped yet) will get this treatment, and I've messaged the vendor to indicate I can wait a few days.

Price is now hiked again to $170 + $45 shipping.

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
Can you share your thoughts here what to do with it? My naive thinking is putting ESXi to host PFSense as 10 GB router and a Windows VM for small file server. Yet I wonder if there are better open source switch solutions out there so I can use base as Windows for managed switch and host PFSense for firewall/openVPN.
I'm really not sure right now. My early thinking is that it's more power than I want to devote to a router and my primary reason for buying was because honestly the case wasn't worth much less. My problem is a severe lack of 10GBaseT infrastructure - I've got a copper SFP+ on the way; right now its limited to gigabit - but I can work around that.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I'm really not sure right now. My early thinking is that it's more power than I want to devote to a router and my primary reason for buying was because honestly the case wasn't worth much less. My problem is a severe lack of 10GBaseT infrastructure - I've got a copper SFP+ on the way; right now its limited to gigabit - but I can work around that.
I don't mind the power usage because I want to dual purpose this as NAS and pfsense box.It can also work as a 10GB switch for my rack servers.

It seems like windows server has built in capabilities to work as a switch but I am not sure:

SDN with Windows Server 2016 » ADMIN Magazine

Btw, I completely get it I won't get agg speeds of 100Gbit/sec like a purpose build switch but I don't need that. 20Gb/s is probably the most I would need, even that is questionable since most of my data is on spindles.

Last edited:

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I don't mind the power usage because I want to dual purpose this as NAS and 10GB pfsense box.It can also work as a 10GB switch for my rack servers.

It seems like windows server has built in capabilities to work as a switch but I am not sure:

SDN with Windows Server 2016 » ADMIN Magazine

Btw, I completely get it I won't get agg speeds of 100Gbit/sec like a purpose build switch but I don't need that. 20Gb/s is probably the most I would need, even that is questionable since most of my data is on spindles.
Does a 10G PfSense box make sense?

crazydane

Apr 23, 2020
Sure it does. I have dual 1G WAN connections and will be using this box to load balance them and then have a 10G link to my core 10G switch. This way my 10G connected clients can enjoy 2000/2000 Internet speed (yes I realize not everything will properly load balance across both WAN connections).

I ordered mine last Friday and it is now Thursday and he hasn't shipped yet. I was under the impression that he ships on Wednesdays but I guess maybe he's busy clearing the BIOS passwords on all his remaining inventory before he starts shipping again?

EDIT
I just received the following response from Justin:
--- cut ---
Because of the COVID Situation, we had to limit how many staff can be present at work at a given time in our offices, this has delayed our production about 3-5 days additionally, we are trying out best to get the orders shipped out as soon as we can, once shipped we will issue the tracking number. we thank you for your patience, and hope you stay safe. If you have any other questions please let us know.

I am estimating we can ship this out Friday or early next week

--- cut ---

Last edited: