1U, 2x E5 V1/V2, SAS1, 10x SFF - WIWYNN LYRA-M SV315 ~$100 w/free shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Edit:. See the thread replies below. There are many deals for this server.

I think this is a decent deal for someone looking for 10x 2.5" SAS1 chassis, dual E5 V1/V2 CPUs, dual PSUs, and lots of ram, especially when compared to the Hyve servers.

I cannot vouch for the server itself. Maybe other community members can talk about the motherboard, upgrades, issues, etc.

I've bought several items from this vendor and can vouch that they make things right. Though, their "Make an Offer" on almost everything really means they just give $5 off and don't really deal - and they charge far too much for CPUs. Memory on the other hand is dirt cheap through them, for 1333mhz ram. I got a bunch for our Hyve servers.

The eBay listings seem to expire and new ones created, so it's best to search for the server:

Last edited:

aij

May 7, 2017
For the record (since sellers often change their prices, and to save folks a click) it's currently $108 with free shipping, and includes 2x E5-2630v2 CPUs.

No idea where to get the HDD trays, though I imagine they must be easier to search for than GIGABYTE branded ones -- which is what I currently need...

Reactions: Samir

Megamax667

Apr 3, 2019
If folks are interested, they should take a look at the seller's page and search for WIWYNN. They have several configurations attaw.

This one seems to be barebones (no cpu):
- WIWYNN LYRA-M SV315 10SFF BAREBONE CHASSIS LGA2011 DA0S6GMB8C1 INTEL S2600G | eBay

And this one for not much more may come with all the drive caddies. Pictures are the same, but I'm basing it on the name. Might want to ask the seller directly.
- WIWYNN LYRA-M SV315 10SFF BAREBONE CHASSIS 2x HS 1x PSU 10x TRAY RAIL | eBay

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
If folks are interested, they should take a look at the seller's page and search for WIWYNN. They have several configurations attaw.

- WIWYNN LYRA-M SV315 10SFF BAREBONE CHASSIS LGA2011 DA0S6GMB8C1 INTEL S2600G | eBay

And this one for not much more may come with all the drive caddies. Pictures are the same, but I'm basing it on the name. Might want to ask the seller directly.
Wow that second one lists the trays, for about the same price? And same seller?

Yeah, do your homework guys... Seems other configs are available.

Edited the original post to say scroll down.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO

And you can also find the caddies for $10/ea directly on their own site. I bet if you went direct you could also negotiate even less than the listed price as they have a barebone listed here for $84:

Shalita

Jan 17, 2022
For the record (since sellers often change their prices, and to save folks a click) it's currently $108 with free shipping, and includes 2x E5-2630v2 CPUs.

No idea where to get the HDD trays, though I imagine they must be easier to search for than GIGABYTE branded ones -- which is what I currently need...
I have dell trays on my gigabyte r180, they work perfectly.

Reactions: azop81 and Samir

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Updated the original listing for the better deal listed above: Wiwynn Lyra SV315 10 SFF (2)Heat Sinks 0GB Mem Rails | eBay

If they didn't charge so much for shipping, I'd be interested in picking one up since I got a large stack of SSDs here.

The Hyve servers were attractive for us because the school gets a wall-mountable network cabinet, that just barely fits the Hyve V1 chassis! So i have three crammed in there, along with a 2U UPS, 2 switches, and a router.

Reactions: Shalita and Samir

azop81

Feb 6, 2022
Can anyone tell me if you can fit 2 x full height PCI’s cards in these? I’m interested in an external sas card and a 10gb nic.

How “loud” are they?

wenter

Nov 17, 2021
Can anyone tell me if you can fit 2 x full height PCI’s cards in these? I’m interested in an external sas card and a 10gb nic.

How “loud” are they?
Yes, 2 full-size cards will fit. I have 10gb and SAS cards in the server.
For remote access you have to purchase a RMM key module, otherwite there is no remote KVM.
Motherboard is Intel S2600GL.
8sff drives are connected to the backplane with 2 connectors. 2 drives on the right have SATA cables connected to them.
Server is pretty loud.

Let me know if there any other questions about this server.

Reactions: Yunia

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Yes, 2 full-size cards will fit. I have 10gb and SAS cards in the server.
For remote access you have to purchase a RMM key module, otherwite there is no remote KVM.
Motherboard is Intel S2600GL.
8sff drives are connected to the backplane with 2 connectors. 2 drives on the right have SATA cables connected to them.
Server is pretty loud.

Let me know if there any other questions about this server.
Are they SAS1 or SAS2?

Noise level? I mean, can we use IPMI and lower the speed/noise of the fans all the way down?

IPMI control in general?

