1U KVM console internal Keyboard cable.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Hi,

I have a 1U Belkin Omniview Enterprise (F1DC108C) 1U rackmount KVM console and am trying to get some parts for it. The unit is old and out of warranty.

I have found the internal keyboard cable has sheered through so I am trying to get a replacement. The cable has a small internal white connector at one end and a usb plug at the other (for connection to the KVM part of the console). The USB plug is branded Microsoft. I am wondering if anyone has take any microsoft keyboards apart and happened to notice the cable to the computer used a small plug inside the keyboard rather than was hard wired.

Unfortunately Belkin support have been no help at all.

I will try to take pics later tonight to give a better idea.

The keyboard end plug looks the same as used in the C6100 extra USB mod.

Thanks
RB

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Seems we're in the same boat. I have the 16 port version, but similar. It was having issues doing the double scroll lock selection for a while, now the keyboard is non responsive at all. Video still works. I'll be very interested in whatever solution you find, as it is/was a decent unit.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
I have one fully working and this is the second. Both from the same supplier but this second unit has a number of issues, most I could fix.

I would imagine, at worst I can make a new cable for the keyboard. I have the plug going in to the keywoard and I presume the plug for the KVM internal USB socket is standard. It is just getting the parts for a single cable that is a pain.

Have you taken yours apart and checked the cables ?. The unit at the back just has the circuit board and a standard set of PS2 / USB connectors the keyboard and mouse leads plug in to plus a power supply. The unit is fairly easy to take apart but getting the side rails back together with the monitor weight and the ungainly size can be a real PITA.

My first one came in bits with no instructions to rebuild. It was a challange and I still had two bits of metal without any screw holes left over :confused:...

Will put some pics up later.

RB

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Sorry guys, will try to get round to it tonight.

Ended up building my new array with the 10x 146GB 15k SAS drives. One was faulty but at only around US25 inc shipping to Singapore it is cheaper to throw. RaidZ2 9 drive array.

Will get some pics done tonight :)

On the subject of replacement parts I have contacted the local distributor to see if I can get a contact at Belkin. I strongly suspect it will be getting the right person at the right time which is usually pretty tricky. We will see what happens.

The console is the same one as is pictured in my "upgrading the rack" thread.

RB

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Finally some pics.

The unit flat out

With Monitor up

KVM rear section exposed (red box is the connector block for the console touchpad PS2, monitor vga and keyboard USB).

Cable arms, cables and monitor VGA to VGA extention cable.

Keyboard taken out (top red box is the keyboard USB connector, bottom red box it the rest of the keyboard USB cable sheared off).

I will try to get a better pic of the keyboard connector later.

RB

Last edited:

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Guess I'm taking mine apart tonight then :) Will see if it's the same place. Should be able to use any old USB keyboard and verify that the KVM itself is still functioning as well.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
I ended up soldering the cable back together again over the weeknd. The second half (with the microsoft USB plug) was not part of the original cable. The wires inside were copper where as the cable attached to the keyboard were sliver.

I took an old logitech keyboard apart and snipped the cable and then just soldered and taped each wire. Will see if it works when I get a chance.

Anyone know what screws are needed for the rack mount brackets. They are short, large headed and slightly bigger than 3.5" hard drive mounting screws (much to my dismay). Any idea where I can get some more or some compatible mounting brackets ?.

Thanks
RB