1U dual-slot GPU build advice needed

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bradford

May 27, 2016
I have about 3 weeks to put together a system for an upcoming project. The requirements are a 15,000 passmark CPU, a single RTX 2070 or higher GPU, and NVMe drive. I may eventually colo this after about a year, so I'm looking at 1U enclosures since it will be cheaper in the long run.

I came across this chassis for $200: Supermicro 1U CSE-818 X9SRG-F Rev1.02 LGA 2011 Barebones GPU Server w/ 1400w PSU
There's not a CPU I can find that is compatible with that X9 motherboard that will get me above 15k passmark. This X10 motherboard is $190 used and a v3 e5 CPU can get me there.

I do have about a year before I will be considering colocation, but if this will work then I might as well build it once.

Are there any better options for cheaply building a 1U GPU system with these specs? Anything I should be worried about?

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
Anything I should be worried about?
Heat!
Unless you have some custom cooling solution planned out ...
I don't think you can get good airflow around a dual slot
GPU card in a 1u chassis.

2u opens your options ..but as you stated ... 1u is cheaper to physically host.

Please post up if you do come up with a 1u dual slot GPU solution.

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
Heat!
Unless you have some custom cooling solution planned out ...
I don't think you can get good airflow around a dual slot
GPU card in a 1u chassis.

2u opens your options ..but as you stated ... 1u is cheaper to physically host.

Please post up if you do come up with a 1u dual slot GPU solution.
Sure you can...you just choose a founders/blower type card and it's easy as the airflow is all going front to back :D

Reactions: Aestr

Bradford

May 27, 2016
I'm now realizing this might be the wrong forum for this, it should probably go in "Chassis and Enclosures". Can a mod move this?

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
1RU can be done, single card only really as you won't get and SLI/Crossfire bridges to work. Power supply will be next limit and getting juice to the card as most servers off the shelf just don't have enough for big desktop cards.
Cooling, full length, double width cards will work but the chassis will need to have the full banshee fan config to push airflow.

P.S: This is the correct forum, its a custom WS build.

Bradford

May 27, 2016
1RU can be done, single card only really as you won't get and SLI/Crossfire bridges to work. Power supply will be next limit and getting juice to the card as most servers off the shelf just don't have enough for big desktop cards.
Cooling, full length, double width cards will work but the chassis will need to have the full banshee fan config to push airflow.

P.S: This is the correct forum, its a custom WS build.
The case I linked in the op should do fine - it appears to have the power connectors necessary and can take a 11" and 12" card on each side respectively. I am limited to the card type - as long as the radiator fins go horizontally and not vertically and the fans/shroud can come off I should be fine. Pictures here show it having some blower fan cards in it with the shrouds removed.

I didn't think of noise being a concern since it will eventually be colocated, but I would use it in my home for a year. Those little fans are probably pretty loud.

I wouldn't mind an older dell or HP 1U GPU chassis but I can't find much info on what is available. Hope someone here has some experience in this pretty niche application.

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
The case you linked with that board appears aimed at your needs and is not that old. Remember, GPU loads in servers still not hugely supported until recently. Yes, that is a pair of GPU 8-pin supply headers on the board.

Navy_BOFH

Aug 2, 2013
Does it need to be an RTX2070 or better?

Why not a Quadro P2200 or Quadro RTX4000? Those are single slot GPUs which means you won't be cramming the GPU into a very limited space. They're also perfect for transcoding and other work loads that aren't straight-up gaming.