1U Supermicro Server 6x 10GBE RJ45 X10SLH-LN6TF LGA 1150 H3 X10SLH-N6-ST031

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
If you don't need many 10G ports, this may be a good 10G router + pfSense + utility computer (streaming/downloading/plex). Of course, there is also 1u noise factor.

CTO 1U Supermicro Server 6x 10GBE RJ45 X10SLH-LN6TF LGA 1150 H3 X10SLH-N6-ST031 | eBay

Comes with rails and trays!

Should I be concerned for being an IBM network appliance like BIOS being locked? Someone is selling the motherboard with a good discount but it is bios locked:

Supermicro Motherboard X10SLH-LN6TF LGA 1150 H3 X10SLH-N6-ST031 6x 10GBE | eBay

Last edited:

Navy_BOFH

Aug 2, 2013
I bought one to throw in a Supermicro 3U server that I am currently building out. So far I am having some quirks related to my CSE-M14 drive cage and SATA but everything else including a Supermicro SAS controller is looking good.
Supermicro X10SLH-LN6TF Motherboard w/ onboard 6x 10G 3x X540-T2 Nics &TPM &HSU | eBay

That link I can personally vouch for as a clean board with zero password issues. I did have to buy the I/O shield separately but it was worth it to not deal with either gutting another server or BIOS issues.

Reactions: Samir

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
Bjorn Smith was telling on another thread, we can get a tool from supermicro to reset BMC and flash BIOS. I am not sure how complex this work is. I wonder if this has been already discussed in STH forums.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Bjorn Smith was telling on another thread, we can get a tool from supermicro to reset BMC and flash BIOS. I am not sure how complex this work is. I wonder if this has been already discussed in STH forums.
You would need a copy of the BIOS, which is not available. These were custom hardware for Softlayer, so Supermicro won't provide any support.

Reactions: abq, Samir and Bert

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
It might be possible to save a copy of the existing bios (should hopefully be without any configuration in it) - and then just reflash the same bios again to overwrite all configuration data.

This tool might be able to do it:
Supermicro Update Manager (SUM) | Supermicro Server Management Utilities | Supermicro

And this command might be able to clear/reset the password:
Code:
# ./sum -i 192.168.34.56 -u ADMIN -p XXXXXX -c SetBiosPassword
--new_password 123456 --confirm_password 123456 –-reboot

Last edited:

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
Here we go, I am getting one! I will let you guys updated for updating the BIOS. Seller told me that I can still put an OS by putting an OS on a different machine and bringing it over to this one.

Last edited:

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Here we go, I am getting one! I will let you guys updated for updating the BIOS. Seller told me that I can still put an OS by putting an OS on the machine.
Good luck - let us know how it goes - its an awesome board for the price. Perfect for a firewall :)

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
I'm tempted to pick one up. Does it take REG ECC ram or ECC nonREG only?

Navy_BOFH

Aug 2, 2013
You would need a copy of the BIOS, which is not available. These were custom hardware for Softlayer, so Supermicro won't provide any support.
I am working on that with Supermicro support to see what is the latest versions and if I can get them available to us.

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
They won't give it to you. Even the eBay seller tried and posted on this forum for help regarding this: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...ro-bios-password-softlayer.23054/#post-227867
So, this is NOT the same board I'm talking about, but. I had an X8DT6-based board that was from a RELION storage server. When I reached out to Supermicro support, I was told that while they could not provide the OEM BIOS, there was no reason that the BIOS from the baseline motherboard shouldn't work. I used it for about 8 months before I retired it due to upgrading to newer hardware.

So, anyone willing to gamble on the BIOS and try installing an X10SLH-F BIOS on the board?

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
I'm tempted to pick one up. Does it take REG ECC ram or ECC nonREG only?
From page 2-14 of the manual:

The X10SLH-LN6TF supports up to 32GB of Unbuffered (UDIMM) DDR3 ECC
1600/1333 MHz (1.35V/1.5V) memory in four slots.

Updated: Manual here

Reactions: MarinaTRIO

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
How well could this act as a switch with multiple other hosts plugged into the 10GB ports? I don't expect it to route all 6x10gb at same time but any idea what it could do?

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I am working on that with Supermicro support to see what is the latest versions and if I can get them available to us.
If you already have BIOS from the motherboard without BIOS password, perhaps you can download the bios and share it with us so we can override the locked bios. Just throwing some idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: Navy_BOFH

Navy_BOFH

Aug 2, 2013
If you already have BIOS from the motherboard without BIOS password, perhaps you can download the bios and share it with us so we can override the locked bios. Just throwing some idea.
If you have a link to said procedure I can get right on it!

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
How well could this act as a switch with multiple other hosts plugged into the 10GB ports
Probably not very well - you have to remember that switches have ASICs in them that are built for switching - on a motherboard with multiple network ports you can build a switch, but every packet has to travel from the network card up to the CPU to get processed and back onto another port.
How many concurrent streams at what speed you could handle with a board like this, I have no idea.

Hell I might even be wrong and it would be an awesome switch :) But I doubt it.