1U server with space for 12 - 3.5" hard drives (+ 1- 2.5" hd) via eBay

semidetached

Sep 18, 2018
I'd be interested in these. Do you also have the backplane from the server for the SSD?
There isn't a backplane in the server. It is just a collection of cables spread out to reach each drive position. I do have all the wiring if you need it.

Reactions: Samir

Arvid

Jun 15, 2021
This seems great for cheap colocation - just needs redundant PSUs. Not the worse thing with just one though

EDIT: After watching the video, no rails and not finding any could be an issue.

M1ha

Aug 29, 2021
Hi all, does anybody know whether I can put 12 x 18TB drives here (sata). Is there any size limit per drive?

sts950

Sep 3, 2021
I just purchased one of these servers a week or so ago and have problems if i connect 8tb drives to the non-lsi ports on the board. The system will boot fine with a 120gb (os) drive connected to sata0 but as soon as connecting an 8tb to sata1-4 the system displays post but will not get past it - also wont allow me to enter bios (hangs saying entering bios). Currently running v9b14 (2018) bios. Anyone have any ideas about this? Reached out to tyan but they say its eol... Should i try and flash back to the 2013 bios on their support page? Just worried what ill loose if i go back and i am unable to file the version that's currently flashed anywhere.

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
I just purchased one of these servers a week or so ago and have problems if i connect 8tb drives to the non-lsi ports on the board. The system will boot fine with a 120gb (os) drive connected to sata0 but as soon as connecting an 8tb to sata1-4 the system displays post but will not get past it - also wont allow me to enter bios (hangs saying entering bios). Currently running v9b14 (2018) bios. Anyone have any ideas about this? Reached out to tyan but they say its eol... Should i try and flash back to the 2013 bios on their support page? Just worried what ill loose if i go back and i am unable to file the version that's currently flashed anywhere.
Hi sts950, how do you find the noise level? Is it very loud? I am planning to build a NAS server with this in my homelab. Thanks!

sts950

Sep 3, 2021
It isn't very loud at all(although i wouldn't put it in a bedroom that your sleeping in unless you like a little background white noise). The room that it was in (basement) was around 74f and the fans would start to spin up around 75 or 76f (room temp). Im replacing it with a r720xd and the dell is quite a bit louder.

Edit: if anyone in Maryland is looking for one of these let me know.. Trying to sell the one i bought - comes with all mounting screws /grommets for drive mounting... E3-1230v2, 8gb ram