1U Server With 12 x LFF 3.5" & 4 x 2.5" Drive bays - Sweet deal for smaller footprint homelab

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Yes there are some real gems out there. A good chunk we buy directly from outside of ebay even after having good business workings. Nice to save some extra money and everything as well!
Sucks some of the bad companies out there. I know we have bought a few 15.36tb nvme's from aa really new ebay which was risky but worked out for us. Sometimes it's sketchy.
I had an experience with a non eBay seller once, a well known company, that blew me away. I ordered 3 dozen items and half of them were missing. I contacted the company and they tried to say I was lying. Really pissed me off. After going back and forth the owner can back and said he gathered all the items together and weighed them and sure enough they weighed twice as much as the box they sent me. He sent me the missing items but acted like he was doing me a favor. Last time I ever did business with them. I know it can go both ways, Amazon is full of negative reviews that are clearly from idiot buyers who are clueless.Caveat emptor always.

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
As a ebay seller im so glad this is not actualy true.
If anything ebay has gotten far better at not siding with buyers on stupid claims.

But id agree with you on ebay being like that 5-10 years ago, they used to side with buyer on anything pretty much.
Now they actualy shift the burden of proof onto buyer if listing does not have open returns.
I still hear a lot of nightmares from sellers, and moreso than normal and people completely moving off ebay. I guess as usual--it still depends on the buyer/seller.

Yarik Dot

Apr 13, 2015
As a company buyer I also have issues with some sellers. Last time I wasn't able to get VAT refund and proper VAT invoice from Germany seller. The transaction was B2B within EU, outside Germany. Ebay support was useless.

So I gave them negative feedback, which also isn't displaying on ebay. **** ebay for this.

ano

Nov 7, 2022
As a company buyer I also have issues with some sellers. Last time I wasn't able to get VAT refund and proper VAT invoice from Germany seller. The transaction was B2B within EU, outside Germany. Ebay support was useless.

So I gave them negative feedback, which also isn't displaying on ebay. **** ebay for this.
this!!!! I'm outside EU, in europe, makes it even more fun.

Reactions: Yarik Dot and Samir

josh

Oct 21, 2013
Yes there are some real gems out there. A good chunk we buy directly from outside of ebay even after having good business workings. Nice to save some extra money and everything as well!
Sucks some of the bad companies out there. I know we have bought a few 15.36tb nvme's from aa really new ebay which was risky but worked out for us. Sometimes it's sketchy.
Just out of curiousity, how many organs do I need to sell for a 15.36TB NVMe?

On topic, is this better than a R730XD? Do I need a HBA to run ZFS?

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
this!!!! I'm outside EU, in europe, makes it even more fun.
Just put ebays Norwegian customs id " VOEC 2024926 " behind your street address on ebay shipping address.
DHL/FedEX/UPS etc check address 2 field for it if not declared correctly in customs part of paperwork.

If they still bill you VAT they will cancel the bill without further questions when they see it was put in address.
The Norwegian import system is such a fail, having that in address automaticly means ebay collected VAT and there is nowhere for them to verify it for each shipment.

For sellers in countries with VAT added i generaly do a offer 30% below asking with "ex.vat. export" as comment.
If offer not enabled i ask them to make me a listing without VAT.

(Company account and ebay disable VAT if you contact them and provide company info)

Last edited:

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
I still hear a lot of nightmares from sellers, and moreso than normal and people completely moving off ebay. I guess as usual--it still depends on the buyer/seller.
People move off ebay due to fees keep going up and getting horrible selling limits if not having a company or old account.

If you list no returns ebay will not make you accept a return unless its missing/broken/defective, and for last 2 they want pictures/video as proof.

Dec 19, 2020
On topic, is this better than a R730XD? Do I need a HBA to run ZFS?
If you're talking about the R730XD with the 3.5" bays, this has twice the storage density (12 drives in 1U vs 12 drives in 2U). It comes with an LSI 3008 HBA, which is perfect for ZFS (I'm using the same one).

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
People move off ebay due to fees keep going up and getting horrible selling limits if not having a company or old account.

