1st gen Xeon Scalable and high density LRDIMM support

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

blinkenlights

May 24, 2019
I’m looking at adding 4Rx4 128GB LRDIMMs with 16Gb chips.
Wow, it just got real. If you are following population guidelines for those processors (6 channels, matching, for each processor) you will have 1.5TB of volatile memory o_O

;) So, a couple of variables to consider here: you are running ES processors, which means "at your own risk" for virtually anything, including memory support. If Supermicro says high-density modules are not supported on 1st Gen Scalable, how much more does that guidance apply to pre-release processors?

If you are willing to risk the memory not working, you could dig around the Intel DDR4 LRDIMM validation reports to see which (if any) have been tested by Intel's preferred labs and hope the same can be said for your processors installed in the Supermicro board: DDR4 LRDIMM Platform Memory Operations Validation Results

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: ipreferpie

ipreferpie

May 27, 2018
Wow, it just got real. If you are following population guidelines for those processors (6 channels, matching, for each processor) you will have 1.5TB of volatile memory o_O

;) So, a couple of variables to consider here: you are running ES processors, which means "at your own risk" for virtually anything, including memory support. If Supermicro says high-density modules are not supported on 1st Gen Scalable, how much more does that guidance apply to pre-release processors?

If you are willing to risk the memory not working, you could dig around the Intel DDR4 LRDIMM validation reports to see which (if any) have been tested by Intel's preferred labs and hope the same can be said for your processors installed in the Supermicro board: DDR4 LRDIMM Platform Memory Operations Validation Results

Good luck!
Hey thanks for the link! Found the DIMMs in the list. So I'll cross my fingers and give it a try. The ES2 CPUs so far have been stable. Will come back with the results (hopefully positive :) )