RMM key module... Is there some type of key generator, like the Supermicro IPMI bios' have?

Power levels idle/nearly empty chassis?

wenter

Nov 17, 2021
I think they are SAS2. I am using Fujitsu D3307-A12 controller with SFF8643-to-SFF8087 cables.

Cannot measure noise level, since the server is in the server room with plenty other servers. Next to my desk it was pretty noisy.

I did not find any ways to control fans speed through IPMI.

RMM key module is a physical module Intel AXXRMM4LITE2 Remote Management Module 4 Lite 2 MPG10449-03

Did not measure power level. It did not really matter for me.

Reactions: eduncan911

burly

Mar 2, 2022
Here is my experience so far in case it helps anyone else:

• Out-of-the-Box
    • Server idles around 82W w/ 8x16GB RAM, 2x E5-2650v2, 2x 200GB DC S3710 SSDs booted into proxmox 7.1
    • I needed to add a grub boot delay because when I boot to the ZFS RAID 1 mirror, it drops to initramfs and says it can't import rpool, but I import it manually and it comes right up. Adding in a delay of 10s in grub resolved the issue
    • I'm getting ~49dB from the server @ 1m at idle. It's a full 76dB lulzfest at full bore.
    • There are 6x Sunon PF40561B1-Q080-S99 system fans. They are 40x40x56mm 10-pin 18kRPM 27CFM 68dBA. Datasheet here
  • Gotchas
    • The RJ45 to the right of the VGA on the Intel S2600GZ mobo is SERIAL, not BMC/IPMI. If you plug in a network cable, you'll get spurious keyboard input if serial console redirection is enabled. IPMI is on NIC1S2600GZPorts.png
    • The Intel S2600GZ motherboard has two SFF-8087 ports on it both connected to the on-board controller.
      1. Only port 0 is active out of the box
      2. Only SATA is supported out of the box
      3. The on-board controller can only support SATA 1.5/3Gbps or SAS 1/2 (3Gbps) (if enabled)SATA_SAS_Support.png
      4. The first two vertical pairs of drives are connected to the on-board controller port 0. The second two vertical pairs of drives are unconnected but would connect to port 1
      5. There is no second SFF-8087 cable connecting the controller to the SAS/SATA backplane out-of-the-box
      6. The vertical pair of drives all the way to the right are connected to the on-board 6Gbps SATA ports
      7. The backplane is 6Gbps maximum
      8. An RMM upgrade key is needed for remote KVM support (which itself, requires Java)
  • Options
    • To address #1, you need an upgrade key to activate port 1.
    • To address #2, you need an upgrade key to enable SAS.
    • To address #3, you need an IO module or an add-on PCIe card and riser. Be warned, if you get one of these IO modules, I'm not sure if you can flash them into IT mode and they don't support JBOD AFAICT, so they may be bad juju for ZFS/TrueNAS or potentially even Unraid. A PCIe riser board and an LSI 9207-8i/9211-8i or equivalent in IT mode is likely easier and cheaper in the end.
    • To address #5, you need another cable. The straight SFF 8087 - 8087 #11 cables fit just fine into the backplane and also into my LSI 9207-8i. If you use an H200/PERC that has the SFF connectors on the top of the card and not facing the rear, then you'll need to put the card in the slot closest to the PSU. Cable length of 1m was a bit too long for the longest run, so the 0.8m cables are probably best
    • There aren't any options to address #7 that I'm aware of

For 1 & 2 (Keys)
C600UpgradeKeyOptions.png

So if you want:
  • Port 0, 4 drive SAS, you need RKSAS4 "Green".
  • Port 0 & 1 8 drive SAS no-raid 5, you need RKSAS8 "Orange" (~$20 on eBay)
  • Port 0 & 1 8 drive SATA no-raid 5, you need RKSATA8 "Blue" (~$15 on eBay)
  • etc

SATA3/SAS2.1 IOModules
IntegratedRAIDModule.png

Firmware Updates
My servers had fairly dated ME and BMC firmware versions on them. Installing the latest from Intel exposed some more options and did quiet the server down some (more on that in a moment).

Code:
System BIOS: 02.06.0006
ME Firmware: 02.01.07.328
BMC Firmware: 01.28.10603
FRUSDR: 1.14
In the BIOS, I have:
  • "Power and Performance" as "Balanced Performance"
  • "System Acoustic and Performance Configuration" as:
    • Auto
    • 300m or less (choose what is accurate to your location)
    • Acoustic
    • Enabled

Sensor Data Record (SDR) Editing
Even after the BIOS updates and edits, the server was still fairly loud at idle (~49dBA) and wouldn't start spooling up the fans until the CPU cores were hitting 75C, near the thermal limit. I also noticed that the fan speeds didn't seem right. I suspect that the Intel "Other Chassis" SDR profile doesn't actually match these fans and isn't a great fan curve. To address this, you can edit/flash a custom SDR (instructions below, my SDR is attached)

1. Flash the system with the latest BIOS [1]
  2. Reboot the system
  3. Press F6 to get a boot menu
  4. Select `Internal EFI Shell`
  5. Press `ESC` to skip running `startup.nsh`
  6. Edit/copy the custom S2600GZ.SDR file onto the USB flash key you used to update the BIOS with*
  7. Plug-in the USB key to the Wiwynn
  8. Map the drive `map -r` in the EFI shell
  9. Switch to the drive (e.g. `fs2:` if your USB key mapped to that in the previous command)
  10. Run the FRU/SDR update script `UpdateFRUSDR.nsh`
  11. Select "Update only the SDR" by pressing `1`
  12. Select "Other Chassis" by pressing `3`
  13. Select "Slow Ramp" by pressing `1`
  14. System FAN 1A/B - 6A/B are all present, press `y` for each
  15. CPU 1 and CPU 2 fan are not present, nor is the Chassis Intrusion, press `n` for each
  16. Wait for flash to complete
  17. Exit

* You can perform all the file edits in the EFI Shell by switching to the drive and doing `edit S2600GZ.SDR` This is useful when you are tuning different value repeatedly so you don't have to keep shuttling the USB key

**NOTE** I have only edited the Other Chassis Slow Ramp profile. If you use another chassis or ramp profile, you'll get the defaults.

Be sure and run sensors on the device and watch your temps, especially under load (I ran mprime95 -t for about 25mins)
Also note, those "temps" in the fan profile are a bit misleading. Either the ME is following the VRM temp for the fan profile there Or (and more likely) it's using the combination of all the clamp values to calculate which index to use for fan speed. The key is those are not package/core temps in those values
FanSpeedControlProcess.png

Results

With 2x E5-2650v2 (95W) processors and the updated SDR, it ramps up to ~60% fan (9000/7200RPM) and holds the temps at 66-72C under AVX FFT prime95. 3300/2750RPMs is the lowest I can go. I suspect that 10% PWM is the lower limit for controlling the fans at

With 21C ambient:
  • Idle : 36-45C, 3300/2750RPMs, 46dBA
  • Max Load: 65-72C, 9000/7200RPMs, 61dBA

which is about 3dBA quieter under idle and 8dBA quieter under load. It would probably be closer to 55dBA under full load if the PSU fan wasn't so loud. good enough for now

[1] Intel® Server Board S2600GZ/GL Firmware Update Package for Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI)

References:

Future
  1. PSUs are Delta DPS-650AB-6 B and have Delta FDB0412UHN-CF00 fans in them. Those are 40x40x28mm 3-pin 27.1cfm 2.11” H20 18.5K RPM 58.5dBA. They are pretty easy to remove and should be plenty of quieter options with good airflow

Attachments

Last edited:

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I needed to add a grub boot delay because when I boot to the ZFS RAID 1 mirror, it drops to initramfs and says it can't import rpool, but I import it manually and it comes right up. Adding in a delay of 10s in grub resolved the issue
Holy cr*p! I had no idea you could do that. I don't have one of these, but I can think of several times that a delay in GRUB during boot would have probably mitigated a problem I was experiencing. Thanks for sharing it!

burly

Mar 2, 2022
do they support Intel E5-2600 v4 CPUs?
No, the Intel S2600GZ motherboard in these servers only support E5-2600 v1/v2. I believe some have been able to use E5-4600 v1/v2 in a single or dual CPU config but the v3/v4/v5 generations absolutely won't work.

1646882048274.png

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Well @burly I'd say that this is great. Maybe it should be its own post?

Also though, these are like 8-10 year old servers right? How long to capacitors and stuff last? I'd be thinkin about that if I had one now.

burly

Mar 2, 2022
Well @burly I'd say that this is great. Maybe it should be its own post?

Also though, these are like 8-10 year old servers right? How long to capacitors and stuff last? I'd be thinkin about that if I had one now.
I was just following up some of the questions and issues regarding the original Wiwynn Lyra servers that this post started about. You are correct, these are old devices with all the performance, power, and longevity compromises that comes with over more modern options. They are however, very cheap, still quite powerful for many uses, and enterprise gear is frequently very reliable given their original build quality and posh DC lives. YMMV certainly but given these devices were shipping $115 barebones or sub-$400 loaded, they were/are a calculated as long as you understand what they can and cannot do. Hopefully some of this info helps others make a more informed decision - whether to get one of these (or similar) or to justify saving up a bit longer and getting something more modern/performant/efficient/etc.