1U Heatsink for AM4 and X470D4U?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Lyphiard

Oct 17, 2015
I was thinking about the 3800X but that is a 105TDP which seems to exceed both the above mentioned OEM heatsink and the A18.
I wonder if adding some high speed 40mm Fans would help a bit however I would like to avoid any thermal throttling.
No amount of fans will help, the A18 is just way too small.

You should definitely go for the L3, but if that isn't an option, you can try mounting a non-AM4 cooler like I did.

Reactions: VMman

VMman

Jun 26, 2013
Since I don't have the X470D4U motherboard yet I noticed that Asrock as released an updated version based on the X570 chipset. It appears that they have spaced the socket further from the RAM since this was a problem area on the X470. If they are still using a glued backplate then this will still cause some headaches to fit aftermarket heatsinks right?

Reactions: tracehopper

Lyphiard

Oct 17, 2015
Since I don't have the X470D4U motherboard yet I noticed that Asrock as released an updated version based on the X570 chipset. It appears that they have spaced the socket further from the RAM since this was a problem area on the X470. If they are still using a glued backplate then this will still cause some headaches to fit aftermarket heatsinks right?
I don't know if they're planning on doing a glued backplate, but I think a big problem is that most aftermarket AM4 heatsinks will have their fins facing the wrong direction (i.e. the Noctua NH-L9a-AM4). Instead of parallel to the RAM slots, their fins will face perpendicular. So even if you had enough room, the airflow wouldn't be great in a 1U chassis.

The release dates for the X570 boards are still over a month away too.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
I do have the X470D4U and, with most Noctua's at least, you can orient the fins/fans in either direction to make up for the socket rotation due to the way their mounting mechanism works. Granted, I'm using a rev of the board that didn't come with a glued backplate (just regular adhesive).

In the case of the NH-L9x65 SE-AM4 I was using, this didn't leave enough space for the first (actually second) DIMM slot to be used: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...yzen-am4-server-motherboard.23638/post-233613
From the extra spacing the X570 model shouldn't have this problem.

Nice find on the ASRR heatsink nago - I'd be very surprised if it was only rated for 65W CPUs even if there's fans blowing on it and the spec stipulates that's its passive limit; indeed, I don't think you could fit a bigger heatsink inside a 1U server. I'm reasonably sure it'd be able to support beefier CPUs as long as there was good directed airflow over it. ASRR themselves support using the 1U4LW-X470 with a 3950X in it, as you can see from the picture that's with five 40mm fans and a shroud.

lvx4

Jun 13, 2020
I don't suppose anyone has figured out a better solution to the AM4 1U cooling problem?

I found this: US $31.8 |New high quality 1U AM4 cpu cooler server heatsink with high volume 8015 fan for AMD Ryzen TDP up to125W,With backplane|Fans & Cooling| - AliExpress
which looks almost just like the Dynatron A18, except with a (supposedly) much more powerful fan. "43" CFM vs 14.3 CFM.

And there's the new Gelid cooler; SLIM SILENCE AM4
which looks quite good for an active cooler, except for the terribly weak (65 mm/2600 RPM) fan. I guess it wouldn't be too hard to source a stronger fan though.

Personally, I'm probably going to go with one of the 40mm AIOs available, especially since I can't justify the additional cost for an Asrock Rack board and thus can't use passive cooling.

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
I'll be honest, I gave up on it and just stuck the X470D4U in a 3U chassis with the 3U cooler. If you're not using a server-layout board, then yeah something like a 40mm AIO (or the Dynatron) is likely the only option you've got for 1U.

Zalouma

Aug 5, 2020
Hi

I was able to fit this motherboard in 1U no problem, using all 4 DIMM (128GB RAM) with DYNATRON A18 and running great. I did test the stock fan, Gelid Slim silence AM4 (had to wait for it from china) and Honestly the Dynatron A18 perform better and as good as the stock Fan

Sent you picture of both

The two issue you will come across, First is the i/o shield you will just have to cut it to fit to the 1U standard size... This is running inside Supermicro CSE-113MTQ I got off ebay with PSU and rails was around $90, second issue would be the front panel header, i used jumpers cables to get this sorted

For the riser, i used this one which fit perfect on this setup

Last edited:
Reactions: dontwanna

anthr76

Sep 1, 2020
Thanks for all the great information in here! I just got a X470DU and plan on building a cluster + nas with these builds all hopefully 1U. Based on all your guys research it looks like im going to try DYNATRON A18. Since I plan on sticking Ryzen 3(hopefully GE 35W) models I don't worry too much it'll be too loud. we shall see.

netswitch

Sep 24, 2018
A bit late to the party here but we also built 1U servers with X470D4U and after much testing / cpuburning we have settled for the Dynatron L3 watercooling.
We use it with Ryzen 3950X and no fan based system could cope with the speed at which it heats up.
Now with the L3's, even under heavy mysql load it stays (relatively) cool and stable.

Routing of the pipes in the server and fixation of the heatsink is not very cute but once the case is closed, the performance you get out of the box makes you forget its ugly entrails.

You also need a regular fan to blow at the chipset and eventual 10G card if you put one.

DYNATRON A18 was also not that bad but can not cope with 3950X and is nearly not enough for a 3900X under heavy load.

Reactions: Zalouma

Zalouma

Aug 5, 2020
A bit late to the party here but we also built 1U servers with X470D4U and after much testing / cpuburning we have settled for the Dynatron L3 watercooling.
We use it with Ryzen 3950X and no fan based system could cope with the speed at which it heats up.
Now with the L3's, even under heavy mysql load it stays (relatively) cool and stable.

Routing of the pipes in the server and fixation of the heatsink is not very cute but once the case is closed, the performance you get out of the box makes you forget its ugly entrails.

You also need a regular fan to blow at the chipset and eventual 10G card if you put one.

DYNATRON A18 was also not that bad but can not cope with 3950X and is nearly not enough for a 3900X under heavy load.
Mind sharing a pic of the setup?

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
Dynatron has a new cooler: The A37. Finally!

Dealing with ASRock to get the right 105W AM4 cooler (because they also have a 65W variant and don't know their own products) was a pain in the ass...

netswitch

Sep 24, 2018
Interesting, if anyone has a chance to test this on a 3900 / 3950 / 5900 / 5950, I am curions about the results :)

Gio

Apr 8, 2017
I am building a 1U X470D4U based system, which active 1U heatsink do you all recommend? Dynatron 18 is not great according to reviews.

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
For an Active 1U traditional cooler, you have really one option, and that's the A18. Anything else is going to be jury-rigged. Alternately you can go with the Dynatron L3 watercooler system.

That said, with the Dynatron A37 out now and a standard 1U chassis with fan setup, I would be a bit shocked if you needed an active solution.

The handicap here is the space around the socket - you barely have enough room for the socket width, any of the larger area coolers that might be low enough to fit will hit the RAM sticks in a 1U server.

lvx4

Jun 13, 2020
I just swapped to a Dynatron A37 + X470D4U setup in a Supermicro 1U chassis with 20k RPM counterrotators (0141L4)
pointed at it , and I figured I might as well post an update.

This setup seems good for ~120W @ 95C on a 3900X. Was hoping for a little bit more performance out of it, but alas. In comparison, a 3x40mm AIO with the same fans pointed at it was good for ~140W.