If you list no returns ebay will not make you accept a return unless its missing/broken/defective, and for last 2 they want pictures/video as proof.
Yep, the fees are one thing, but I've noticed individual sellers telling their story about something perfect bnib no returns being returned opened with the seller making up some sort of lie and the seller having to eat it. Then they're selling outside of ebay with the details of what happened and are done with ebay since this is the X time it's happened. Lots of different individuals from different places. I'm sure it's again a metric so some sort of percentage of the total, but it's a thing apparently too.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
If you're talking about the R730XD with the 3.5" bays, this has twice the storage density (12 drives in 1U vs 12 drives in 2U). It comes with an LSI 3008 HBA, which is perfect for ZFS (I'm using the same one).
To keep the density you would want a double front unit i suppose, there is a somewhat gadget factor on pulling out the front set and having another row of drives :D

Ive been eyeing the apollo 4200 ones from HP, but they are still 600-800$ area for a CTO gen9/gen10 (gen10 even has a extra 4bays).
1670269002155.png1670269291578.png

ano

Nov 7, 2022
we have a few of the 2U 24x 3.5 supermicros, sadly... x11 stuff.. surprisingly silent. but $$, was running out of space though so had to do someting.

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
Just put ebays Norwegian customs id " VOEC 2024926 " behind your street address on ebay shipping address.
DHL/FedEX/UPS etc check address 2 field for it if not declared correctly in customs part of paperwork.

If they still bill you VAT they will cancel the bill without further questions when they see it was put in address.
The Norwegian import system is such a fail, having that in address automaticly means ebay collected VAT and there is nowhere for them to verify it for each shipment.

For sellers in countries with VAT added i generaly do a offer 30% below asking with "ex.vat. export" as comment.
If offer not enabled i ask them to make me a listing without VAT.

(Company account and ebay disable VAT if you contact them and provide company info)
Thank you, I will try this

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
From where do you get this price?
They pop up at those prices fairly regular on ebay, i got most of apollo series as searches hoping for cheap epyc nodes.

The best apollo deal atm is probably these n2600 gen10 plus 2u 4node chassis (Shared iLO, shared psus/fans and 24x hotswap front divided between nodes).
But need to also hunt down cheap XL225n nodes like these at a ok price, they use gen2+3 epyc.

(They are still produced/sold with chassis at 2900$ and nodes at 3100$ each as CTO.)

Reactions: Bert and ano

josh

Oct 21, 2013
It's much longer though right?

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
It's much longer though right?
Yes its deeper and id expect rails/parts to cost more if needing.

Id consider the cisco c240 m4 tho if going for a 12bay, its r730xd equivalent but tends to be a bit cheaper.
Paid 160 per for CTO units (no cpu/ram/storage) as my current hosts, the sas3 hba + dual sfp+ cards are 15-20$ area (and esxi8 supported if that matters).

Reactions: Fritz

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
They pop up at those prices fairly regular on ebay, i got most of apollo series as searches hoping for cheap epyc nodes.

The best apollo deal atm is probably these n2600 gen10 plus 2u 4node chassis (Shared iLO, shared psus/fans and 24x hotswap front divided between nodes).
But need to also hunt down cheap XL225n nodes like these at a ok price, they use gen2+3 epyc.

(They are still produced/sold with chassis at 2900$ and nodes at 3100$ each as CTO.)
HP servers are confusing me.It seems like their configuration changes a lot and more proprietary connections. As a hobbyist, I will stick to SuperMicro servers. SC826SE1C-R1K02JBOD | 2U | Chassis | Products | Supermicro looks like a good alternative.

It seems like this form factor is better over 1U based solution as it gives easier access (need to pull the chassis halfway out as opposed to full drawer pull) and more applicable for file/storage server scenarios.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
HP servers are confusing me.It seems like their configuration changes a lot and more proprietary connections.
i cant say im aware of a single one tbh

The most commonly mentioned is the breakout plug they use on blades/nodes for console, but that it used by a few brands.
My cisco boxes has the same connector for breakout on a front ear, i prefer having it as one connector vs multiple when switching between hosts.
1670348058567.png

Last edited: