1U server with space for 12 - 3.5" hard drives (+ 1- 2.5" hd) via eBay

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

burkesquires

May 26, 2020
This looks like a nice server especially if you are looking for a 1U server with lots of space.

(There is reportedly a problem with the 2 ethernet ports and FreeNAS.)

Server TypeChenbro NR12000 1U SERVER
Processor(s)(1) INTEL XEON QUAD CORE E3-1220 3.1GHz
Memory8GB
Hard Drive(s)NO ( HDD OR TRAY ) INCLUDED
Drive Bays12x 3.5+ 1x 2.5
Network Controller1x NIC PORT, 1x IPMI MANAGEMENT PORT
Optical DriveNOT INCLUDED
Power Supply(s)SINGLE POWER SUPPLY
Ports4x USB PORTS, 1x VGA PORT
Rail KitNOT INCLUDED
ConditionUSED, TEST BEFORE SHIP
Warranty30 DAYS WARRANTY

Reactions: Markess

unclerunkle

Mar 2, 2011
Wisconsin
This seems great for cheap colocation - just needs redundant PSUs. Not the worse thing with just one though

EDIT: After watching the video, no rails and not finding any could be an issue.

Last edited:

josh

Oct 21, 2013
But why? You'll have to power down the entire machine each time you want to switch a drive out.

unclerunkle

Mar 2, 2011
Wisconsin
Well, for colocation, 1U is cheaper to host than 4U. For a home lab, I'd definitely go 4U unless you are really short on rack space.

pinkanese

Jun 19, 2014
Looks like a precious generation of the Quanta 1U's that came up recently

My biggest concern would be depth, I asked and the seller says its 32.5" deep

Looks like a standard ATX board. I wonder what the built in HBA is. Looks like there is an extra sata port so you could do mirrored boot drives, providing there is space.

Overall a pretty tempting little box, but I expect it's too long and noisy for my small rack.

Last edited:

JDMWAAAT

Owner, serverbuilds.net
Aug 15, 2016
forums.serverbuilds.net
I have been recommending this for quite some time now, over a year.

Generally I tell people to remove it from the case, as it's not super worth using IMO.

Reactions: abq

Jaket

Jan 4, 2017
Seattle, New York
purevoltage.com
The issue to watch out for some of these systems is they are deeper than most standard racks. Not sure in regards to these ones exactly however best to find out first.

We have a large amount of the Quanta ones which support 12x 3.5 or 2.5 drives in a large pull out track style thing. + 4 2.4 in the front and 2x 2.5 in the back. They are great systems however have to go right at the very bottom or very top of the rack if you are in normal sized racks otherwise they will hit the PDU's.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I bought one of these a few months back. Lots of discussion on the serverbuilds.net forums as posted by @JDMWAAAT above. A few observations:

1. Its loud (its 1 U go figure ;))
2. The fans are 2 per 6 Pin header. The 6 pin headers are a different pitch than a standard header, but there's 4 pin headers as well for folks that want to replace the fans. Anything other than the stock fans triggers the BMC alarm (which I have disabled on mine).
3. Its deep, as already mentioned, but not as deep as the Quantas. I've got mine in my Ikea "Lack Rack" with a few inches sticking out the front, and it still protrudes from the back longer than everything else.
4. I used these grommets to mount my drives: Amazon.com: 100 Count of Rubber Grommets 1/8" Inside Diameter- Fits 1/4" Diameter Holes: Home Improvement .
5. I bought from the same seller listed in the OP from a "no RAM or CPU" listing, but got a CPU and 16GB of RAM in mine. YMMV of course.
6. The motherboard in these is a Tyan S5512WGM2NR (TYAN® Computer - Motherboards S5512 S5512WGM2NR)
7. I believe these are Hyve Cygnus models and have a custom BIOS, which I re-flashed to the Tyan BIOS without issue.

Edit: The Ebay listing for these says "1x NIC PORT, 1x IPMI MANAGEMENT PORT", but there's actually 2 NIC (intel 82574L) and one management NIC, in case anyone needs dual NICs.

Last edited:
Reactions: burkesquires

hatchi

Nov 8, 2014
does anyone know if you can have 12x SAS drives in it ?
because there is Supermicro server similar to this but their disk config is fixed as 8X SAS or SATA and 4X SATA only

(no expander the disks are connected to HBA directly)

this prevent you from getting 12 disks of the same type except if all are SATA

if we can do 12x SAS it will be good for ceph to have several nodes that does not use the full rack

mayli

May 18, 2019
I get this system few days ago, but having trouble starting the ipmi console redirection. Is this feature working for anyone?

The default jnlp is broken and I am using this script as workaround, but it always stuck at

1607906816633.png

Last edited:

mayli

May 18, 2019
Yeah, I notice the fan speed won't change when running TrueNAS, the CPU could easily overheat on stress test, while the fan is still at 4k RPM. While fans are working properly under both windows and Linux.

7. I believe these are Hyve Cygnus models and have a custom BIOS, which I re-flashed to the Tyan BIOS without issue.
I did the same but the firmware from TYAN website has build time at 2013 instead of the custom BIOS with

Code:
Firmware Revision : S5512 R3.15
AuxFirmwareRevision : 7171585
Build Time : Jul 28 2014 15:42:45
I am not sure if the R3.15 BMC firmware has more bug fixes or more bugs.

Last edited:

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I did the same but the firmware from TYAN website has build time at 2013 instead of the custom BIOS with
Mine came with firmware only a couple months newer than Tyan's from 2013. So I tried Tyan's in hopes that it wouldn't trigger the BMC alarm with 4 pin PWM fans installed. It didn't work, so I had to silence the alarm anyway. I understand some shipped with firmware as new as 2018 though.

I get this system few days ago, but having trouble starting the ipmi console redirection. Is this feature working for anyone?

The default jnlp is broken and I am using this script as workaround, but it always stuck at...
That script is a nice find! Unless you wrote it, in which case, great job!

I'm not using remote console on mine, but I had a similar problem last year with a different motherboard purchase of the same generation that wasn't booting & had no video. I found a post elsewhere speculating the issue was a Java version mismatch, and recommended trying an appropriately old version of Firefox Portable on a USB flash drive as a quick and dirty solution. Firefox Portable Version 12 was the right "age" for Socket 1155, and worked for me....long enough to determine that the board was DOA! :D

Last edited:

mayli

May 18, 2019
Mine came with firmware only a couple months newer than Tyan's from 2013. So I tried Tyan's in hopes that it wouldn't trigger the BMC alarm with 4 pin PWM fans installed. It didn't, so I had to silence the alarm anyway. I understand some shipped with firmware as new as 2018 though.

That script is a nice find! Unless you wrote it, in which case, great job!

I'm not using remote console on mine, but I had a similar problem last year with a different motherboard purchase of the same generation that wasn't booting & had no video. I found a post elsewhere speculating the issue was a Java version mismatch, and recommended trying an appropriately old version of Firefox Portable on a USB flash drive as a quick and dirty solution. Firefox Portable Version 12 was the right "age" for Socket 1155, and worked for me....long enough to determine that the board was DOA! :D
Yeah, I've tried multiple java version including java 7 and java 11.
Both ends up with the "auth error", which seems to be a bug in the firmware itself.
1607974628879.png
Do you still have those boards around? Can you help me verify the console redirection is actually working, otherwise I would just give up since I've been debugging this issue for a week and without modding the FW, there pretty much won't be any progress :(.

Btw, I've tested the Firefox 12, and firmware returned the same malformed jnlp, that's why I am using that script to launch the jnlp.

XML:
    <application-desc>
        <argument>192.168.0.112</argument>
        <argument>7578</argument>
        <argument>uAB2jZBCtwqcSs5W<argument>ZkyHHP7jsrwlGYRcBd7PYuWPCW2w0G1C000</argument>
</argument>
    </application-desc>
update:

It seems finally working, I had to use a really old JDK (jdk1.6.0_45).
$ ~/jdk1.6.0_45/bin/java -jar JViewer.jar $IP 7578 $TOKEN $COOKIE

1607977924722.png

And yes, of course, it's not supported.

1607978005854.png

The console redirection is pretty much limited to "Viewer", it doesn't even have power control. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Markess

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Do you still have those boards around? Can you help me verify the console redirection is actually working, otherwise I would just give up since I've been debugging this issue for a week and without modding the FW, there pretty much won't be any progress :(.
I see that you got it to work...sort of. I was just coming back to the thread to say that I gave it a try with mine and got the same "Invalid Session Token" error as you.