1U Server Buyer Guide

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Saw this one at Tom's. Holy *!$% batman. Page 1 barely talks about 1U and first picture has an 8U. He lists Xeon 3400 series as current generation 1U. Cites power savings using Xeon X5320. It's like someone got paid to use an article spinner to write junk.

Suggestion - kick some you know what and do your own.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Saw this one at Tom's. Holy *!$% batman. Page 1 barely talks about 1U and first picture has an 8U. He lists Xeon 3400 series as current generation 1U. Cites power savings using Xeon X5320. It's like someone got paid to use an article spinner to write junk.

Suggestion - kick some you know what and do your own.
Heh, I really want to do a piece on building the next-generation STH servers. Some of that article does seem a little bit misaligned.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
So the big thing is that I want the forums to run MUCH faster. The big question is whether I do one 1U or 2U box for everything, or rent out 1/4 rack and colo a few boxes there. AWS costs now exceed a single 2U/ 2A colo with 10mbps and that is without the forums. I do like having the forums on a different server though.

sboesch

Aug 3, 2012
Columbus, OH
I am an Admin @ www.mustangcollective.com. The Mustang forums and my website are the only things running on the server. It runs on a 2.4 ghz core2duo with 4gigs of RAM on a single 250 GB 7200 RPM disk. Most of the speed issues we saw after first setting up vBulletin was performance problems with the forums. I ended up tweaking the php.ini, mysql.ini and apache conf files to get everything zippy. The site has been up since 2006 and it's running vBulletin 3.8.7.
What about having the forums on a VPS?
PM me if you want to test your site on the above box to weed out any cloud or LAMP issues, getting the DB and site un-tarballed and loaded should only take a matter of minutes.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Very cool! The forums run on a small VPS. My thought is basically if I colo a box just run VM's with STH and another VM with the forums. The bad thing there is single point of failure.