1U 10sff supermicro X10SRH-CF - 185$

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
Yep, many ways to remove 3.3v. 3.3v has not been used for drives in a very long time, back to the days of the IBM microdrive. So in its infinite wisdom the SATA committee decided to repurpose one of the 3.3v pins on drives as a sense pin: when pulled high, the drive will reset itself. This could be triggered via GPIO by a backplane to kick a particularly stubborn drive, for instance. But when connected directly to a PSU providing 12v/5v/3.3v on its SATA power cables, this results in the drive never coming out of reset.

It is much easier to find power splitters (SATA to 4xSATA, or Molex to 4xSATA) than it is to find SAS breakout cables with integrated power splitters. So for instance, PSU Molex cable to Molex-to-4xSATA splitter to back of the 8482 breakout cable to the drive. (I like to use the SATA-4xSATA splitters with insulation-displacing connectors, that are easy to reposition to match the spacing of the drive cages.)

OrdinanceB

Apr 3, 2018
SFF equals no go for me.
Thanks! It will be a headless server only, so sound is not needed. I'm looking at a few of these including a 1U LFF up in Canada. Neither have the CPU that I would want to keep, so that's not a deciding factor. The 1U LFF would be more useful to me in the fact that I could test everything and migrate my 4 disk ZFS Pool from the Dell before moving everything to the R4 case, which would likely need a bunch of new cables since I use SAS drives.
I've been watching both and the SFF was also a no-go for me as well but wanted the board. I've got a ton of LFF 1U Supermicro cases and didn't need another, especially an atx only case, but may be able to find a use for an LFF case. Canadian seller accepted $100 CAD, which is about $75 USD. Shipping was $100 CAD, so $150 USD total plus tax. From the research I have done, looks like there should be no import fees unless the seller does something super janky.

Reactions: Samir and billbillw

billbillw

Feb 5, 2018
I've been watching both and the SFF was also a no-go for me as well but wanted the board. I've got a ton of LFF 1U Supermicro cases and didn't need another, especially an atx only case, but may be able to find a use for an LFF case. Canadian seller accepted $100 CAD, which is about $75 USD. Shipping was $100 CAD, so $150 USD total plus tax. From the research I have done, looks like there should be no import fees unless the seller does something super janky.
Let us know how it arrives in....February? LOL. I was leaning towards the one in Calgary, but my last few shipments from Canada took forever, and the one time I had a problem, the cost to send it back was prohibitive. There shouldn't be any Duty on a shipment that values $100 CAD.

Reactions: Samir