1u 115x water cooling guide

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JSchuricht

Apr 4, 2011
Hopefully this helps someone, there was vary little information I could find when I started this build.

Background: I am using this as a Blue Iris server and upgraded to an i9-9900k so I can play around with AI a bit more. I was running with a 1u active heatsink rated for 73w which inspired this cooling upgrade.

Part list.
Dynatron L3 1u water cool system
Supermicro 1u 815 E ATX chassis
Supermicro bracket BKT-0028L
2x M3 20mm long screws with washers
2x M3 5mm long countersunk screws, Supermicro MCP-410-00006-0N
4 pin fan extensions or wire, solder, heatshrink

Starting with a Supermicro 815 chassis that is designed for E ATX 12"x13" MB's. Since this is for Blue Iris, I opted for a 4x 3.5" drive bay version with redundant power. I did mock this up with a short depth Supermicro chassis, it looks possible with a 2.5" drivebay version but the 3.5" drivebay version lacks space for the radiator with fans mounted. Here's the standard 12"x9.6" MB with lots of space for the radiator and fans.

Mocking up the radiator, using a level with magnetic base to check clearance on the tubing. This is a Dynatron L3 cooler.

Things look tight but there is clearance even with the plastic under the water block raising everything up.

Here is what you get in the box for mounting the waterblock. There are no instructions, there is a mount for Intel 115x and I am guessing the other is for AMD. There are also a variety of screws with different threads.

The universal metal bracket goes on the back side of the MB but this is an issue for a 1u system.

The camera doesn't capture t well but the universal bracket is raising the MB too far for installation.

You can see how the universal mounting bracket sits on top of the existing CPU socket bracket creating a small mountain.

After a bit of experimentation, Supermicro BKT-0028L solves this issue.

The Supermicro bracket is designed to fit around components on the MB solving the height issue.

The M3 thumb screws included with the Dynatron L3 fit the Supermicro BKT-0028L bracket.

Next up mounting the radiator. There are two M3 threaded holes on each side of the radiator. Measure and drill a couple of holes, run the countersink bit, deburr and we are ready to mount the radiator using two M3 screws normally used to mount 2.5" drives in Supermicro hotswap bays.

Countersinking is important so the screws do not catch anything when sliding the chassis in the rack. If you do it right you can take a credit card and slide it over the hole without catching anything.

The radiator is secure now, for my setup lining the radiator up with the lip in the chassis worked well. I do recommend not removing the fans, I had to pull the radiator back out to reinstall them.

Now we get to the second challenge. The M3 thumb screws are in the way of the tubing.

Solution... two M3 20mm long screws with washers. This allows the tubing to lay down.

Rechecking clearance with the waterblock mounted and there is plenty of room to install the lid on the chassis.

How the unit fits before routing wires.

Challenge #3, the fan wires are too short. I chose to extend them with solder and heatshrink but there an extension cable would have been quicker.

Many zip ties later...

Add in the 10Gb NIC.

Possible future mod, make a fan shroud and add one more fan for the NIC.

Last edited:

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I have this supermicro 1u case with supermicro z97 mb, bought it from ebay though never had a chance to play with it. Is it good for overclocking?

JSchuricht

Apr 4, 2011
It should cool the CPU better than a 1u passive or active heatsink but its no where as large as a desktop sized radiator. You may be able to do some light overclocking depending on how hard you push stuff and how good your CPU is.

Reactions: Bert